Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Where to host a (Python) project?

Where to host a (Python) project?

andrew cooke

Hi,

I have a new project, that I just released in beta (http://
www.acooke.org/lepl - a recursive decent parser with full
backtracking). At the moment I am using pypi and setuptools for
distribution (it's a pure python package) and I am happy with hosting
static web pages (the manual and api doc linked to above) on my own
site (I did try the packages.python.org web pages, but it seemed
pointless duplicating my own).

However, i am thinking I could really do with:
- a mailing list
- simple bug tracking
- subversion
and am wondering which is the best (free) provider for these (the code
is LGPL open source). I'd prefer a mailing list to something like
google groups (although I guess it may be possible to configure a
gateway) and I could open up my personal subversion server, but that
seems like a lot of work (not really that interested in moving to
something other than svn).

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Andrew

Martin

Hi,

2009/1/31 andrew cooke <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> However, i am thinking I could really do with:
> - a mailing list
> - simple bug tracking
> - subversion
> and am wondering which is the best (free) provider for these (the code
> is LGPL open source). I'd prefer a mailing list to something like
> google groups (although I guess it may be possible to configure a
> gateway) and I could open up my personal subversion server, but that
> seems like a lot of work (not really that interested in moving to
> something other than svn).

Google Groups can be perfectly used as Mailings Lists - while I'm not
a huge fan of them that isn't an argument from your feature list

There's tigris.org, savannah (savannah.gnu.org, nongnu.org),
launchpad. All of them are fine to some extent, you might want to read
up on PyMotW about how Doug Hellmann decided where to host his stuff.

hth
Martin
--
http://soup.alt.delete.co.at
http://www.xing.com/profile/Martin_Marcher

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.

andrew cooke

On Jan 31, 9:59*am, Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There's tigris.org, savannah (savannah.gnu.org, nongnu.org),
> launchpad. All of them are fine to some extent, you might want to read
> up on PyMotW about how Doug Hellmann decided where to host his stuff.

all i can find is that he is writing his own!
http://blog.doughellmann.com/search/label/codehosting
(his reqs are quite different to mine - I am looking for an external
provider because I do not want to host dynamic pages myself).

anyway, if that was what you mean, fine - i just wonder if i am
missing something?

thanks,
andrew

Martin

2009/1/31 andrew cooke <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> On Jan 31, 9:59 am, Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> There's tigris.org, savannah (savannah.gnu.org, nongnu.org),
>> launchpad. All of them are fine to some extent, you might want to read
>> up on PyMotW about how Doug Hellmann decided where to host his stuff.

> all i can find is that he is writing his own!
> http://blog.doughellmann.com/search/label/codehosting
> (his reqs are quite different to mine - I am looking for an external
> provider because I do not want to host dynamic pages myself).

Darn, my bad. I just remembered that something happened in terms of
hosting on his site, I thought he had decided on this:

http://blog.doughellmann.com/2008/12...epository.html
(seems he didn't have any time...)

anyway, tigris, nongnu and savannah are hopefully at least useable
information

/Martin

--
http://soup.alt.delete.co.at
http://www.xing.com/profile/Martin_Marcher
http://www.linkedin.com/in/martinmarcher

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.

Michele Simionato

On Jan 31, 12:46*pm, andrew cooke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Any recommendations?

Google Code seems fine.

eliben

andrew cooke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new project, that I just released in beta (http://
> www.acooke.org/lepl - a recursive decent parser with full
> backtracking). At the moment I am using pypi and setuptools for
> distribution (it's a pure python package) and I am happy with hosting
> static web pages (the manual and api doc linked to above) on my own
> site (I did try the packages.python.org web pages, but it seemed
> pointless duplicating my own).
>
> However, i am thinking I could really do with:
> - a mailing list
> - simple bug tracking
> - subversion

code.google.com provides all of these in a free and convenient manner.
Recommended.

andrew cooke

On Jan 31, 11:22*am, eliben <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> code.google.com provides all of these in a free and convenient manner.
> Recommended.

unfortunately google don't seem that reliable ;o) (have you tried a
google search today?)

Colin J. Williams

andrew cooke wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:22 am, eliben <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> code.google.com provides all of these in a free and convenient manner.
>> Recommended.

> unfortunately google don't seem that reliable ;o) (have you tried a
> google search today?)

I had a search problem today (10:00),
the first I can remember, in which the
response from a Google pointer was:

Warning - visiting this web site may
harm your computer!

Yes, this is not Python related but I
think that it is likely of general
interest.

Now, at 12:00, I get the page I was seeking.

Colin W.

ajaksu

On Jan 31, 1:03*pm, andrew cooke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:22*am, eliben <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > code.google.com provides all of these in a free and convenient manner.
> > Recommended.

> unfortunately google don't seem that reliable ;o) *(have you tried a
> google search today?)

You can mirror at LP, bitbucket, github, etc.

Giampaolo Rodola'

On 31 Gen, 12:46, andrew cooke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new project, that I just released in beta (http://www.acooke.org/lepl- a recursive decent parser with full
> backtracking). *At the moment I am using pypi and setuptools for
> distribution (it's a pure python package) and I am happy with hosting
> static web pages (the manual and api doc linked to above) on my own
> site (I did try the packages.python.org web pages, but it seemed
> pointless duplicating my own).
>
> However, i am thinking I could really do with:
> - a mailing list
> - simple bug tracking
> - subversion
> and am wondering which is the best (free) provider for these (the code
> is LGPL open source). *I'd prefer a mailing list to something like
> google groups (although I guess it may be possible to configure a
> gateway) and I could open up my personal subversion server, but that
> seems like a lot of work (not really that interested in moving to
> something other than svn).
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew