Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > language extensions needed by linux /usr/include headers

language extensions needed by linux /usr/include headers

jacob navia

Hi

Going on with the porting of lcc-win64 to lcc-linux-64 I have discovered
that most system headers in /usr/include need a compiler with at least
the following #defines prdefined:

__USE_XOPEN_EXTENDED=1
__gnuc_va_list=va_list
__i386__=1

If you do not have those symbols you wont be able to compile any header.

Since stdio.h and all headers use the non portable headers definitions
in /usr/include/bits /usr/include/asm it is imperative to predefine
those symbols.

Question: Is there somewhere a list of those needed symbols? I have
found those by trial and error and it costs a lot of effort to figure
out what is going wrong each time.

Another problem of this situation is that I need to provide (as I did
under windows) my own headers, but I do not know where to put them since
accessing /usr/include would need root access.

Since there are quite a lot of linux gurus around here, maybe some of
them has this list?
--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

vippstar@gmail.com

On Feb 5, 2:11*pm, jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip off-topic crap>

> Since there are quite a lot of linux gurus around here, maybe some of
> them has this list?

Navia, you moron, don't (cross)post this crap to comp.lang.c

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Feb 5, 2:11*pm, jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
><snip off-topic crap>
>
>> Since there are quite a lot of linux gurus around here, maybe some of
>> them has this list?

>Navia, you moron, don't (cross)post this crap to comp.lang.c

They call him, vippy, vippy, ...

Faster than lightning...

Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

jacob navia wrote:
> Going on with the porting of lcc-win64 to lcc-linux-64 I have discovered
> that most system headers in /usr/include need a compiler with at least
> the following #defines prdefined:

Which compiler are you using, what does the command line look like (e.g.
using gcc in special modes?). Try compiling the "hello world"
application, to check your build environment. If that is fine, you can
go for the compilation problems of your app.

By the way, this has nothing to do with "language extensions", more with
build environment.

> Another problem of this situation is that I need to provide (as I did
> under windows) my own headers, but I do not know where to put them since
> accessing /usr/include would need root access.

Different problem. Installation or application build?

Usually you have your own headers in your project directory (source or
include subdirectory, remember to inform the compiler about your include
dir: "-I../myinclude"). Once you install your application to a system,
check out the PREFIX mechanism commonly used by Unix installation
mechanisms.

By the way, your question should be placed to

Ciao..

Antoninus Twink

On 5 Feb 2009 at 12:11, jacob navia wrote:
> Question: Is there somewhere a list of those needed symbols? I have
> found those by trial and error and it costs a lot of effort to figure
> out what is going wrong each time.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out
/usr/include/features.h, and the manpage for feature_test_macros.

> Another problem of this situation is that I need to provide (as I did
> under windows) my own headers, but I do not know where to put them
> since accessing /usr/include would need root access.

Typically, your Makefile will have a PREFIX variable (in a typical
autoconf setup, the default PREFIX is /usr/local, but the user can
override it by giving a PREFIX=$HOME/mystuff command-line option to
configure).

Then "make install" will put binaries in $(PREFIX)/bin, headers in
$(PREFIX)/include, etc. You trust the user to set CPPFLAGS etc.
appropriately to find the headers in the directories where they've
installed them (certainly /usr/include and /usr/local/include will
already be in the default include path for most sane setups).

Antoninus Twink

On 5 Feb 2009 at 14:30, Bernhard Agthe wrote:
> Which compiler are you using, what does the command line look like (e.g.
> using gcc in special modes?). Try compiling the "hello world"
> application, to check your build environment. If that is fine, you can
> go for the compilation problems of your app.
>
> By the way, this has nothing to do with "language extensions", more with
> build environment.

I think you misunderstand the situation.

Jacob Navia is the author of a compiler, which he's porting to Linux.
AIUI, he wants to be able to let developers using his compiler use parts
of the glibc standard library, e.g. the i/o routines, but for this he
needs to be able to compile the GNU C library headers with his own lcc
compiler (as far as I'm aware, he's relying on the GNU linker for the
linking step).

Richard

> On Feb 5, 2:11*pm, jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip off-topic crap>
>
>> Since there are quite a lot of linux gurus around here, maybe some of
>> them has this list?

> Navia, you moron, don't (cross)post this crap to comp.lang.c

It's about a C compiler and bringing it (for free) to Linux. I can not
think of anything more on topic (Programming and Using C).

jacob navia

Richard wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>
>> On Feb 5, 2:11 pm, jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> <snip off-topic crap>
>>
>>> Since there are quite a lot of linux gurus around here, maybe some of
>>> them has this list?

>> Navia, you moron, don't (cross)post this crap to comp.lang.c

> It's about a C compiler and bringing it (for free) to Linux. I can not
> think of anything more on topic (Programming and Using C).

The regulars again...

Just ignore them

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr
logiciels/informatique
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

Bart

On Feb 5, 12:55*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2:11*pm, jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip off-topic crap>
>
> > Since there are quite a lot of linux gurus around here, maybe some of
> > them has this list?

> Navia, you moron, don't (cross)post this crap to comp.lang.c

You know, you should learn to rein in your nasty temper if you want to
help out in a public forum. I'm sure your rude posts put some people
off posting.

--
Bartc

Richard

Bart <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Feb 5, 12:55*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Feb 5, 2:11*pm, jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> <snip off-topic crap>
>>
>> > Since there are quite a lot of linux gurus around here, maybe some of
>> > them has this list?

>> Navia, you moron, don't (cross)post this crap to comp.lang.c

> You know, you should learn to rein in your nasty temper if you want to
> help out in a public forum. I'm sure your rude posts put some people
> off posting.
>

> --
> Bartc

Not as much as his incorrect posts.