Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > install modules for specific python version

install modules for specific python version

Brendan Miller

John Machin

On Feb 1, 12:00*pm, Brendan Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have several version of python running side by side on my ubuntu
> install (2.5,2.6,3.0).
>
> I'm installing a module with a setup.py script, in this case
> logilab-common, so that I can get pylint going. However, I need to
> install into python 2.6, but by default it picks out 2.5 and throws
> things in the site packages for that version.
>
> Is there a standard way to specify what version of python you want to
> install into?

Quite generally, if you want to install a module into Python X.Y, use
Python X.Y to run the setup.py script.

E.g. on Windows I'd do
directory-containing-setup.py> c:\python26\python setup.py install

Just do the equivalent on ubuntu.

Cheers,
John