Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET vs MAC

ASP.NET vs MAC

+The_Taco+

Is an ASP.NET page is compatible for a MAC user? I need to do a web
application for a client and I wonder if i must turn on ASP or ASP.NET.
thx!

Chris Bower

ASP.NET has browser detection built-in (although its not terribly great).
You shouldn't have too many problems with the way things render in a MAC
browser.

"+The_Taco+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is an ASP.NET page is compatible for a MAC user? I need to do a web
> application for a client and I wonder if i must turn on ASP or ASP.NET.
> thx!

+The_Taco+

Ok well the thing is maybe someday, the application will be stored on a mac
(the MAC will act like a server), with all the the .aspx, .vb files on
it.Would'nt that be a problem?

"Chris Bower" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message
de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ASP.NET has browser detection built-in (although its not terribly great).
> You shouldn't have too many problems with the way things render in a MAC
> browser.
>
> "+The_Taco+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is an ASP.NET page is compatible for a MAC user? I need to do a web
> > application for a client and I wonder if i must turn on ASP or ASP.NET.
> > thx!

Chris Bower

Oh, yes, in that case ASP.NET yes, it would be a problem. ASP.NET must run
on a windows based server running IIS (unless Mono becomes an option in the
future).

"+The_Taco+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok well the thing is maybe someday, the application will be stored on a

mac
> (the MAC will act like a server), with all the the .aspx, .vb files on
> it.Would'nt that be a problem?
>
> "Chris Bower" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message
> de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ASP.NET has browser detection built-in (although its not terribly

great).
> > You shouldn't have too many problems with the way things render in a MAC
> > browser.
> >
> > "+The_Taco+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Is an ASP.NET page is compatible for a MAC user? I need to do a web
> > > application for a client and I wonder if i must turn on ASP or

ASP.NET.
> > > thx!

+The_Taco+

Thx for the info!

"Chris Bower" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message
de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh, yes, in that case ASP.NET yes, it would be a problem. ASP.NET must run
> on a windows based server running IIS (unless Mono becomes an option in

the
> future).
>
> "+The_Taco+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ok well the thing is maybe someday, the application will be stored on a

> mac
> > (the MAC will act like a server), with all the the .aspx, .vb files on
> > it.Would'nt that be a problem?
> >
> > "Chris Bower" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le

message
> > de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > ASP.NET has browser detection built-in (although its not terribly

> great).
> > > You shouldn't have too many problems with the way things render in a

MAC
> > > browser.
> > >
> > > "+The_Taco+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> ASP.NET.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Since you have already received an answer, you may not be coming back to
look at this. But, I will write anyway.

As far as web apps running on a MAC, you should not have any major problems.
Developing on the MAC is a different creature. There is good and bad news
here:

Good news: There is a MAC OS X v 10.2 implementation of the .NET Shared
Source CLI
(Common Language Infrastructure), codenamed rotor:

You can deploy .NET apps on a MAC using this. It is not well known, so most
would not point you here.

Bad news: You have to compile rotor for your OS.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"+The_Taco+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is an ASP.NET page is compatible for a MAC user? I need to do a web
> application for a client and I wonder if i must turn on ASP or ASP.NET.
> thx!

+The_Taco+

Alright, thx for the info and link

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit
dans le message de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since you have already received an answer, you may not be coming back to
> look at this. But, I will write anyway.
>
> As far as web apps running on a MAC, you should not have any major

problems.
> Developing on the MAC is a different creature. There is good and bad news
> here:
>
> Good news: There is a MAC OS X v 10.2 implementation of the .NET Shared
> Source CLI
> (Common Language Infrastructure), codenamed rotor:

> You can deploy .NET apps on a MAC using this. It is not well known, so

most
> would not point you here.
>
> Bad news: You have to compile rotor for your OS.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> ************************************************** ********************
> Think Outside the Box!
> ************************************************** ********************
> "+The_Taco+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is an ASP.NET page is compatible for a MAC user? I need to do a web
> > application for a client and I wonder if i must turn on ASP or ASP.NET.
> > thx!

bruce barker

the other bad news is you cannot use for any commercial use. its use is
limited to teaching enviroments.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since you have already received an answer, you may not be coming back to
> look at this. But, I will write anyway.
>
> As far as web apps running on a MAC, you should not have any major

problems.
> Developing on the MAC is a different creature. There is good and bad news
> here:
>
> Good news: There is a MAC OS X v 10.2 implementation of the .NET Shared
> Source CLI
> (Common Language Infrastructure), codenamed rotor:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3FA-7462-47D0-
8E56-8DD34C6292F0&displaylang=en

> You can deploy .NET apps on a MAC using this. It is not well known, so

most
> would not point you here.
>
> Bad news: You have to compile rotor for your OS.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> ************************************************** ********************
> Think Outside the Box!
> "+The_Taco+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is an ASP.NET page is compatible for a MAC user? I need to do a web
> > application for a client and I wonder if i must turn on ASP or ASP.NET.
> > thx!

+The_Taco+

You mean a can't develop in ASP.NET for a client?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...