Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Launch internet explorer to open link in Firefox?

Launch internet explorer to open link in Firefox?

Marty

Sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup to post in...

I've got a customized home page with a shortcut to a network location which
when opened in internet explorer provides an explorer interface to
edit/move/copy etc. the files.
In Firefox it just loads a read only view of files in the location.

Is it possible in the html to make the link open in internet explorer as an
explorer view instead?

Many thanks in advance

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Marty" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:55Ejl.6920$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> Sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup to post in...
>
> I've got a customized home page with a shortcut to a network location
> which when opened in internet explorer provides an explorer interface
> to edit/move/copy etc. the files.
> In Firefox it just loads a read only view of files in the location.
>
> Is it possible in the html to make the link open in internet explorer
> as an explorer view instead?
>
> Many thanks in advance

Yes, when you make the shortcut, specify which browser in the command
line. You will have to Google for it though, I don't remember the
parameters.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Marty

Thanks Adrienne,
It is possible using html then.
"Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9BAC5AC0176FBarbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102 ...
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Marty" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:55Ejl.6920$(E-Mail Removed)2:
>
>> Sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup to post in...
>>
>> I've got a customized home page with a shortcut to a network location
>> which when opened in internet explorer provides an explorer interface
>> to edit/move/copy etc. the files.
>> In Firefox it just loads a read only view of files in the location.
>>
>> Is it possible in the html to make the link open in internet explorer
>> as an explorer view instead?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance
>>

> Yes, when you make the shortcut, specify which browser in the command
> line. You will have to Google for it though, I don't remember the
> parameters.
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell at Home
> Arbpen Web Site Design Services
> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

John Hosking

Marty wrote:

[top-posting fixed]

> "Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9BAC5AC0176FBarbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102 ...
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Marty" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> writing in news:55Ejl.6920$(E-Mail Removed)2:
>>
>>> Sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup to post in...
>>>
>>> I've got a customized home page with a shortcut to a network location
>>> which when opened in internet explorer provides an explorer interface
>>> to edit/move/copy etc. the files.
>>> In Firefox it just loads a read only view of files in the location.
>>>
>>> Is it possible in the html to make the link open in internet explorer
>>> as an explorer view instead?
>>>

>> Yes, when you make the shortcut, specify which browser in the command
>> line. You will have to Google for it though, I don't remember the
>> parameters.
>>

> Thanks Adrienne,
> It is possible using html then.

No, it's not. I believe Adrienne's pointing to making a change in your
OS (or rather, shell). As I assume you're using some flavor of Windows,
you'd need to make some change either to the one particular shortcut or
file (right-click the file, from the context menu select Properties,
under "Opens with:" click on Change, select Internet Explorer [or
whatever program]) or all files of that type (in Windows Explorer select
Tools, Folder Options, File Types, and then change the program for HTM
or HTML [or both] file types).

Possibly you'll need to refine the modification to include some
parameter to do the explorer view, which is what I think Adrienne says
you should search for (I don't know either), but it's nothing to do with
your HTML's content.

In future, please don't top-post. And please do trim signatures.

HTH

--
John
The UIP still lives: http://improve-usenet.org/