Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can get computers to access the internet

Can get computers to access the internet

metspitzer

Because I use P2P I have a assign an ip to my computers. I do know
how to do this, but I always have trouble when the Internet goes down.

My computer will connect to the Internet when it is plugged directly
into the modem, but when I plug the modem back into the router I don't
get Internet. The computers can talk back and forth on the network
but neither computer can access the network.

I have both set to obtain an ip address automatically.

Suggestions?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Posting the results of ipconfig/all on both computer may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"metspitzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Because I use P2P I have a assign an ip to my computers. I do know
> how to do this, but I always have trouble when the Internet goes down.
>
> My computer will connect to the Internet when it is plugged directly
> into the modem, but when I plug the modem back into the router I don't
> get Internet. The computers can talk back and forth on the network
> but neither computer can access the network.
>
> I have both set to obtain an ip address automatically.
>
> Suggestions?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The IPs that are used on a LAN side of a Router are private IPs (the
192.168.x.x type).
When a computer is connected directly to a Modem the working IP is an
external Internet IP.
An External IP can not work on a private LAN.
Could be that your Modem is actually a Modem/Router combo and then the
story is different.
However without a detailed description of your system it is impossible to
provide further advise.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"metspitzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Because I use P2P I have a assign an ip to my computers. I do know
> how to do this, but I always have trouble when the Internet goes down.
>
> My computer will connect to the Internet when it is plugged directly
> into the modem, but when I plug the modem back into the router I don't
> get Internet. The computers can talk back and forth on the network
> but neither computer can access the network.
>
> I have both set to obtain an ip address automatically.
>
> Suggestions?

metspitzer

This is what I get when I type ipconfig/all
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Winmx
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink
plete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-03-D4-55
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
24.197.160.18

I am pretty sure I am overlooking a step when changing from an
automatic ip and a static one.

Every time my modem goes out, the tech support expects me to be on one
computer bypassing the router. So every time the modem goes down I
change my setting to "obtain an ip address automatically."

I had a working network using static ips, but the ready light on my
modem started flashing. I called the tech support to come out and
look at it after I went thru the troubleshooting steps at tech
support.

Right now, the computer I am using will connect while plugged into the
modem, but when I plug it into the router I don't get Internet access.
It will talk to the other computer which I have also changed to
"obtain an ip address automatically"

With both machines set to "obtain an ip address automatically" it
should just be a matter of plugging the modem into the router, and
plugging the computers into the router. Right?

I don't remember the steps I follow when I reassign the ip addresses,
but resetting the computer to "obtain an ip address automatically"
should put me back to square one? Am I missing something else that
has to be changed back in forth to assign a static ip?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:24:18 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>The IPs that are used on a LAN side of a Router are private IPs (the
>192.168.x.x type).
>When a computer is connected directly to a Modem the working IP is an
>external Internet IP.
>An External IP can not work on a private LAN.
>Could be that your Modem is actually a Modem/Router combo and then the
>story is different.
>However without a detailed description of your system it is impossible to
>provide further advise.
>Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
>"metspitzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Because I use P2P I have a assign an ip to my computers. I do know
>> how to do this, but I always have trouble when the Internet goes down.
>>
>> My computer will connect to the Internet when it is plugged directly
>> into the modem, but when I plug the modem back into the router I don't
>> get Internet. The computers can talk back and forth on the network
>> but neither computer can access the network.
>>
>> I have both set to obtain an ip address automatically.
>>
>> Suggestions?

Jim

Replies inline---
"metspitzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is what I get when I type ipconfig/all
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Winmx
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink
> plete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-03-D4-55
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.114.38.210
> 24.197.160.18
>
> I am pretty sure I am overlooking a step when changing from an
> automatic ip and a static one.

The results from ipconfig/all certainly were obtained when the computer was
not connected to your router.

> Every time my modem goes out, the tech support expects me to be on one
> computer bypassing the router. So every time the modem goes down I
> change my setting to "obtain an ip address automatically."
>
> I had a working network using static ips, but the ready light on my
> modem started flashing. I called the tech support to come out and
> look at it after I went thru the troubleshooting steps at tech
> support.
>
> Right now, the computer I am using will connect while plugged into the
> modem, but when I plug it into the router I don't get Internet access.
> It will talk to the other computer which I have also changed to
> "obtain an ip address automatically"
>
> With both machines set to "obtain an ip address automatically" it
> should just be a matter of plugging the modem into the router, and
> plugging the computers into the router. Right?

No, the router must be configured correctly as well.

> I don't remember the steps I follow when I reassign the ip addresses,
> but resetting the computer to "obtain an ip address automatically"
> should put me back to square one? Am I missing something else that
> has to be changed back in forth to assign a static ip?

Your machine is obtaining its ip address ( 24.178.137.140) automatically
right now from the dhcp server at 68.114.38.210
Most local routers assign ip addresses from the block 192.168.x.x.
The reason that both of your machines can send messages back and forth is
that both have ip addresses in the 24.178.137.x block.

You will need to consult the router manual for instructions on how to setup
the router.
Jim

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:24:18 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>The IPs that are used on a LAN side of a Router are private IPs (the
>>192.168.x.x type).
>>When a computer is connected directly to a Modem the working IP is an
>>external Internet IP.
>>An External IP can not work on a private LAN.
>>Could be that your Modem is actually a Modem/Router combo and then the
>>story is different.
>>However without a detailed description of your system it is impossible to
>>provide further advise.
>>Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>>"metspitzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Because I use P2P I have a assign an ip to my computers. I do know
>>> how to do this, but I always have trouble when the Internet goes down.
>>>
>>> My computer will connect to the Internet when it is plugged directly
>>> into the modem, but when I plug the modem back into the router I don't
>>> get Internet. The computers can talk back and forth on the network
>>> but neither computer can access the network.
>>>
>>> I have both set to obtain an ip address automatically.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?

metspitzer

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:52:07 -0500, metspitzer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Because I use P2P I have a assign an ip to my computers. I do know
>how to do this, but I always have trouble when the Internet goes down.
>
>My computer will connect to the Internet when it is plugged directly
>into the modem, but when I plug the modem back into the router I don't
>get Internet. The computers can talk back and forth on the network
>but neither computer can access the network.
>
>I have both set to obtain an ip address automatically.
>
>Suggestions?

I have a D-link router. There was a setting for "reset DHCP" I reset
that and now everything is working.

Thanks everyone.

Now I have to assign ip addresses again, and hope I can remember what
I did next time Charter goes down.