Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question on MagicJack

Question on MagicJack

annabaum100@yahoo.com

Question on MagicJack
************************************

My question is
Do all the calls come thru a PC/Laptop device ?
Does the laptop have to be on for this service to work ?

If this is so, then this is a problem. That means if my laptop is not
on, I will miss calls

Currently I have Comcast cable Internet and telephone service.
I have a wireless router for my laptop: internet.

Pls let me know as I am ignorant how MagicJack works.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
anna

VanguardLH

annabaum100 wrote:

> Do all the calls come thru a PC/Laptop device ?

That's how VOIP works.

> Does the laptop have to be on for this service to work ?

If you want to make or receive calls, yes, your computer must be powered
on, Windows running, and their softphone loaded. It is a VOIP service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voip

> If this is so, then this is a problem. That means if my laptop is not
> on, I will miss calls

Wrong. YMax's MagicJack service includes a voicemail service. If you
don't pickup an incoming call whether you ignore the call, the softphone
wasn't loaded to announce the incoming call, or you had the computer
powered off then the caller gets the option of leaving a message. If
they leave a message, you get an e-mail from their voicemail system
telling of the message, plus the message is attached to the e-mail as a
..wmv file so you can listen to it on your computer rather than having to
call into their voicemail system to check.

If there will be extended periods where you will be away from your
computer so you cannot receive calls there, go into your online account
at http://my.magicjack.com/ and enable the forwarding service. Have
calls to your MagicJack phone number forwarded elsewhere, like to your
cell phone.

> Currently I have Comcast cable Internet and telephone service.

So why are you paying for two VOIP services (Comcast's and MagicJack's)?

> I have a wireless router for my laptop: internet.

And your point was?

> Pls let me know as I am ignorant how MagicJack works.

If no initiative to learn by reading then learn by doing. You'll get
the hang of it after awhile. YMax does not operate their own forums but
you can find the unofficial forums at:

http://www.magicjacksupport.com/

I suspect if those forums become much a nuisance to YMax that they will
force the forum owner to stop using the "MagicJack" trademarked name.

Scribner

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 01:21:47 -0600, VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>annabaum100 wrote:
>
>> Do all the calls come thru a PC/Laptop device ?

>That's how VOIP works.
>
>> Does the laptop have to be on for this service to work ?

>If you want to make or receive calls, yes, your computer must be powered
>on, Windows running, and their softphone loaded. It is a VOIP service.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voip
>
>> If this is so, then this is a problem. That means if my laptop is not
>> on, I will miss calls

>Wrong. YMax's MagicJack service includes a voicemail service. If you
>don't pickup an incoming call whether you ignore the call, the softphone
>wasn't loaded to announce the incoming call, or you had the computer
>powered off then the caller gets the option of leaving a message. If
>they leave a message, you get an e-mail from their voicemail system
>telling of the message, plus the message is attached to the e-mail as a
>.wmv file so you can listen to it on your computer rather than having to
>call into their voicemail system to check.
>
>If there will be extended periods where you will be away from your
>computer so you cannot receive calls there, go into your online account
>at http://my.magicjack.com/ and enable the forwarding service. Have
>calls to your MagicJack phone number forwarded elsewhere, like to your
>cell phone.
>
>> Currently I have Comcast cable Internet and telephone service.

>So why are you paying for two VOIP services (Comcast's and MagicJack's)?
>
>> I have a wireless router for my laptop: internet.

>And your point was?
>
>> Pls let me know as I am ignorant how MagicJack works.

>If no initiative to learn by reading then learn by doing. You'll get
>the hang of it after awhile. YMax does not operate their own forums but
>you can find the unofficial forums at:
>
>http://www.magicjacksupport.com/
>
>I suspect if those forums become much a nuisance to YMax that they will
>force the forum owner to stop using the "MagicJack" trademarked name.

My boss bought one of these things and plugged it into his laptop
which was accessing the net via WiFi. The connection was terrible. He
dumped it.

VanguardLH

Scribner wrote:

> My boss bought one of these things and plugged it into his laptop
> which was accessing the net via WiFi. The connection was terrible. He
> dumped it.

So did your boss use a telephone connected to the dongle or did he use a
headset connected to his laptop?

See my post at:
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...a2f862ca0024e1

Their dongle will **** you over regarding usability and call quality.
Get rid of it and just use their softphone running from your hard disk,
move your config & data store off their dongle to your hard disk, and
use a decent headset.