Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > A downloaded .wav file

A downloaded .wav file

joevan

Strange, but the only thing that would open the file was irfanview. I
must have blocked winamp. Even windows player would not play it.
It is a file from freesound. I will figure it out eventually but just
thought someone here may have had a similar problem.

Mike Easter

joevan wrote:
> Strange, but the only thing that would open the file was irfanview. I
> must have blocked winamp. Even windows player would not play it.
> It is a file from freesound. I will figure it out eventually but just
> thought someone here may have had a similar problem.

Do you mean that if you have opened winamp or mediaplayer and try to open
the .wav from inside the app that it won't open? Do you get an alert?

Or, do you mean that if you try to clickopen the .wav file that it opens
with IV instead of something else? What happens when you use Shift R
click/ Open with - on the .wav?

If you use a hex editor/reader what does the first part of the file say?
RIFF(4chars)WAVEfmt - or something else? You can use IV to view the hex.

--
Mike Easter

chuckcar

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Strange, but the only thing that would open the file was irfanview. I
> must have blocked winamp. Even windows player would not play it.
> It is a file from freesound. I will figure it out eventually but just
> thought someone here may have had a similar problem.

Sorry, but without knowing the codec involved and what compression/file
package type (if any) that's meaningless. Anyone can rename any type of
file to .wav.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

joevan

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:21:07 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> Strange, but the only thing that would open the file was irfanview. I
>> must have blocked winamp. Even windows player would not play it.
>> It is a file from freesound. I will figure it out eventually but just
>> thought someone here may have had a similar problem.

>Do you mean that if you have opened winamp or mediaplayer and try to open
>the .wav from inside the app that it won't open? Do you get an alert?
>
>Or, do you mean that if you try to clickopen the .wav file that it opens
>with IV instead of something else? What happens when you use Shift R
>click/ Open with - on the .wav?
>
>If you use a hex editor/reader what does the first part of the file say?
>RIFF(4chars)WAVEfmt - or something else? You can use IV to view the hex.

RIFF aGg Wave bext with a mark over the small a. then next line 2 ..
rbh thunder storm

joevan

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:26:35 -0500, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:21:07 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>joevan wrote:
>>> Strange, but the only thing that would open the file was irfanview. I
>>> must have blocked winamp. Even windows player would not play it.
>>> It is a file from freesound. I will figure it out eventually but just
>>> thought someone here may have had a similar problem.

>>Do you mean that if you have opened winamp or mediaplayer and try to open
>>the .wav from inside the app that it won't open? Do you get an alert?
>>
>>Or, do you mean that if you try to clickopen the .wav file that it opens
>>with IV instead of something else? What happens when you use Shift R
>>click/ Open with - on the .wav?
>>
>>If you use a hex editor/reader what does the first part of the file say?
>>RIFF(4chars)WAVEfmt - or something else? You can use IV to view the hex.

>RIFF aGg Wave bext with a mark over the small a. then next line 2 ..
>rbh thunder storm

It works with winamp on my older xp machine, which makes me wonder if
something I did on the newer xp machine changed something.

joevan

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 20:31:30 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 18:40:53 -0500, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:26:35 -0500, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>RIFF aGg Wave bext with a mark over the small a. then next line 2 ..
>>>rbh thunder storm

>>It works with winamp on my older xp machine, which makes me wonder if
>>something I did on the newer xp machine changed something.

>Most likely the problem is your missing the proper codec.

I did some googling and finally Uninstalled the old and did a fresh
install. Works now.