Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Encoding/Encryption

Re: Encoding/Encryption

Mike Easter

sugaree wrote:

> Recently, when someone emails me a message with an
> attachment, such as a music download, the message
> starts with "begin 666" then the whole message is
> encrypted. I'm usuing MS IE SP6, and I'm using
> Gmail. Can anyone help explain why this happens and
> what I can do to fix it? Thanks anybody

I'm understanding you to say that you are using MS IE6 to view your mail
in gmail's webmail, not your OE to handle gmail's pop or imap
availability.

I further understand that you are seeing the UUE encoding structure begin
666 followed by the uuencoded data and you are trying to figure out how to
handle it.

Gmail does not support UUEncoded attachments
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=69802 or
http://snipr.com/bhnnd Check the message headers to ensure that the
attachment is not UU-encoded, a method that Gmail doesn't support. Look
for the following text at the beginning of the attachment content: ....
begin 666 ...

There are a couple of ways that you can hack your way to decoding the uue.

- you can download, say pop, your gmail into your OE's inbox and open it
with OE
- you can copy the gmail's message source and save it as an .eml file and
doubleclicking it will open it in OE
- you can access the gmail's message source and isolate the uuencoded
part and copy it and save it as a .uue file and use some kind of decrypter
such as IceOws or IZArc on the .uue and decode the binary into its
appropriate form

In order to do the latter 2 maneuvers with the message source, in gmail
you open the mail and use the tool which is labeled 'Reply' but click its
arrow instead of reply to get the other options, which includes 'show
original'. The original is the message source. If you copy the whole
thing and paste it into something like NotePad or better if that will hold
it, then save the text/ascii file to disk as blah.eml. Then you open that
which will fire up OE.

Alternatively, you only save part of that message source. The part that
is isolated by the begin 666 part and copy it and paste it into something
to save it with and name that file blah.uue. Then you have to decode it
with an arc/dearc that will also handle uue. That will turn it into
probably some kind of binary like a graphic attachment, ie jpg or
whatever.

Probably easiest would be the .eml save route.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

sugaree wrote:

> I can't open the file that you referenced.

It is possible that my usage of the string (begin666) may have caused
trouble for your OE and caused everything after that to look like an
attachment.

Here's a repost of what I said before with slight modification to prevent
that glitch.

sugaree wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

> I can't open the file that you referenced.

Referenced?

I don't understand what that sentence means. Which specific file that I
referenced?

Does that sentence mean that you accessed the gmail message source as
described and copied it in its entirety and saved it to disk as blah.eml
and you couldn't open blah.eml?

Or does that sentence mean that you accessed the gmail message source as
described and copied the part of it after the (begin666) part and saved
that as blah.uue and you couldn't open blah.uue?

Or does that sentence mean that you think that my message contained an
attachment with a name of ... and you couldn't open that?

If you put your remarks inline for context it will be easier for me to
understand what you are saying.

> Do you
> have any other suggestions?

I haven't figured out what happened to the first 3 suggestions I made yet.

> If I used a different
> email like Hotmail, would the same thing happen,
> ie, is this a Gmail problem?

Gmail can't handle uue attachments. My other message described 3
workarounds. I have never had a hotmail account, so I can't advise you
about that.

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mike Easter wrote:

> It is possible that my usage of the string (begin666) may have caused
> trouble for your OE and caused everything after that to look like an
> attachment.

S'far as I remember, putting "begin 666" only screws up OE if it is on
the first line of the body of the message, and by itself. Elsewhere in
the body should have no effect.

It's an ancient OE bug...

--
-bts

Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>> It is possible that my usage of the string (begin666) may have caused
>> trouble for your OE and caused everything after that to look like an
>> attachment.

> S'far as I remember, putting "begin 666" only screws up OE if it is on
> the first line of the body of the message, and by itself. Elsewhere in
> the body should have no effect.
>
> It's an ancient OE bug...

Yes it is ancient, but...

the begin bug is/means that any message body *line* has to start with
begin and be followed by two blank spaces, not that the message body has
to start with begin on the first line^1.

According to Tom Koch, the begin bug was cleared up in XP SP2 2005 June^2.

According to my recollection, sugaree's OE 6.00.2900.3138 should be so
corrected.

But... it looks to me like sugaree's (maybe) bottom posted reply to me
news:(E-Mail Removed) was cut off exactly at
the point where I used the begin string, which would have been the 'end'
of my message (the rest of my message would have appeared as an
attachment, maybe the 'file' she referenced) if her view of my message was
truncated by the begin bug.

^1 http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#beginattach OE sees an
attachment where none exists (the BEGIN bug)

^2 http://www.insideoe.com/ Bug fix for OE in WinXP-SP2 17-Jun-05

--
Mike Easter