Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Browse to Folder instead of Folder + File

Browse to Folder instead of Folder + File

Dan

I am working on a C# ASP.NET project where I need to allow the user to
browse to a folder. The only way I see how to do this is use <input
type=file>. But this makes the user select a file and returns folder
+ filename. I only want the folder path.

Does someone have a possible solution other than <input type=file>?

John Saunders

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am working on a C# ASP.NET project where I need to allow the user to
> browse to a folder. The only way I see how to do this is use <input
> type=file>. But this makes the user select a file and returns folder
> + filename. I only want the folder path.
>
> Does someone have a possible solution other than <input type=file>?

What do you mean, "browse to a folder?" What would the user see when he got
there?
--
John Saunders
John.Saunders at SurfControl.com

Dan

"John Saunders" <john.saunders at SurfControl.com> wrote in message news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I am working on a C# ASP.NET project where I need to allow the user to
> > browse to a folder. The only way I see how to do this is use <input
> > type=file>. But this makes the user select a file and returns folder
> > + filename. I only want the folder path.
> >
> > Does someone have a possible solution other than <input type=file>?

> What do you mean, "browse to a folder?" What would the user see when he got
> there?

When I use <input type=file> it allows the user to browse their hard
drive and return a path to the selected filename. I want to allow the
user to select a folder rather than file and return only the folder
path.

John Saunders

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "John Saunders" <john.saunders at SurfControl.com> wrote in message

news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I am working on a C# ASP.NET project where I need to allow the user to
> > > browse to a folder. The only way I see how to do this is use <input
> > > type=file>. But this makes the user select a file and returns folder
> > > + filename. I only want the folder path.
> > >
> > > Does someone have a possible solution other than <input type=file>?

> > What do you mean, "browse to a folder?" What would the user see when he

got
> > there?

> When I use <input type=file> it allows the user to browse their hard
> drive and return a path to the selected filename. I want to allow the
> user to select a folder rather than file and return only the folder
> path.

<input type=file> doesn't just return the path, it returns the entire file.
--

"John Saunders" <john.saunders at SurfControl.com> wrote in message news:<#iCRq$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "John Saunders" <john.saunders at SurfControl.com> wrote in message

> news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > > What do you mean, "browse to a folder?" What would the user see when he

> got
> > > there?

> > When I use <input type=file> it allows the user to browse their hard
> > drive and return a path to the selected filename. I want to allow the
> > user to select a folder rather than file and return only the folder
> > path.

> <input type=file> doesn't just return the path, it returns the entire file.

Thanks John, but it actually returns both.

c:\blather\blah\bleep.txt

path = c:\blather\blah
file = bleep.txt.

<input type=file> will return path + file. Now that we have that
straightened out. I want something that returns ONLY path. And the
dialog box only allows the user to select a folder, not file.

I am using this so I can ask a user what folder has the files I want
to do things to.

John Saunders

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "John Saunders" <john.saunders at SurfControl.com> wrote in message

news:<#iCRq$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > "John Saunders" <john.saunders at SurfControl.com> wrote in message

> > news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...

user to

<input

folder

type=file>?

he
> > got
> > >
> > > When I use <input type=file> it allows the user to browse their hard
> > > drive and return a path to the selected filename. I want to allow the
> > > user to select a folder rather than file and return only the folder
> > > path.

> > <input type=file> doesn't just return the path, it returns the entire

file.

> Thanks John, but it actually returns both.
>
> c:\blather\blah\bleep.txt
>
> path = c:\blather\blah
> file = bleep.txt.
>
> <input type=file> will return path + file. Now that we have that
> straightened out. I want something that returns ONLY path. And the
> dialog box only allows the user to select a folder, not file.
>
> I am using this so I can ask a user what folder has the files I want
> to do things to.

I mean that it returns the FILE contents itself. I didn't mean that it
returns the file.typ part of a filespec.

See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...classtopic.asp.
--
John Saunders
John.Saunders at SurfControl.com

shobhaiyer shobhaiyer is offline
Junior Member

Did you find a solution to this. I am working currently on a asp.net project where I need to get the folder name only and NOT FILE name....

Please let me know if you wer able to find a solution for this.

Shobha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
"John Saunders" <john.saunders at SurfControl.com> wrote in message news:<#iCRq$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "John Saunders" <john.saunders at SurfControl.com> wrote in message

> news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > > What do you mean, "browse to a folder?" What would the user see when he

> got
> > > there?

> > When I use <input type=file> it allows the user to browse their hard
> > drive and return a path to the selected filename. I want to allow the
> > user to select a folder rather than file and return only the folder
> > path.

> <input type=file> doesn't just return the path, it returns the entire file.

Thanks John, but it actually returns both.

c:\blather\blah\bleep.txt

path = c:\blather\blah
file = bleep.txt.

<input type=file> will return path + file. Now that we have that
straightened out. I want something that returns ONLY path. And the
dialog box only allows the user to select a folder, not file.

I am using this so I can ask a user what folder has the files I want
to do things to.

catherine sea catherine sea is offline
Junior Member

I want to know how to do this too....