Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > unknown wireless networks

unknown wireless networks

KRK

Hello,

In network centre (wireless) I find some networks that I do not recognise
(eg, 'Betty' ).

I have not set any of them up. What are they & where have they come from ?,
can I delete them & if so, how ?

Thans

KK

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Just like TV and Radio have channels that let you choose what you want to
receive, Wireless senses what is available around.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"KRK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> In network centre (wireless) I find some networks that I do not recognise
> (eg, 'Betty' ).
>
> I have not set any of them up. What are they & where have they come from
> ?, can I delete them & if so, how ?
>
> Thans
>
> KK

John

"KRK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> In network centre (wireless) I find some networks that I do not recognise
> (eg, 'Betty' ).

I'd say those are people near you (eg: neighbors). You're not in the jungle,
are you?

> I have not set any of them up. What are they & where have they come from
> ?, can I delete them & if so, how ?

Sure. Go to your neighbor's house/apartment. Ask the to turn off their wifi
devices.

KRK

Hi & thanks

Does this mean that others can read my public folders & shared files ?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Just like TV and Radio have channels that let you choose what you want to
> receive, Wireless senses what is available around.
> http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "KRK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> In network centre (wireless) I find some networks that I do not recognise
>> (eg, 'Betty' ).
>>
>> I have not set any of them up. What are they & where have they come from
>> ?, can I delete them & if so, how ?
>>
>> Thans
>>
>> KK

James Egan

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:15:36 -0000, "KRK"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi & thanks
>
>Does this mean that others can read my public folders & shared files ?

Not unless you join Betty's network and share out some folders for
her.

Jim.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Any one that can connect to your Network wire or wireless can read the
shares.
Wireless security is existing for this purpose so that other can not
connect.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
Switching Off SSID (same as No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
it is Off)
MAC Filtering ______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can
be easily spoofed).
-------------------
The three above are Not considered safe.
Safe Starts here at WPA.
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).