Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How do I use HTML?

How do I use HTML?

kttelibake

I know I sound dumb...

I am a unserious site designer for a TINY organization run by kids...
Everyone loves my site! But I am really bad at HTML... and I think I
should be better at it. I have had to use it a few times, but with
many struggles. I joined this group so I could learn a little more
about how to use it. Any advice?

Thanks!

Ellie
P.S.
Sometimes I go by Kati, Ellie is a nickname for my middle name.

Andy Dingley

On 4 Feb, 01:24, kttelibake <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am a unserious site designer for a TINY organization run by kids...
> Everyone loves my site! But I am really bad at HTML...

There are lots of tutorials around, but most are really poor quality
and will mislead you. W3Schools is one of these.

I'd recommend a couple of books:
* Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML (start here for page coding)
* Head First Web Design (Broader issues about "design")
* Cascading Style Sheets, Lie & Bos (CSS intro & reference)

One web site:
* http://htmldog.com

kttelibake

On Feb 3, 11:13*pm, Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 03 Feb 2009, kttelibake <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I know I sound dumb...

> Wait till you hear what I've got to say...
>
> > I am a unserious site designer for a TINY organization run by kids...
> > Everyone loves my site! But I am really bad at HTML... and I think I
> > should be better at it. I have had to use it a few times, but with
> > many struggles. I joined this group so I could learn a little more
> > about how to use it. Any advice?

> > Thanks!

> > Ellie
> > P.S.
> > Sometimes I go by Kati, Ellie is a nickname for my middle name.

> Is your middle name "Elephant"?
>
> Anyway, the best way to learn html is by making pages, checking them
> against the validator, correcting mistakes, then trying new things to
> improve the overall product. *In the course of this, read and reference
> the specs frequently to learn all the options and proper methods of
> html. *In other words, "Practice makes perfect".
>
> --
> Neredbojias
> Driving can be tiring - especially after supper,
> So 'fore you take an evening trip - you ought to pop an upper.
> Burma Shave

My middle name is not Elephant.

OK!

kttelibake

On Feb 4, 5:54*am, Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 4 Feb, 01:24, kttelibake <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I am a unserious site designer for a TINY organization run by kids...
> > Everyone loves my site! But I am really bad at HTML...

> There are lots of tutorials around, but most are really poor quality
> and will mislead you. W3Schools is one of these.
>
> I'd recommend a couple of books:
> * Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML * (start here for page coding)
> * Head First Web Design * * * * * * *(Broader issues about "design")
> * Cascading Style Sheets, Lie & Bos *(CSS intro & reference)
>
> One web site:
> *http://htmldog.com

Alright! So I guess we can end this here if no one has anything else
to say!

rf

kttelibake wrote:
> On Feb 4, 5:54 am, Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 4 Feb, 01:24, kttelibake <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I am a unserious site designer for a TINY organization run by
>>> kids... Everyone loves my site! But I am really bad at HTML...

>> There are lots of tutorials around, but most are really poor quality
>> and will mislead you. W3Schools is one of these.
>>
>> I'd recommend a couple of books:
>> * Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML (start here for page coding)
>> * Head First Web Design (Broader issues about "design")
>> * Cascading Style Sheets, Lie & Bos (CSS intro & reference)
>>
>> One web site:
>> *http://htmldog.com

> Alright! So I guess we can end this here if no one has anything else
> to say!

Nice attitude, not!

Jonathan N. Little

kttelibake wrote:
> On Feb 4, 5:54 am, Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 4 Feb, 01:24, kttelibake <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I am a unserious site designer for a TINY organization run by kids...
>>> Everyone loves my site! But I am really bad at HTML...

>> There are lots of tutorials around, but most are really poor quality
>> and will mislead you. W3Schools is one of these.
>>
>> I'd recommend a couple of books:
>> * Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML (start here for page coding)
>> * Head First Web Design (Broader issues about "design")
>> * Cascading Style Sheets, Lie & Bos (CSS intro & reference)
>>
>> One web site:
>> *http://htmldog.com

> Alright! So I guess we can end this here if no one has anything else
> to say!

What more do you wish people to say? They have pointed you where to
start, next step is on you. Read some and learn.

Most of HTML is very easy and you will commonly use less than a dozen
elements and a handful of rules that govern those elements. Styling and
scripting gets more complicated and more advanced.

I agree the tutorials at http://htmldog.com are both easy to follow and
most accurate to be found on the web. If you are not compelled to read a
little and practice than maybe web design is not for you.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> HTML is nothing more than a set of instructions telling the recipient
> (browser) what to do with those instructions.

Not quite but never mind...

Woody Allen:

I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty
minutes. It involves Russia.

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-

> In article <Xns9BA7B996DBF07arbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102>,
> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed kttelibake
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:95ea15f6-f24a-468d-afc5-
>> (E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > I know I sound dumb...

>> Actually, you can't sound dumb - dumb means unable to talk, so how

can
>> you _sound_ dumb ... there is no need to start a conversation with an
>> appology.

> Adrienne, "dumb" was not meant by OP literally. She is not that dumb!

It
> was meant as a humble entry and to get folks to hold their fire for

long
> enough for her to grab some tips and get out. This technique can work
> sometimes. Other ways into a new group include to go in hard and
> arrogant, pick out the biggest and ugliest alpha male and then tear

his
> throat out. All these techniques are laid out in my new pamphlet, "How
> to say hello on Usenet" which is on sale for $1.50. There is a special
> offer for one week only for alt.html subscribers, 35% discount.

Oh, I know that "dumb" was not meant literally, dumb has come to mean
stupid. The problem with saying things like this about yourself often
enough is pretty soon you believe it.

I was hoping that the OP would GET that if one could not SOUND dumb, one
could not BE dumb. Guess not.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

kttelibake

On Feb 4, 8:10*am, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> kttelibake wrote:

> >> There are lots of tutorials around, but most are really poor quality
> >> and will mislead you. W3Schools is one of these.

> >> I'd recommend a couple of books:
> >> * Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML (start here for page coding)
> >> * Head First Web Design (Broader issues about "design")
> >> * Cascading Style Sheets, Lie & Bos (CSS intro & reference)

> >> One web site:
> >> *http://htmldog.com

> > Alright! So I guess we can end this here if no one has anything else
> > to say!

> Nice attitude, not!

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean for that to be mean or anything...
I am serious.

kttelibake

On Feb 4, 9:31*pm, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>

> > In article <Xns9BA7B996DBF07arbpenyahoo...@207.115.17.102>,
> > *Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed kttelibake
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:95ea15f6-f24a-468d-afc5-
> >> (E-Mail Removed):

> >> Actually, you can't sound dumb - dumb means unable to talk, so how

> can
> >> you _sound_ dumb ... there is no need to start a conversation with an
> >> appology.

> > Adrienne, "dumb" was not meant by OP literally. She is not that dumb!

> It
> > was meant as a humble entry and to get folks to hold their fire for

> long
> > enough for her to grab some tips and get out. This technique can work
> > sometimes. Other ways into a new group include to go in hard and
> > arrogant, pick out the biggest and ugliest alpha male and then tear

> his
> > throat out. All these techniques are laid out in my new pamphlet, "How *
> > to say hello on Usenet" which is on sale for $1.50. There is a special
> > offer for one week only for alt.html subscribers, 35% discount.

> Oh, I know that "dumb" was not meant literally, dumb has come to mean
> stupid. *The problem with saying things like this about yourself often
> enough is pretty soon you believe it.
>
> I was hoping that the OP would GET that if one could not SOUND dumb, one
> could not BE dumb. *Guess not.
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell at Home
> Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info