Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > multiplier pipelining

multiplier pipelining

joris joris is offline
Senior Member

While letting Xilinx XST synthesising a piece of VHDL, am getting this recommendation:

INFO:Xst:2385 - HDL ADVISOR - You can improve the performance of the multiplier Mmult_mult_mult0000 by adding 3 register level(s).

The code contains this:

Code:
when Lmult1 =>
	mult <= v * X"01010101";
		state := L2_2;
when Lmult2 =>
	mult <= subsum * subsum;
	state := L2_3;
(The context isn't too interesting). Anyway, I gave the multipliers their own state to enable resource sharing (which should improving clock already right?)

This isn't a critical program but I'm just interesting at what coding techniques will improve the code.

Hoping you'll help me gain some insight in this. I tried searching on that remark of Xilinx but didn't find much helpful on it - or I might have applied what I thought was meant, incorrectly.
Thanks for any help,

Joris

Last edited by joris; 02-06-2009 at 11:10 PM..

enable pipelining on Firefox D Cheung Firefox 1 02-07-2005 12:42 PM
Pipelining tutorial wanted Andrea Campi VHDL 9 11-19-2004 05:04 AM
pipelining tulip VHDL 0 11-05-2004 05:35 AM
How to purposely make pipelining in Handel-C? Peggy VHDL 0 09-08-2004 01:15 AM
Pipelining in VHDL koko VHDL 2 04-29-2004 06:51 PM

Advertisments