Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > testing web page compatibility with older browsers

testing web page compatibility with older browsers

anadashmaria@gmail.com

Needless to say I'm new. I have designed a webapge using Frontpage
2003 and have viewed it with the latest Mozilla Firefox and IE. The
page looks OK to me. Other people tho insist that some text at the top
of the page appears large and overlayed with itself. I assume this is
due to their using older browsers at the very least and not refreshing
the page at the most. How do I make sure my website looks good with
some reasonable amount of varied and older browsers?

anadashmaria@gmail.com

http://www.toscanadayspanewbury.com/

once you click this logo the top of the page (and probably every
subsequent page since the format is an exact copy)

Jonathan N. Little

> http://www.toscanadayspanewbury.com/
>
> once you click this logo the top of the page (and probably every
> subsequent page since the format is an exact copy)

Ugh! 67Kb of M$ BS instead of markup. Looks more like a MS Publisher or
Word creation than FrontPage. Your problem is not *old* browser but the
brittle inflexible manner in which FrontPage has positioned everything
on your page. Increase font size even one increment and everything falls
apart.

Hint to fix remove all "position: absolute"

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (E-Mail Removed) writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> http://www.toscanadayspanewbury.com/
>
> once you click this logo the top of the page (and probably every
> subsequent page since the format is an exact copy)

Well, I must say, it looks really nice with the pale blue background -
or wait, that's because you did not set the page background color, and
assumed that everyone chooses a white background for their window
background color.

I looked at http://www.toscanadayspanewbury.com/newbury.htm

There are 144 markup errors and 2 warnings - http://tinyurl.com/dd7bf9

This might be the worst markup I have ever seen. The first 1710 lines
are all Microsoft BS, that your editor kindly spat out.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Get rid of FrontPage - seriously, delete it from your system and do
not attempt to reinstall it.
2. Read some good HTML markup tutorials - Brucie had a good list a while
back, it's available at http://tinyurl.com/cllguw . Just scroll down to
the list.
3. Start over.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

C A Upsdell

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Needless to say I'm new. I have designed a webapge using Frontpage
> 2003 and have viewed it with the latest Mozilla Firefox and IE. The
> page looks OK to me. Other people tho insist that some text at the top
> of the page appears large and overlayed with itself. I assume this is
> due to their using older browsers at the very least and not refreshing
> the page at the most. How do I make sure my website looks good with
> some reasonable amount of varied and older browsers?

Microsoft killed FrontPage over 2 years ago, and it has long been
obsolete, generating broken code designed for broken browsers.
Microsoft's current equivalent product is Expression Web.

Dump FrontPage. AFAIK Microsoft will sell Expression Web at an upgrade
price if you have a legal copy of FrontPage. There are several
alternatives. Or you could hand code, as I and many others do.

You should also find a good book on learning HTML and CSS.

You should also install a number of today's browsers, for test purposes:
at the very minimum Firefox 2, Firefox 3, Opera 9, Safari 3, and
Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8 RC1. Perhaps also IE 5.01. Perhaps also
Chrome if your pages use JavaScript. Note that installing multiple
versions of IE will be tricky, because Windows only supports one version
at a time. For more about this, see
http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_testing.htm#d02

Jonathan N. Little

C A Upsdell wrote:

> Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8 RC1. Perhaps also IE 5.01. Perhaps also
> Chrome if your pages use JavaScript. Note that installing multiple
> versions of IE will be tricky, because Windows only supports one version
> at a time. For more about this, see
> http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_testing.htm#d02

Technically yes for full versions from MS, but there have been many
folks who have packaged standalone versions that will work on Windows
(NOT Vista). The TredoSoft package bundles IE3-6 and without the
problems that you list on your page. Conditional comments work and I can
run all at once without problems...

http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE
Install multiple versions of IE on your PC | TredoSoft

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

anadashmaria@gmail.com

> Hint to fix remove all "position: absolute"

Thanks to the people who are helping and no thanks to those that are
using this opportunity to make fun.

I did remove all the instances on the newbury.htm page but then the
entire layout was damaged.
Then I undid it and just removed the position:absolute on the Title
where the problem was happenning and that made the "toscana european
day spa" disappear all together.

Can you be a little more specific?

I don't particularly like coding. I like a GUI much better at layout
etc. I am going to learn some more advanced stuff... but for now I
need to fix THIS page.

rf

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hint to fix remove all "position: absolute"

> Thanks to the people who are helping and no thanks to those that are
> using this opportunity to make fun.

Nobody made any fun. Several people quite seriously told you to dump
frontpage, which is good advice.

<snip>

> I don't particularly like coding. I like a GUI much better at layout
> etc. I am going to learn some more advanced stuff... but for now I
> need to fix THIS page.

You will never fix this page while you persist in letting frontpage stuff it
up for you. Starting from scratch would be a better idea.

anadashmaria@gmail.com

Ed,

Do you mind looking at the /newbury.htm page again. I made that change
but there is no way for me to know if it worked unless I install all
the browsers.
It will be a temporary fix if it works and I'll apply it to the rest
of the pages. Thanks!!!!!!

David Segall

<http://browsershots.org/>