Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista and Scan disk

Vista and Scan disk

Gordon

Hi
I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to scan my
external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it still
does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to stop this?
(apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to tell me)

Thanks

Gordon

Gordon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:38:19 -0000, "Gordon"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>> I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to scan my
>>external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it still
>>does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to stop this?
>>(apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to tell me)

> Switch to XP.

Good idea, why didn't I think of that? Next

chuckcar

"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:eA_il.14348$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> Hi
> I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to scan
> my
> external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it still
> does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to stop this?
> (apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to tell me)
>
> Thanks

When you shut down your computer does it acually turn the computer off?
Try manually setting the computer to go into standby. Then see if it can
come out ok.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

VanguardLH

Gordon wrote:

> I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to scan my
> external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it still
> does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to stop this?
> (apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to tell me)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
For XP but might apply on Vista.
Also, disconnect *all* USB devices to troubleshoot. If you are using
USB mouse and USB keyboard, and if possible, switch to PS/2 devices to
troubleshoot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426

Have you been foolishly using a registry cleaner?
Did you try the hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic on your hard disk?

Tony

When you shut down your computer does it acually turn the computer off?

No his on/off switch is on backwards so when he turns it off it actually turns
on.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

the realm of understandability

Gordon

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gmj2tf$nn5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to scan
>> my
>> external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it still
>> does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to stop this?
>> (apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to tell me)

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
> For XP but might apply on Vista.
> Also, disconnect *all* USB devices to troubleshoot. If you are using
> USB mouse and USB keyboard, and if possible, switch to PS/2 devices to
> troubleshoot.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426
>
> Have you been foolishly using a registry cleaner?
> Did you try the hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic on your hard disk?

Hi
I tried both the links, even the second one but having said that I
haven't used a reg cleaner, but I followed the instructions anyway and all
is well with the registry, I also did a full check of the Buffalo external
hard drive and found nothing wrong with it, I have also noticed if I plug
any of my usb data sticks in it also wants to check them every time I plug
them in. I have to say if I allow this to happen it never finds anything
wrong with any of them, if I un-plug then plug them back in, once again it
wants to check them. thanks for all the help so far. Oh and for the other
post, yes my PC does come out of standby , it shuts down fine, hibernates
correctly, infact it works well except for this scan disk problem.

Gordon

VanguardLH

Have you tested if the behavior occur when you boot Windows into its
safe mode?

chuckcar

"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Sbdjl.18618$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gmj2tf$nn5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> I am running vista ultimate, every time I start my PC it wants to
>>> scan
>>> my
>>> external drive for problems, I have allowed this many times and it
>>> still does the same thing everytime vista boots, is there a way to
>>> stop this? (apart from switching to linux which someone is bound to
>>> tell me)

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
>> For XP but might apply on Vista.
>> Also, disconnect *all* USB devices to troubleshoot. If you are using
>> USB mouse and USB keyboard, and if possible, switch to PS/2 devices to
>> troubleshoot.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426
>>
>> Have you been foolishly using a registry cleaner?
>> Did you try the hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic on your hard disk?

> Hi
> I tried both the links, even the second one but having said that I
> haven't used a reg cleaner, but I followed the instructions anyway and
> all is well with the registry, I also did a full check of the Buffalo
> external hard drive and found nothing wrong with it, I have also noticed
> if I plug any of my usb data sticks in it also wants to check them every
> time I plug them in. I have to say if I allow this to happen it never
> finds anything wrong with any of them, if I un-plug then plug them back
> in, once again it wants to check them. thanks for all the help so far.
> Oh and for the other post, yes my PC does come out of standby , it shuts
> down fine, hibernates correctly, infact it works well except for this
> scan disk problem.

It *sounds* like the "disable fast shutdown" problem. In that case the
first thing to check is to bring up msconfig: start->run msconfig<enter>.
Click on advanced and see if "disable fast shutdown" is checkmarked. Even
if it's greyed out and checked, then it's ok. Otherwise check it, then
apply and OK. There *are* other fixes once this is verified. *Only* if
this is verified.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Gordon

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Sbdjl.18618$(E-Mail Removed)2:
>

>> "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gmj2tf$nn5$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
>>> For XP but might apply on Vista.
>>> Also, disconnect *all* USB devices to troubleshoot. If you are using
>>> USB mouse and USB keyboard, and if possible, switch to PS/2 devices to
>>> troubleshoot.
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426
>>>
>>> Have you been foolishly using a registry cleaner?
>>> Did you try the hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic on your hard disk?

>> Hi
>> I tried both the links, even the second one but having said that I
>> haven't used a reg cleaner, but I followed the instructions anyway and
>> all is well with the registry, I also did a full check of the Buffalo
>> external hard drive and found nothing wrong with it, I have also noticed
>> if I plug any of my usb data sticks in it also wants to check them every
>> time I plug them in. I have to say if I allow this to happen it never
>> finds anything wrong with any of them, if I un-plug then plug them back
>> in, once again it wants to check them. thanks for all the help so far.
>> Oh and for the other post, yes my PC does come out of standby , it shuts
>> down fine, hibernates correctly, infact it works well except for this
>> scan disk problem.
>>

> It *sounds* like the "disable fast shutdown" problem. In that case the
> first thing to check is to bring up msconfig: start->run msconfig<enter>.
> Click on advanced and see if "disable fast shutdown" is checkmarked. Even
> if it's greyed out and checked, then it's ok. Otherwise check it, then
> apply and OK. There *are* other fixes once this is verified. *Only* if
> this is verified.
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Hi All
Yes it still happens when in safe mode............I also checked
msnconfig, to be honest I couldnt find anything that said "fast shut down"
it's not in general, in the boot sector there is an advanced tab but nothing
in there about fast shut down, nothing in any other tabs either, ok I am
being thick I think, anyway, I think I have tried just about everything
including updating my bios (which I hate doing) it's now got the latest
drivers and an up to date bios.

thanks for the help so far

Gordon

Ps. just incase anyone needs to know the specs of the PC in question

OS Name Microsoft® Windows VistaT Ultimate
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SPEEDY
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-MA770-DS3
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor, 2500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4
Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F7, 05/01/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
User Name SPEEDY\Gordon
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.92 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.20 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.12 GB
Page File Space 3.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Gordon

news:4Rzjl.31546$(E-Mail Removed)2...

> [...]

> thanks for the help so far
>
> Gordon
>
> Ps. just incase anyone needs to know the specs of the PC in question
>
> OS Name Microsoft® Windows VistaT Ultimate
> Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
> Other OS Description Not Available
> OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
> System Name SPEEDY
> System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
> System Model GA-MA770-DS3
> System Type X86-based PC
> Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor, 2500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4
> Logical Processor(s)
> BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F7, 05/01/2009
> SMBIOS Version 2.4
> Windows Directory C:\Windows
> System Directory C:\Windows\system32
> Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
> Locale United Kingdom
> Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"

Hi
thanks for all your help, I came across a forum with the same problem being
talked about, some guy offered running this command chkntfs /x c: f: I did
and the problem has gone away, I will probably pay for this later on but for
now all is quiet with scandisk.

thanks again

Gordon