Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > shutdown and restart

shutdown and restart

gingo

my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will be
working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i have tried to
use system restore,but it goes through the motions,then tells me it cant
restore it. and nothing has changed,i have scanned for viruses but nothing
comes up,its windows xp,
any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance , jim,

Jan B

"gingo" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:Lwgil.10535$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will be
> working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i have tried
> to use system restore,but it goes through the motions,then tells me it
> cant restore it. and nothing has changed,i have scanned for viruses but
> nothing comes up,its windows xp,
> any help would be appreciated
>
> thanks in advance , jim,

Look for dust in the interior of your PC. Is the fan correctly working?
--
Jan B

Keyser Söze

gingo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Lwgil.10535$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will
> be working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i have
> tried to use system restore,but it goes through the motions,then
> tells me it cant restore it. and nothing has changed,i have scanned
> for viruses but nothing comes up,its windows xp,
> any help would be appreciated
>
> thanks in advance , jim,

BIOS update might be needed.

--
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

Centre Parting

Define "shutdown".

gingo wrote:
> my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will
> be working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i have
> tried to use system restore,but it goes through the motions,then
> tells me it cant restore it. and nothing has changed,i have scanned
> for viruses but nothing comes up,its windows xp,
> any help would be appreciated
>
> thanks in advance , jim,

Fergal

"Jan B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49899cf2$0$189$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...

> "gingo" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:Lwgil.10535$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will be
>> working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i have tried
>> to use system restore,but it goes through the motions,then tells me it
>> cant restore it. and nothing has changed,i have scanned for viruses but
>> nothing comes up,its windows xp,
>> any help would be appreciated
>>
>> thanks in advance , jim,

> Look for dust in the interior of your PC. Is the fan correctly working?
> --
> Jan B

I'm having a similar problem, will try cleaning out inside of case as there
is some dust & fluff in there. Why would this cause PC to restart? Is it
something to do with overheating? If so, why does it restart immediately and
then run for a while without doing it again?
Many Thanks for any replies.

Centre Parting

Crapper wrote:
> I would try disabling the auto restart feature of Windows XP. With it
> disabled you should then get a blue screen that will list an error
> code instead of the reboot.

Makes no never mind if the BIOS shuts the system down because of overheat.

> Here is a link that explains how to disable the auto restart:
>
> http://helpdesk.wisc.edu/page.php?id=7049
>
> Here is a link that will help explain the Windows XP error codes:
>
> http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
>

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 13:16:20 -0000, "gingo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will
>> be working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i
>> have tried to use system restore,but it goes through the
>> motions,then tells me it cant restore it. and nothing has changed,i
>> have scanned for viruses but nothing comes up,its windows xp,
>> any help would be appreciated
>>
>> thanks in advance , jim,

Keyser Söze

Centre Parting <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Crapper wrote:
>> I would try disabling the auto restart feature of Windows XP. With
>> it disabled you should then get a blue screen that will list an error
>> code instead of the reboot.

> Makes no never mind if the BIOS shuts the system down because of
> overheat.

Who made mention of BIOS *and* overheating in the *same* sentence or even
the same post?

Nobody, right? So, why mention it, eh?

<Aside: ****ing idiot hillbilly>

--
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

Leythos

In article <Lwgil.10535$(E-Mail Removed)2>,
> my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will be
> working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i have tried to
> use system restore,but it goes through the motions,then tells me it cant
> restore it. and nothing has changed,i have scanned for viruses but nothing
> comes up,its windows xp,
> any help would be appreciated

A common reason for unexplained restarts is lack of Cooling caused by
excessive Dust blocking vents and or coating the fans and heatsinks the
cool the CPU and Video card.

Check your case for dust, it should be clean.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
(E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 for proper email address)

Desk Rabbit

Lookout wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:05:55 GMT, "Fergal" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> "Jan B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:49899cf2$0$189$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>>> "gingo" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>>> news:Lwgil.10535$(E-Mail Removed)2...

>>> Look for dust in the interior of your PC. Is the fan correctly working?
>>> --
>>> Jan B

>> I'm having a similar problem, will try cleaning out inside of case as there
>> is some dust & fluff in there. Why would this cause PC to restart? Is it
>> something to do with overheating? If so, why does it restart immediately and
>> then run for a while without doing it again?
>> Many Thanks for any replies.
>>

> The dust causes static electricity to build up. once it discharges tie
> computer doesn't have a problem restarting.

ROFL!!!

Centre Parting

Keyser Söze wrote:
> Centre Parting <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Crapper wrote:
>>> I would try disabling the auto restart feature of Windows XP. With
>>> it disabled you should then get a blue screen that will list an
>>> error code instead of the reboot.

>> Makes no never mind if the BIOS shuts the system down because of
>> overheat.

> Who made mention of BIOS *and* overheating in the *same* sentence or
> even the same post?
>
> Nobody, right? So, why mention it, eh?

You really have so little understanding that this needs explaining ?

Then obviously, I'll have to tell you, ****wit.

When PC's crash due to thermal shutdown, it's because the BIOS is protecting
the CPU from overheating.
Nothing to do with Windows.

Try doing some basic reading up before spouting any more dollops of wisdom.