Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > importlib: what is it, and why is it important?

importlib: what is it, and why is it important?

excord80

Regarding this blog post: http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2009/01/i...python-31.html

When I use the ``import foo`` statement at the top of my program, I
get a module imported. python has a search path it follows, finds the
module, and makes it available to my program. Works nice.

So, could someone explain what importlib exactly is, and why this new
version that will be in Python 3.1 is significant? Will the import
statement work differently in 3.1, and if so, in what way?

Benjamin Peterson

excord80 <excord80 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Regarding this blog post:

http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2009/01/i...python-31.html

Brett has made many other blog posts about his work on importlib. You might try
examining those.

> So, could someone explain what importlib exactly is, and why this new
> version that will be in Python 3.1 is significant? Will the import
> statement work differently in 3.1, and if so, in what way?

Basically importlib is all of the complicated logic in the import statment
written in Python. The point is to make importing more extensible and easier to
change.

The behavior of the import statement shouldn't be any different or that is a bug.