Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Guy who keeps DCOM & LSASS Attacking

Guy who keeps DCOM & LSASS Attacking

joe

Hey
86.22.37.92 keeps dcom'ing me, and lsass attacking me, What you recommend I
should do? Should I report him to Virgin Media because sometimes its from
different IPs too all on the virgin media network, they all keep attacking
me what you all recommend? I reported once a while ago they said they'd look
into it but never got a response

Whiskers

On 2009-02-02, joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hey
> 86.22.37.92 keeps dcom'ing me, and lsass attacking me, What you recommend I
> should do? Should I report him to Virgin Media because sometimes its from
> different IPs too all on the virgin media network, they all keep attacking
> me what you all recommend? I reported once a while ago they said they'd look
> into it but never got a response

Why do you think it's an attack? It's not impossible that someone using
your ISP has a computer infected with malware that is trying to propagate;
provided that your own system is properly updated and protected, you
shouldn't need to worry.

You might like to read about GRC's "DCOMbobulator"
<http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm> and the SASSER 'worm'
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasser_(computer_worm)>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Whiskers

On 2009-02-02, joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2009-02-02, joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hey
>>> 86.22.37.92 keeps dcom'ing me, and lsass attacking me,

[...]

>> Why do you think it's an attack? It's not impossible that someone using
>> your ISP has a computer infected with malware that is trying to propagate;
>> provided that your own system is properly updated and protected, you
>> shouldn't need to worry.

[...]

> because it keeps saying "DCOM Exploit" and "LSASS Attack from: 86.*.*.*"

What is this "it" that keeps saying? How frequently does it keep saying?
Is your internet connection being clogged up so that you can't use it, or
your computer spending so much processor time coping that you can't do
anything with it? If not, then 'attack' is just a word chosen by a
software designer to impress the gullible. This sort of thing is merely
the background noise of the internet.

Looks to me like a firewall of some sort doing what it should; if the
"keep saying" is annoying you, find the option for "don't keep saying" in
the setup of that program.

It might be neighbourly for you to ask the ISP to contact their customer
whose PC is 'infected' and help get the infection removed - but that
depends on how much the ISP is prepared to spend on being neighbourly.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

joe

because it keeps saying "DCOM Exploit" and "LSASS Attack from: 86.*.*.*"

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2009-02-02, joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hey
>> 86.22.37.92 keeps dcom'ing me, and lsass attacking me, What you recommend
>> should do? Should I report him to Virgin Media because sometimes its from
>> different IPs too all on the virgin media network, they all keep
>> attacking
>> me what you all recommend? I reported once a while ago they said they'd
>> look
>> into it but never got a response

> Why do you think it's an attack? It's not impossible that someone using
> your ISP has a computer infected with malware that is trying to propagate;
> provided that your own system is properly updated and protected, you
> shouldn't need to worry.
>
> You might like to read about GRC's "DCOMbobulator"
> <http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm> and the SASSER 'worm'
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasser_(computer_worm)>.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

why?

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:06:25 -0000, joe wrote:

>Hey
>86.22.37.92 keeps dcom'ing me, and lsass attacking me, What you recommend I
>should do? Should I report him to Virgin Media because sometimes its from

Report, yes.

>different IPs too all on the virgin media network, they all keep attacking

Make sure your firewall is blocking these, if it's just logging /
reporting turn off popup alerts.

>me what you all recommend? I reported once a while ago they said they'd look
>into it but never got a response

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers...t-feedback.php

If you would like to report a security concern relating to someone using
our internet service, there are four easy ways to get in touch with our
Internet Security Team
You can send us a fax on 01633 710076
You can contact us by phone on 01633 710142 (voicemail facility, checked
365 days a year)
You can use our Internet Security form
the link is - http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/index.php

Or you can write to us at:
Virgin Media Internet Security Team,
<snip>

Please note: The Internet Security Team are able to deal with Internet
Security issues that originate from our network only.

and / or advice in the user support newsgroup
virginmedia.users.self-help.security
A group for users to help each other with security problems.

Me