Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > FIR Coefficients

FIR Coefficients

RealInfo

Hi all

The coefficients used in FIRs , what representation they are in ?
REAL, SIGNED , POSITIVE etc ?

I ask this because I wonder if I can design a FIR without RTL description of
the mulitpliers
just the " D_out_n * Coef_n " form and rely on the synthesiser that it will
"understand" my meaning and generate the right netlist for the multipliers.
for this to happen I have to define the coef's in the proper representation
..

Thanks in advance

EC

kennheinrich@sympatico.ca

On Feb 2, 9:30*am, "RealInfo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> The coefficients used in FIRs , what representation they are in ?
> REAL, SIGNED , POSITIVE etc ?
>
> I ask this because I wonder if I can design a FIR without RTL description of
> the mulitpliers
> just the *" D_out_n * Coef_n " form and rely on the synthesiser that it will
> "understand" my meaning and generate the right netlist for the multipliers.
> for this to happen I have to define the coef's in the proper representation
> .
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> EC

Usually, coefficients will be a mixture of positive and negative, so
POSITIVE won't work. Most FPGA implementations of FIR filters express
the whole filter as being scaled by a power of two, meaning that you
multiply your (real) impulse response by 2^N and then right-shift your
output by N bits (effectively dividing by 2^N) to renormalize it.
After multiplying by 2^N you round to integer values, giving an
approximation to the original filter with some rounding error due to
this quantization. I'd suggest also taking a read through the much-
cited presentation

http://www.synthworks.com/papers/vhd...mapld_2003.pdf

You can get the synthesizer to do a lot of the work by using the right
types, as you're hoping, but to get decent performance you'll still
have to think about the pipelining and cycle-by-cycle dataflow.

- Kenn

RealInfo

Many thanks
EC

<(E-Mail Removed)> ???
??????:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Feb 2, 9:30 am, "RealInfo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> The coefficients used in FIRs , what representation they are in ?
> REAL, SIGNED , POSITIVE etc ?
>
> I ask this because I wonder if I can design a FIR without RTL description
> of
> the mulitpliers
> just the " D_out_n * Coef_n " form and rely on the synthesiser that it
> will
> "understand" my meaning and generate the right netlist for the
> multipliers.
> for this to happen I have to define the coef's in the proper
> representation
> .
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> EC

Usually, coefficients will be a mixture of positive and negative, so
POSITIVE won't work. Most FPGA implementations of FIR filters express
the whole filter as being scaled by a power of two, meaning that you
multiply your (real) impulse response by 2^N and then right-shift your
output by N bits (effectively dividing by 2^N) to renormalize it.
After multiplying by 2^N you round to integer values, giving an
approximation to the original filter with some rounding error due to
this quantization. I'd suggest also taking a read through the much-
cited presentation

http://www.synthworks.com/papers/vhd...mapld_2003.pdf

You can get the synthesizer to do a lot of the work by using the right
types, as you're hoping, but to get decent performance you'll still
have to think about the pipelining and cycle-by-cycle dataflow.

- Kenn

scaling coefficients for c sonos C Programming 5 09-23-2006 06:38 PM
FIR with complex coefficients- VHDL implementation Emel VHDL 1 01-16-2006 08:06 PM
Getting DCT Coefficients from JPEG File using Java ? Jackson Java 0 12-02-2004 11:47 PM
FIR coefficients jack kilby VHDL 1 11-28-2003 11:30 AM
Using LUTs for array of coefficients Bob VHDL 1 09-18-2003 04:25 PM

Advertisments