Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > My Vintage Fantasy PC

My Vintage Fantasy PC

GreenXenon

Hi:

http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-93.html

From the looks of all MoBo's on that site, the "UMC 386DX-40" is
probably the best for my vintage dream PC.

My vintage dream PC contains that MoBo along with the following:

1. OS: Windows 3.0 [not 3.0a, just 3.0] in enhanced mode with "Windows
3.0 Multimedia" & "Windows with Multimedia Extensions Version 1.0"

See http://www.computing.net/answers/win...edia/3542.html

2. Sound Card: SB16 ISA [all accessories -- such as speakers --
included]

3. Most advanced graphics/video card and PC monitor [screen] that
would still be compatible with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/
hardwares in my vintage dream PC

4. NDW [Norton Desktop for Windows] with Sleeper [screensaver] and
batchrun.exe -- "Norton Desktop (Utility Suite) for Windows 3.0", I
believe.

5. Canyon.mid [midi file often present with Windows OSes] -- Windows
3.0 version if the song specifically sounds different in 3.0

6. Window Entertainment Pack [including the Idlewild screensaver]

7. Creative Lab's SB16 FM MIDI kit

8. The CD-ROM disk that contains what's described in the following
link:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...7ec0bb21f6d19b

9. Three ISA-card modems for the following:

A. The 1st modem is to be used similar to a phone. Perhaps to talk
over the phone via the PC. It is the most advanced ISA telephone card
that would still be compatible with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/
hardwares in my vintage dream PC

B. The 2nd modem is for dial-up internet access and uses the most
advanced MFSK-based ISA dial-up modem that would still be compatible
with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC.
Of course this assumes that MFSK-based modems would exist for internet
access and be compatible with the other softwares/hardwares in my
vintage dream PC. If MFSK is not an option, then FSK is okay. Hoping
for MFSK but prepared for FSK if MFSK is not possible.

FSK = Frequency-Shift Keying

MFSK = Multiple-Frequency-Shift-Keying.

If MFSK is indeed existent and compatible with the rest of my system,
then I would prefer that it be the type of MFSK which uses the most
bits-per-baud that is fully-compatible with the rest of my system.

Even better if the remote PC that connects my PC to the internet has
the same characteristics as my dream PC and is located in central
Switzerland while I am in Southern California.

Yup! Long Distance International Dial-Up Internet Access!

C. The 3rd modem uses the European Deaf Telephone [EDT] protocol and
can be used to communicate with the EDT devices in Switzerland. Of
course, I'm assuming this even exists for PCs. Most likely, there is
no EDT-compatible interface for PCs and even if they were, I doubt
they would work with Win 3.0. Hopefully, I'm wrong and EDT does work
with Win 3.0 and the PC hardware. Again, this should be the most
advanced ISA EDT modem that would still be compatible with Windows 3.0
and other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC

10. The most advanced Netscape-based browser that would be compatible
with Win 3.0

11. "The Software Toolworks Multimedia Encyclopedia", Version 1.5,
Grolier, Inc. (1992)

All of the above should be fully-compatible with the UMC 386DX-40
motherboard.

Thanks