Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > AMD has released Catalyst 9.1

AMD has released Catalyst 9.1

Bobby Johnson

AMD has released Catalyst 9.1 drivers that have full OpenGL
3.0 support wrapped in. They also support Hybrid CrossFire
under Linux as well as multiview.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Bobby Johnson

The entire Vista x64 driver package even installed in Win 7 x64.

Bobby Johnson wrote:
> AMD has released Catalyst 9.1 drivers that have full OpenGL 3.0 support
> wrapped in. They also support Hybrid CrossFire under Linux as well as
> multiview.
>

> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Carlos

Bobby,
Those are good news.
I had this little issue with the 8.12's and I would like to know if it is
solved in this new release before attempting an install.
Issue would show up when resuming from sleep. Screen resolution would change
and when trying to get it back to normal, the drop down list of available
resolutions didn't match the ones for my monitor though the monitor was
properly identified in Device Manager.
My monitor runs "naturally" in 1680x1050. After the "awakening" it was in
1440x900 and the only available one with 1680 was 1680x1200.
Eager to listen to your comments!

Carlos

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> The entire Vista x64 driver package even installed in Win 7 x64.
>

> Bobby Johnson wrote:
> > AMD has released Catalyst 9.1 drivers that have full OpenGL 3.0 support
> > wrapped in. They also support Hybrid CrossFire under Linux as well as
> > multiview.
> >

> > http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Bobby Johnson

Carlos,

I just did a quick test of going to sleep and then waking up
after about 2 minutes and I don't see any of the problems
you note below.

What I was checking for was whether it would install or not.
I never tried the Vista 8.12 version, but the beta that
was specifically for Win 7 just failed to install - no error
noted, just didn't install.

Bobby

Carlos wrote:
> Bobby,
> Those are good news.
> I had this little issue with the 8.12's and I would like to know if it is
> solved in this new release before attempting an install.
> Issue would show up when resuming from sleep. Screen resolution would change
> and when trying to get it back to normal, the drop down list of available
> resolutions didn't match the ones for my monitor though the monitor was
> properly identified in Device Manager.
> My monitor runs "naturally" in 1680x1050. After the "awakening" it was in
> 1440x900 and the only available one with 1680 was 1680x1200.
> Eager to listen to your comments!
>
> Carlos
>
> "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
>
>> The entire Vista x64 driver package even installed in Win 7 x64.
>>

>> Bobby Johnson wrote:
>>> AMD has released Catalyst 9.1 drivers that have full OpenGL 3.0 support
>>> wrapped in. They also support Hybrid CrossFire under Linux as well as
>>> multiview.
>>>

>>> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Carlos

Bobby,
After writing my post I noticed that I had been misleading when quoting the
drivers as "8.12".
There were three to choose from:
1.- The regular 8.12's for Vista
2.- The hotfix 8.12's.
3.- The Win 7 8.12's.
I didn't install #3 because the drivers were not signed and I didn't want to
do the F8 thing on every reboot.
I did install #2 because I had read in a forum that they worked Ok in Win 7.
Installation had to be done from an elevated command prompt typing something
like "atisetup.exe -install".
They worked, no issues, except for the screen resolution thing. So I did a
system restore and went back to the drivers downloaded via Windows Update.
I am interested more in the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) rather than the
drivers itself.
This 4850 card runs hot at idle (by design) and by means of CCC I can crank
up the fan speed to 40 or 50% from the 20% default (silent but hot).
Thanks for your feedback. I'll install 9.1's as soon as get back home.
Carlos

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> Carlos,
>
> I just did a quick test of going to sleep and then waking up
> after about 2 minutes and I don't see any of the problems
> you note below.
>
> What I was checking for was whether it would install or not.
> I never tried the Vista 8.12 version, but the beta that
> was specifically for Win 7 just failed to install - no error
> noted, just didn't install.
>

> Bobby
>
> Carlos wrote:
> > Bobby,
> > Those are good news.
> > I had this little issue with the 8.12's and I would like to know if it is
> > solved in this new release before attempting an install.
> > Issue would show up when resuming from sleep. Screen resolution would change
> > and when trying to get it back to normal, the drop down list of available
> > resolutions didn't match the ones for my monitor though the monitor was
> > properly identified in Device Manager.
> > My monitor runs "naturally" in 1680x1050. After the "awakening" it was in
> > 1440x900 and the only available one with 1680 was 1680x1200.
> > Eager to listen to your comments!
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
> >
> >> The entire Vista x64 driver package even installed in Win 7 x64.

Kue2

Carlos I installed these drivers last night on my brother-in-laws computer.
You can install the "package"with" (the catalyst control center), or just
the driver.I put the package on his computer,worked fine.Thanks for the tip
on adjusting fan speed.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bobby,
> After writing my post I noticed that I had been misleading when quoting
> the
> drivers as "8.12".
> There were three to choose from:
> 1.- The regular 8.12's for Vista
> 2.- The hotfix 8.12's.
> 3.- The Win 7 8.12's.
> I didn't install #3 because the drivers were not signed and I didn't want
> do the F8 thing on every reboot.
> I did install #2 because I had read in a forum that they worked Ok in Win
> 7.
> Installation had to be done from an elevated command prompt typing
> something
> like "atisetup.exe -install".
> They worked, no issues, except for the screen resolution thing. So I did a
> system restore and went back to the drivers downloaded via Windows Update.
> I am interested more in the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) rather than the
> drivers itself.
> This 4850 card runs hot at idle (by design) and by means of CCC I can
> crank
> up the fan speed to 40 or 50% from the 20% default (silent but hot).
> Thanks for your feedback. I'll install 9.1's as soon as get back home.
> Carlos
>
> "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
>
>> Carlos,
>>
>> I just did a quick test of going to sleep and then waking up
>> after about 2 minutes and I don't see any of the problems
>> you note below.
>>
>> What I was checking for was whether it would install or not.
>> I never tried the Vista 8.12 version, but the beta that
>> was specifically for Win 7 just failed to install - no error
>> noted, just didn't install.
>>

>> Bobby
>>
>> Carlos wrote:
>> > Bobby,
>> > Those are good news.
>> > I had this little issue with the 8.12's and I would like to know if it
>> > is
>> > solved in this new release before attempting an install.
>> > Issue would show up when resuming from sleep. Screen resolution would
>> > change
>> > and when trying to get it back to normal, the drop down list of
>> > available
>> > resolutions didn't match the ones for my monitor though the monitor was
>> > properly identified in Device Manager.
>> > My monitor runs "naturally" in 1680x1050. After the "awakening" it was
>> > in
>> > 1440x900 and the only available one with 1680 was 1680x1200.
>> > Eager to listen to your comments!
>> >
>> > Carlos

Carlos

Hugh,
I also installed these drivers in Win 7 b1 x64 with no problems.
After resuming from sleep screen resolution doesn't change.
These 4850 cards run with their fan at a very low speed (20% of the total)
causing it to be silent and also to run quite hot (close to 80 deg C).
I don't care about the noise so I set the fan speed somewhere between 40 and
50%,
lowering the temperature by 15 deg C.
Carlos