Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > win98 (control panel)multimedia gone

win98 (control panel)multimedia gone

j_slobo@hotmail.com

after deinstalling the mobo integrated sound and installing another
soudcard
there is -
error loading mmsys.cpl and mmsystem.dll library cannot be found
Reinstalled multimedia group in windows components
replaced both mentioned files from installation cd
and upgraded win media player
but nothing helped
Can someone post working control.ini contents or perhaps vmm32.vxd
needs to be rebuilt?
Is there is a way to do repair install of win or maybe scanreg restore
registry from te point before problem appeared might help?

Mike Easter

> after deinstalling the mobo integrated sound and installing another
> soudcard
> there is -
> error loading mmsys.cpl and mmsystem.dll library cannot be found
> Reinstalled multimedia group in windows components
> replaced both mentioned files from installation cd
> and upgraded win media player
> but nothing helped

I think I would remove (the system device, not the physical card) the
soundcard device and also the multimedia accessory from windows setup.

Then windows is going to find something, either the mobo or the card -
decline the mobo device and accept the card if offered, otherwise then use
the card's install.

Only after the card has been installed by windows or the install process
would I try to install the multimedia from setup.

I would also use a newsreader and a newsserver to read and post to usenet
such as this group. GG has huge disadvantages, not the least of which is
that many people who could offer advice will be filtering all GGers out
for various good reasons.

--
Mike Easter

Buffalo

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> after deinstalling the mobo integrated sound and installing another
> soudcard
> there is -
> error loading mmsys.cpl and mmsystem.dll library cannot be found
> Reinstalled multimedia group in windows components
> replaced both mentioned files from installation cd
> and upgraded win media player
> but nothing helped
> Can someone post working control.ini contents or perhaps vmm32.vxd
> needs to be rebuilt?
> Is there is a way to do repair install of win or maybe scanreg restore
> registry from te point before problem appeared might help?

Did you turn off the integrated sound in the BIOS?
If not, do it, then uninstall your new sound card drivers, reboot and
install the new drivers again.

j_slobo@hotmail.com

On Feb 5, 11:12 pm, "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > after deinstalling the mobo integrated sound and installing another
> > soudcard
> > there is -
> > error loading mmsys.cpl and mmsystem.dll library cannot be found
> > Reinstalled multimedia group in windows components
> > replaced both mentioned files from installation cd
> > and upgraded win media player
> > but nothing helped
> > Can someone post working control.ini contents or perhaps vmm32.vxd
> > needs to be rebuilt?
> > Is there is a way to do repair install of win or maybe scanreg restore
> > registry from te point before problem appeared might help?

> Start the computer in Safe mode by tapping the F8 key repeatedly during
> bootup. Then go to "Control Panel", "System", "Device Manager" and
> remove the driver or drivers for sound card or device. Then restart
> normally and let Windows redetect the hardware. If this doesn't help,
> use "Control Panel", "Add New Hardware" to install the drivers.
>
> Ben

I am going to try that(once more) but it might be some other
multimedia relevant system files problem, because strangely also
display resolution cannot be changed from 640*480
and sometimes when getting into control panel you get kernel32 error
However the free registry repair tool I ran did not repport anything
suspicious nor did sfc but DXDIAG gave"error getting extra info,
directsound/display-generic failure" and for "directmusic-class not
registered"