Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Why NTFS?

Re: Why NTFS?

wisdomkiller & pain

Pete the Pilot wrote:

> Howdy,
> This is in regard to HardDrive format on a backup drive.
> Why NTFS instead of Fat 32?
> I am under the understanding that storing a backup file from a
> NTFS drive (WNXPpro OS) onto a Fat 32 formatted drive (WN98SE OS) will
> not affect the backup file.
> My home network NAS box is an old Dell Optiplex into which I
> have built a "hot swap" slot.
> I was planning to put a couple drive image backups onto the
> hard drives I regularly swap in and out of my NAS box.

FAT32 has a file size limit of 4G. I suppose your drive images are somewhat
bigger. Ok, ghost will do the splitting.
NTFS is journalled, which means it isn't as easily damaged by unclean
shutdowns, powerouts or hangs. Though, the actual file/image written at the
time of such an event will still be junk.

> After reading a recommendation to reformat to NTFS by the
> makers of the drive image software writer I'm reluctant to continue.
> If I reformat my "swap" drives to NTFS I won't be able to see them
> with the WN98SE OS.

I suppose you backup only images or archives, so permissions/acls won't be
an issue. If you ever need to restore from such a backup, how will you do
when your NAS cannot read them?
A good idea would be installing linux on your "NAS box". With samba to share
partitions and a stable ext3 or xfs filesystem, and linux-raid you are on
the safe side.