Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Security against fire..

Re: Security against fire..

Jeff Stehman

Who Me? wrote:
> I am considering balsa wood; inside a fire safe it should use
> up all the air while charring the outer layer, while still insulating
> the plastic flash card from heat that would melt it. Anyone have a
> better idea? I don't have to start with a fire safe.

I don't think flame/oxygen will be your enemy inside the safe, just
heat. I considered the same problem for CDs last year and opted for a
wooden box lined with 1.5" of rigid foam insulation, but I can't make
any claims about effectiveness.

--Jeff Stehman

Bear Bottoms

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 08:27:57 -0600, Jeff Stehman wrote:

> Who Me? wrote:
>> I am considering balsa wood; inside a fire safe it should use
>> up all the air while charring the outer layer, while still insulating
>> the plastic flash card from heat that would melt it. Anyone have a
>> better idea? I don't have to start with a fire safe.

> I don't think flame/oxygen will be your enemy inside the safe, just
> heat. I considered the same problem for CDs last year and opted for a
> wooden box lined with 1.5" of rigid foam insulation, but I can't make
> any claims about effectiveness.
>
> --Jeff Stehman

Try burning it.

duh