Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Stylesheet to make IE and FF closer?

Re: Stylesheet to make IE and FF closer?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is it possible to use CSS to make it so that the differences in
> how IE, FF and Opera handle things like font sizes is minimized?
>
> Is there a "default" stylesheet that I can look at that IE or FF
> or Opera uses when there is no user-provided stylesheet ?

It doesn't mean anything. Don't worry about it. If you want things to
look the same across browsers, use PDF.

One way to see what browsers do is to make a plain "Hello World" page
without any styling, and open it in various browsers. If you have set
the font and font size the same on all YOUR browsers, it will look the
same, otherwise it will not. But, of course, you can't be going round
to people's houses and make them change their settings.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

C A Upsdell

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>> Is it possible to use CSS to make it so that the differences in
>> how IE, FF and Opera handle things like font sizes is minimized?
>>
>> Is there a "default" stylesheet that I can look at that IE or FF
>> or Opera uses when there is no user-provided stylesheet ?

> One way to see what browsers do is to make a plain "Hello World" page
> without any styling, and open it in various browsers.

Such a page appears at
http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_fontsize.htm ... though you may
not care for the advice which appears on this plain page.

dorayme

In article <Xns9BAC5A8484ABAarbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ... it will look the
> same, otherwise it will not. But, of course, you can't be going round
> to people's houses and make them change their settings.

The Israelis rang up Palestinians in their hundreds or thousands to tell
them to get out of their houses before they were bombed. A rich
government site author might consider...

--
dorayme

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2009-02-08, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>
>>If you want things to look the same across browsers, use PDF.

> Not looking for same. Don't think I can get that Looking for closer
> than default. If I use no CSS, IE and FF have different font sizes.

On your computer they may. On someone else's, their relative sizes
may be different. You *cannot* know exactly how a page will look on
someone else's scomputer unless you are sitting in front of it.

Author:

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns9BAC5A8484ABAarbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102>,
> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ... it will look the
>> same, otherwise it will not. But, of course, you can't be going round
>> to people's houses and make them change their settings.

> The Israelis rang up Palestinians in their hundreds or thousands to tell
> them to get out of their houses before they were bombed. A rich
> government site author might consider...

Thank you, dorayme, I needed a good laugh. The US can't afford to do
something like that - well, at least California can't.