Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless DSL Connection Dilemma

Wireless DSL Connection Dilemma

John O'Boyle

I have a small Sony notebook computer that my wife and I use exclusively
when we're traveling. We've never had a problem with wireless
connections in any of the hotels, or in fact friends and relatives homes
in which we stayed, wherein they used cable modems. We have, however,
had absolutely zero success in those homes where broadband is provided
via DSL.

Is there some communications software that I need to install on my
system in order to be able to connect with these DSL services. I can
see the wireless router in these situations, but I apparently cannot
connect. In some instances, I know I'm supposed to have an opportunity
to provide the Wep or WPA key, but that dialogue never appears.

Any and all help will be appreciated. It's a really frustrating situation.

Thank you.

JLOB

John

"John O'Boyle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there some communications software that I need to install on my system
> in order to be able to connect with these DSL services. I can see the
> wireless router in these situations, but I apparently cannot connect.

What happens when you connect (double click the wifi network name)? What
operating system are you using? What wireless card is in your Sony notebook?

Lem

John O'Boyle wrote:
> I have a small Sony notebook computer that my wife and I use exclusively
> when we're traveling. We've never had a problem with wireless
> connections in any of the hotels, or in fact friends and relatives homes
> in which we stayed, wherein they used cable modems. We have, however,
> had absolutely zero success in those homes where broadband is provided
> via DSL.
>
> Is there some communications software that I need to install on my
> system in order to be able to connect with these DSL services. I can
> see the wireless router in these situations, but I apparently cannot
> connect. In some instances, I know I'm supposed to have an opportunity
> to provide the Wep or WPA key, but that dialogue never appears.
>
> Any and all help will be appreciated. It's a really frustrating situation.
>
> Thank you.
>
> JLOB

How your friends get broadband is not relevant. What is relevant is how
they have configured their wireless routers.

Without more information describing what happens at the locations where
you can't connect, I can only guess -- and I guess that several of your
friends didn't bother to change the name of their wireless network from
the router's default (e.g., Linksys or Netgear).

The first time you connect to a wireless network, its password (or lack
thereof) is stored by WinXP unless you manually delete that network from
the list of "preferred networks." Thus, if friend 1 (with a cable
connection) had a wireless network with the SSID "Linksys" and a
password of "George", when you are at friend 2's house (with a DSL
connection), if friend 2 also left his network SSID at "Linksys",
Windows will attempt to connect to it using "George" as the password --
Windows can't tell that you're in a different town.
--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
In general (as Lem said above) it should not matter whether the Wireless is
connecting to a Wireless Router/Access Point that receives its Internet
signal from DSL or Cable if they are configured correctly. However while
Cable Internet would not work if the Wireless Router is Not configured
correctly DSL might.
DSL authentication is usually done via ID and Password. Correct
configuration means that the ID and password are keyed into the Router and
the Router does the authentication. If your friends did not configure
correctly the Wireless Router and they are using their computers for
authentication you can not log in.
These two pages describe the actual issue.
Cable Internet - http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
DSL Internet - http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"John O'Boyle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a small Sony notebook computer that my wife and I use exclusively
>when we're traveling. We've never had a problem with wireless connections
>in any of the hotels, or in fact friends and relatives homes in which we
>stayed, wherein they used cable modems. We have, however, had absolutely
>zero success in those homes where broadband is provided via DSL.
>
> Is there some communications software that I need to install on my system
> in order to be able to connect with these DSL services. I can see the
> wireless router in these situations, but I apparently cannot connect. In
> some instances, I know I'm supposed to have an opportunity to provide the
> Wep or WPA key, but that dialogue never appears.
>
> Any and all help will be appreciated. It's a really frustrating
> situation.
>
> Thank you.
>
> JLOB

John O'Boyle

"using their computers for authentication you can not log in." This is
probably the situation. At one stop, a cousins home, I tried first
hooking up my portable Linksys Wireless Router, with no joy.
Thereafter, I cabled directly to the modem, again with zero results. My
guess is that they just don't KNOW what (or where) their authentication
details are.

Thanks for your help though. I'll study the two examples and see if I
can solve this the next time I have the problem.

JLOB

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> In general (as Lem said above) it should not matter whether the Wireless
> is connecting to a Wireless Router/Access Point that receives its
> Internet signal from DSL or Cable if they are configured correctly.
> However while Cable Internet would not work if the Wireless Router is
> Not configured correctly DSL might.
> DSL authentication is usually done via ID and Password. Correct
> configuration means that the ID and password are keyed into the Router
> and the Router does the authentication. If your friends did not
> configure correctly the Wireless Router and they are using their
> computers for authentication you can not log in.
> These two pages describe the actual issue.
> Cable Internet - http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
> DSL Internet - http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "John O'Boyle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a small Sony notebook computer that my wife and I use
>> exclusively when we're traveling. We've never had a problem with
>> wireless connections in any of the hotels, or in fact friends and
>> relatives homes in which we stayed, wherein they used cable modems.
>> We have, however, had absolutely zero success in those homes where
>> broadband is provided via DSL.
>>
>> Is there some communications software that I need to install on my
>> system in order to be able to connect with these DSL services. I can
>> see the wireless router in these situations, but I apparently cannot
>> connect. In some instances, I know I'm supposed to have an
>> opportunity to provide the Wep or WPA key, but that dialogue never
>> appears.
>>
>> Any and all help will be appreciated. It's a really frustrating
>> situation.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> JLOB

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It is Not as simple as just bringing a portable Router.
The way the Router is Configured depend on the hardware that is originally
installed for Internet purposes, and how the authentication is done.
Unless you have all the info correct it will not work.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"John O'Boyle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "using their computers for authentication you can not log in." This is
> probably the situation. At one stop, a cousins home, I tried first
> hooking up my portable Linksys Wireless Router, with no joy. Thereafter, I
> cabled directly to the modem, again with zero results. My guess is that
> they just don't KNOW what (or where) their authentication details are.
>
> Thanks for your help though. I'll study the two examples and see if I can
> solve this the next time I have the problem.
>
> JLOB
>

> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>> Hi
>> In general (as Lem said above) it should not matter whether the Wireless
>> is connecting to a Wireless Router/Access Point that receives its
>> Internet signal from DSL or Cable if they are configured correctly.
>> However while Cable Internet would not work if the Wireless Router is Not
>> configured correctly DSL might.
>> DSL authentication is usually done via ID and Password. Correct
>> configuration means that the ID and password are keyed into the Router
>> and the Router does the authentication. If your friends did not configure
>> correctly the Wireless Router and they are using their computers for
>> authentication you can not log in.
>> These two pages describe the actual issue.
>> Cable Internet - http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
>> DSL Internet - http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> "John O'Boyle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have a small Sony notebook computer that my wife and I use exclusively
>>> when we're traveling. We've never had a problem with wireless
>>> connections in any of the hotels, or in fact friends and relatives homes
>>> in which we stayed, wherein they used cable modems. We have, however,
>>> had absolutely zero success in those homes where broadband is provided
>>> via DSL.
>>>
>>> Is there some communications software that I need to install on my
>>> system in order to be able to connect with these DSL services. I can
>>> see the wireless router in these situations, but I apparently cannot
>>> connect. In some instances, I know I'm supposed to have an opportunity
>>> to provide the Wep or WPA key, but that dialogue never appears.
>>>
>>> Any and all help will be appreciated. It's a really frustrating
>>> situation.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> JLOB

John O'Boyle

So I discovered! And in each of the situations, I'm dealing with people
who are less than network-literate, and only care THAT it works, not
how! Thanks again.

J.

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> It is Not as simple as just bringing a portable Router.
> The way the Router is Configured depend on the hardware that is
> originally installed for Internet purposes, and how the authentication
> is done.
> Unless you have all the info correct it will not work.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "John O'Boyle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "using their computers for authentication you can not log in." This
>> is probably the situation. At one stop, a cousins home, I tried first
>> hooking up my portable Linksys Wireless Router, with no joy.
>> Thereafter, I cabled directly to the modem, again with zero results.
>> My guess is that they just don't KNOW what (or where) their
>> authentication details are.
>>
>> Thanks for your help though. I'll study the two examples and see if I
>> can solve this the next time I have the problem.
>>
>> JLOB
>>

>> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> In general (as Lem said above) it should not matter whether the
>>> Wireless is connecting to a Wireless Router/Access Point that
>>> receives its Internet signal from DSL or Cable if they are configured
>>> correctly. However while Cable Internet would not work if the
>>> Wireless Router is Not configured correctly DSL might.
>>> DSL authentication is usually done via ID and Password. Correct
>>> configuration means that the ID and password are keyed into the
>>> Router and the Router does the authentication. If your friends did
>>> not configure correctly the Wireless Router and they are using their
>>> computers for authentication you can not log in.
>>> These two pages describe the actual issue.
>>> Cable Internet - http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
>>> DSL Internet - http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
>>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>>
>>> "John O'Boyle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

random

Cable uses MTU of 1500, DSL uses usually 1492. Change your MTU. The End.

David B.

That would be 95% of the computing public.

news:eaq$W$(E-Mail Removed)...

connection pooling dilemma josh Java 6 02-08-2008 05:46 PM
Wireless connection DSL =?Utf-8?B?VGV4YXNidWRkaWU=?= Wireless Networking 3 10-29-2006 01:06 AM
wireless connection to a wireless router attached to a dsl modem =?Utf-8?B?bWhlcnJpbmcwMjA5?= Wireless Networking 1 06-10-2005 04:58 AM
Wireless Printing Dilemma =?Utf-8?B?YmhpZ2dpbnM=?= Wireless Networking 3 01-10-2005 03:39 PM
Router / Wireless Router Dilemma RedRover Wireless Networking 2 12-16-2004 06:21 PM

Advertisments