Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network key

Network key

Sanford Aranoff

XP Prof, desktop, connects to Internet via cable.
XP Prof, laptop, connects via wireless
XP Home, laptop. "Wireless connection is excellent."
However, it needs the network key. We have the key written
down, and added the key. It does not accept it. We do not
want to reset the Belkin router. Can we work on the Home
laptop with no key? How does one do this?

Thanks.

John

"Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP Prof, desktop, connects to Internet via cable.
> XP Prof, laptop, connects via wireless
> XP Home, laptop. "Wireless connection is excellent."
> However, it needs the network key. We have the key written
> down, and added the key. It does not accept it. We do not

It's possible that there's a security mismatch between the router and
laptop. What security are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2?

> want to reset the Belkin router. Can we work on the Home
> laptop with no key? How does one do this?

Yes, use ethernet cable.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You do not need the reset the Router. You can log to its menu (look at the
Router's manual) and change the Wireless Encryption key while making sure
that you wrote it down correctly.
The best way is to copy it via Windows copy paste to a text file, and then
copy and paste from the text file to the Wireless Client's Key entry.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP Prof, desktop, connects to Internet via cable.
> XP Prof, laptop, connects via wireless
> XP Home, laptop. "Wireless connection is excellent."
> However, it needs the network key. We have the key written
> down, and added the key. It does not accept it. We do not
> want to reset the Belkin router. Can we work on the Home
> laptop with no key? How does one do this?
>
> Thanks.

Sanford Aranoff

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> You do not need the reset the Router. You can log to its menu (look at the
> Router's manual) and change the Wireless Encryption key while making sure
> that you wrote it down correctly.
> The best way is to copy it via Windows copy paste to a text file, and then
> copy and paste from the text file to the Wireless Client's Key entry.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > XP Prof, desktop, connects to Internet via cable.
> > XP Prof, laptop, connects via wireless
> > XP Home, laptop. "Wireless connection is excellent."
> > However, it needs the network key. We have the key written
> > down, and added the key. It does not accept it. We do not
> > want to reset the Belkin router. Can we work on the Home
> > laptop with no key? How does one do this?
> >
> > Thanks.

Okay, let me try to explain again the problem. The desktop
and one portable work fine. We have the key, written down
(and also from a freeware program). We went to the second
portable and added this key. In spite of the message that
the Internet connection signal is excellent, it does not
connect: Message: Router requires a key. But we gave it the
correct key (copied from the portable that works fine).

This is the message:
Connected
Security-enabled wireless network
This network requires a network key. You are currently
connected to the network. To disconnect from the network,
click Disconnect below.

Phillip Windell

"Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is the message:
> Connected
> Security-enabled wireless network
> This network requires a network key. You are currently
> connected to the network. To disconnect from the network,
> click Disconnect below.

It says you are connected,...therefore the Key worked. If the key didn't
work you would not be connected.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

John

"Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is the message: Connected

What is NOT CLEAR about that?

> Security-enabled wireless network

Ok, so it tells you the network is protected (not open).

> This network requires a network key.

Another message telling you that you need a key IF you want to connect to
the network.

> You are currently
> connected to the network. To disconnect from the network,
> click Disconnect below.

So, you ARE connected. What's the problem?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Seeing a good signal does not mean that there is a Network connection. It
means that the Radio in the Wireless card is capable to receiving a WIFI
signal
I do not know what type Wireless Encryption you are using.
With WEP there can be differences between how computer handle the key. (
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep ).
In any case the easiest way is to insure first that all Wireless computers
work OK is to establish that all of them can use the Internet without
Security, and then secure all the Wireless computers with New Fresh Key.
Your first post is more than 48 hours ago, logging to the Router's menus and
disabling the security take less than a minute.
Otherwise I am sure that there are professional people that can provide
onsite service.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> You do not need the reset the Router. You can log to its menu (look at
>> the
>> Router's manual) and change the Wireless Encryption key while making sure
>> that you wrote it down correctly.
>> The best way is to copy it via Windows copy paste to a text file, and
>> then
>> copy and paste from the text file to the Wireless Client's Key entry.
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> "Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > XP Prof, desktop, connects to Internet via cable.
>> > XP Prof, laptop, connects via wireless
>> > XP Home, laptop. "Wireless connection is excellent."
>> > However, it needs the network key. We have the key written
>> > down, and added the key. It does not accept it. We do not
>> > want to reset the Belkin router. Can we work on the Home
>> > laptop with no key? How does one do this?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

> Okay, let me try to explain again the problem. The desktop
> and one portable work fine. We have the key, written down
> (and also from a freeware program). We went to the second
> portable and added this key. In spite of the message that
> the Internet connection signal is excellent, it does not
> connect: Message: Router requires a key. But we gave it the
> correct key (copied from the portable that works fine).
>
> This is the message:
> Connected
> Security-enabled wireless network
> This network requires a network key. You are currently
> connected to the network. To disconnect from the network,
> click Disconnect below.

Sanford Aranoff

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Seeing a good signal does not mean that there is a Network connection. It
> means that the Radio in the Wireless card is capable to receiving a WIFI
> signal
> I do not know what type Wireless Encryption you are using.
> With WEP there can be differences between how computer handle the key. (
> http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep ).
> In any case the easiest way is to insure first that all Wireless computers
> work OK is to establish that all of them can use the Internet without
> Security, and then secure all the Wireless computers with New Fresh Key.
> Your first post is more than 48 hours ago, logging to the Router's menus and
> disabling the security take less than a minute.
> Otherwise I am sure that there are professional people that can provide
> onsite service.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >> You do not need the reset the Router. You can log to its menu (look at
> >> the
> >> Router's manual) and change the Wireless Encryption key while making sure
> >> that you wrote it down correctly.
> >> The best way is to copy it via Windows copy paste to a text file, and
> >> then
> >> copy and paste from the text file to the Wireless Client's Key entry.
> >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
> >>
> >> "Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Okay, let me try to explain again the problem. The desktop
> > and one portable work fine. We have the key, written down
> > (and also from a freeware program). We went to the second
> > portable and added this key. In spite of the message that
> > the Internet connection signal is excellent, it does not
> > connect: Message: Router requires a key. But we gave it the
> > correct key (copied from the portable that works fine).
> >
> > This is the message:
> > Connected
> > Security-enabled wireless network
> > This network requires a network key. You are currently
> > connected to the network. To disconnect from the network,
> > click Disconnect below.

WEP encryption.