Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > testing web page compatibility with older browsers

testing web page compatibility with older browsers

Nik Coughlin

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't particularly like coding. I like a GUI much better at layout
> etc. I am going to learn some more advanced stuff... but for now I
> need to fix THIS page.

If you're going to insist on using a WYSI(sn't)WYG (ie GUI) tool then use
something decent. The successor to Frontpage is Expression and there is a
30 day free trial available. Otherwise I believe that the newer versions of
Dreamweaver are OK.

Also you might be interested in this:

http://browsershots.org/

rf

> Ed,

If you are talking to Ed then why are you replying to me? Oh, I see, you are
using that stupidly broken web interface to usenet. Get yourself a
newsreader and do it properly.

> Do you mind looking at the /newbury.htm page again. I made that change
> but there is no way for me to know if it worked unless I install all
> the browsers.

This page is now broken when using Internet Explorer versions 5.5, 6 and 7,
Netscape, Seamonkey, Firefox, Safari and Chrome. It is very broken when
using Opera.

> It will be a temporary fix if it works and I'll apply it to the rest
> of the pages.

You will not be able to fix that page until you stop using frontpage and get
rid of all that non-standard crap it put in there.

Chaddy2222

On Feb 2, 3:14*pm, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Ed,

> If you are talking to Ed then why are you replying to me? Oh, I see, you are
> using that stupidly broken web interface to usenet. Get yourself a
> newsreader and do it properly.
>
> > Do you mind looking at the /newbury.htm page again. I made that change
> > but there is no way for me to know if it worked unless I install all
> > the browsers.

> This page is now broken when using Internet Explorer versions 5.5, 6 and 7,
> Netscape, Seamonkey, Firefox, Safari and Chrome. It is very broken when
> using Opera.
>
> > It will be a temporary fix if it works and I'll apply it to the rest
> > of the pages.

> You will not be able to fix that page until you stop using frontpage and get
> rid of all that non-standard crap it put in there.

Yeah. Install KompoZer from kompozer.net and start your page all over
again. But read http://htmldog.com first. Use a text editor and do the
tutorials, grab a copy of Crimson editor from crimsoneditor.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ed Mullen wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> http://www.toscanadayspanewbury.com/
>>
>> once you click this logo the top of the page (and probably every
>> subsequent page since the format is an exact copy)

> It is not an issue of older browsers. Look at these screen captures
> of /current/ browsers:

<snip>

Might as well add a screenshot from Opera...
http://tekrider.net/usenet/opera-963.jpg

While the source indicates FrontPlague, I seem to remember there was an
MS Publisher template which included that 'footnote' section with
useless vertical bar in the middle. But that was centuries ago...

The header "<meta name" elements are incorrectly structured.

I find the initial gateway page both annoying and useless.

--
-bts

Bergamot

Ed Mullen wrote:

> As I increase text size in Firefox and SeaMonkey the container of the
> top text does not increase. In IE7 it does.
>
> Why this is happening I can't say.

I assume you are doing CTRL+, intending to increase the text size. CTRL+
does a page zoom in IE7, not text zoom. Use the View menu to change just
the text size in IE.

--
Berg

Andy Dingley

On 2 Feb, 01:52, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I don't particularly like coding.

Then employ someone who does.

You are trying to do something (or at least to make use of something)
that's so technically difficult there simply isn't a good product
available to do it with: purely WYSIWYG drag-and-drop design of web
pages. You're also using a tool that's years old, thoroughly obsolete
and was infamously broken when new. This just isn't going to work.

What you'd like to do is to use a good tool to generate a good page
with little effort, and that little would be spent in working through
a GUI. You can't do this - there aren't any tools like that which are
particularly good. Most good web designers, most people reading
c.i.w.a.h, have stopped looking for them and set to doing it by hand-
coding instead.

As things currently stand, hand-coding is the way to build sites that
work cross-browser and are accesible. Using the GUI tools means a
compromise. It's not a terrible compromise - there are some open
source tools that are usable for it (try KompoZer). If you think that
paying money makes the toosl better, then you could even put up with M
$oft Expression.

Frontpage is execrable. Just don't go there.

Before you start, you need to learn some web design. There are very
few books on this that are any good, and almost no web sites. Two
pretty good books are "Head First Web Design" and "Head First HTML
with CSS & XHTML". You might argue that you shouldn't need to buy a
book (which is cheap) before you dive into using your $hundreds worth
of software. Well maybe not, but don't complain to us, we didn't
charge you for the software and we didn't write FrontPage. We just
build web sites that work, and we tell other people how to do it too.
Some people even listen.

There are issues in using your GUI design tool that aren't obvious.
The Head First books cover most of them. So even if you're not
planning to do any hand-coding, even if you're outsourcing it all to
someone else, reading these two books will make you smarter at buying
those services and will lead to a better web site.

You should also read Joe Clark's web accessibility book (free on-line)

richard

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:47:07 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Needless to say I'm new. I have designed a webapge using Frontpage
>2003 and have viewed it with the latest Mozilla Firefox and IE. The
>page looks OK to me. Other people tho insist that some text at the top
>of the page appears large and overlayed with itself. I assume this is
>due to their using older browsers at the very least and not refreshing
>the page at the most. How do I make sure my website looks good with
>some reasonable amount of varied and older browsers?

Most of the time that happens due mainly to YOUR screen resolution.
e.g. you have yours set to 1280x and the web page looks just fine to
you.
Then along comes some nitwit who refuses to upgrade to something more
modern and whines and complains.
I learned my lesson. When I do a web page I change my screen to at
least 1024x so that I can see how it will look to others who might not
have the newer monitors.

Front Page, any version, was never a viable way to do a web page.
While it may look good and function, coding is crap.

Get yourself a decent editor. I use acehtml free and have never had a
problem with it.

Then as you work on your pages, run them through the validator at
w3.org and correct the errors.
http://validator.w3.org/
Doing so will also help you to learn.

richard

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 20:21:39 -0800, David <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Needless to say I'm new. I have designed a webapge using Frontpage
>> 2003 and have viewed it with the latest Mozilla Firefox and IE. The
>> page looks OK to me. Other people tho insist that some text at the top
>> of the page appears large and overlayed with itself. I assume this is
>> due to their using older browsers at the very least and not refreshing
>> the page at the most. How do I make sure my website looks good with
>> some reasonable amount of varied and older browsers?

>It is messed up on my system and I am running Firefox 3.0.5 so it is not
>older browsers causing your problem. Have a look for yourself.
>http://dm-enterprises.net/toscana.jpg

Really? I use ff 2.

http://sample.1littleworld.com/spa1.jpg

screen set to 1024x768.

Might have to do with your browser settings.
Lower the text point size.

Jonathan N. Little

richard wrote:

> Really? I use ff 2.

Why? FF2 ended support last year?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> I learned my lesson. When I do a web page I change my screen to at
> least 1024x so that I can see how it will look to others who might
> not have the newer monitors.

Why don't you just change the size of your browser window?

--
-bts