Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Telecom obliged to provide service?

Re: Telecom obliged to provide service?

Richard

ofn01 wrote:
> I know someone who is in a block of flats that have jackpoints - but
> apparently is not serviced.
>
> Telecom have said they won't connect up his flat because it isn't worth it
> for one flat..
>
> Seems a bit odd?

There are many serviced apartments that have entered into exclucivity
agreements with some telcos. I was at ihug when some student places went
with them exclusivly. I hated the idea and thought that it was stupid on
their part to enter the agreement but thats not the sort of thing you
say about your work at the time.

Anyway, I think there was some legal challange about the body
corp/management of the building preventing access to other service
providers - no idea how far it got, but if there is say telstraclear or
vector into the building only and no telecom then it may be a case that
it needs several 1000 in outside work and some vertical cabling to
service the place.

EMB

Richard wrote:
> Anyway, I think there was some legal challange about the body
> corp/management of the building preventing access to other service
> providers - no idea how far it got, but if there is say telstraclear or
> vector into the building only and no telecom then it may be a case that
> it needs several 1000 in outside work and some vertical cabling to
> service the place.

It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. We are
currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

Richard

EMB wrote:
> Richard wrote:

> It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
> amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. We are
> currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
> charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

What about if you make that fiber yours so they are not dealing with
telstraclear but you?

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Feb 10, 7:14*am, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Anyway, I think there was some legal challange about the body
> > corp/management of the building preventing access to other service
> > providers - no idea how far it got, but if there is say telstraclear or
> > vector into the building only and no telecom then it may be a case that
> > it needs several 1000 in outside work and some vertical cabling to
> > service the place.

> It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
> amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. *We are
> currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
> charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

mad....the body corp should see it as an advantage....

regards

Thing

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Feb 10, 12:06*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> EMB wrote:
> > Richard wrote:
> > It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
> > amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. *We are
> > currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
> > charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

> What about if you make that fiber yours so they are not dealing with
> telstraclear but you?

He probably would still need permission to run it through a common
area, which the body corp could block...thats the big problem with
multiple occupancy dwellings/buildings....at $10k per annum its
probably cheaper and easier to move. I have several friends who have
moved out of such after the old foggies blocked, bickerred, unfairly
allocated costs and/or over-priced/costed work....it turns into a
nightmare....

regards

Thing

PeeCee

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Feb 10, 7:14 am, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Anyway, I think there was some legal challange about the body
> > corp/management of the building preventing access to other service
> > providers - no idea how far it got, but if there is say telstraclear or
> > vector into the building only and no telecom then it may be a case that
> > it needs several 1000 in outside work and some vertical cabling to
> > service the place.

> It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
> amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. We are
> currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
> charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

mad....the body corp should see it as an advantage....

regards

Thing

No different to Microsofts attitude, if it can make money, screw em!

Paul.

EMB

Richard wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>> Richard wrote:

>> It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
>> amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. We
>> are currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp
>> wants to charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

> What about if you make that fiber yours so they are not dealing with
> telstraclear but you?

It is in a common area so they want rent for it. End of story (and the
body corp in question are a pack of cnuts).

EMB

> On Feb 10, 7:14 am, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Richard wrote:
>>> Anyway, I think there was some legal challange about the body
>>> corp/management of the building preventing access to other service
>>> providers - no idea how far it got, but if there is say telstraclear or
>>> vector into the building only and no telecom then it may be a case that
>>> it needs several 1000 in outside work and some vertical cabling to
>>> service the place.

>> It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
>> amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. We are
>> currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
>> charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

> mad....the body corp should see it as an advantage....

The cynic in me says they have made a pact with the devil (or at least
with Telecom) and will actively discourage other providers getting
connectivity into the complex.

EMB

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> He probably would still need permission to run it through a common
> area, which the body corp could block...thats the big problem with
> multiple occupancy dwellings/buildings....at $10k per annum its
> probably cheaper and easier to move.

The last move cost us $75K so it's unlikely that this will be the
catalyst for a move, but it will get very interesting shortly.

Enkidu

EMB wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> EMB wrote:
>>> Richard wrote:

>>> It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a
>>> significant amount of rent for running their cabling through a
>>> common area. We are currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge
>>> that the body corp wants to charge Telstraclear if they run fibre
>>> in to our server room.

>> What about if you make that fiber yours so they are not dealing
>> with telstraclear but you?

> It is in a common area so they want rent for it. End of story (and
> the body corp in question are a pack of cnuts).

Short range microwave? You wouldn't get fibre bandwidth, but it depends
what you need.

Cheers,

Cliff

--