Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Strange onchange behavior

Re: Strange onchange behavior

The Natural Philosopher

sheldonlg wrote:
> In many places I have something like:
>
> <select id="foo" name="foo"
> onchange="AJAX('routine.php?id=' + this.value)">
> <option value="1">tic</option>
> <option value="2">toc</option>
> </select>
>
> I use Firebug in my development and always, in the past, when I change
> the option selected I see the command appear in the Console tab of
> Firebug and the action occurs. (AJAX is a javascript utility I put
> together to do all the AJAX stuff).
>
> Today, on one page that I was working on, nothing happened when I did an
> option change. Also, nothing appeared in the console tab. Things work
> on other pages so it is not the browser having javascript turned off. I
> looked at the element in the view source and in the Inspect of Firebug
> and both show the type of code above.
>
> Has anyone ever come across a situation where changing the selection in
> a list having an onchange action doesn't do anything?

Yes, and significant difference between firefox and IE7.

IIRC the onchange applied to the select in one browser, and the option
in another or something.

IIRC I ended up using onclicks in the option element, and figuring the
rest out on 'software' for reliability..

The Natural Philosopher

sheldonlg wrote:
> kangax wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> [...]
>>> IIRC I ended up using onclicks in the option element, and figuring
>>> the rest out on 'software' for reliability..

>> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't it?
>>

> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

Jonathan N. Little

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> sheldonlg wrote:
>> kangax wrote:
>>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't it?
>>>

>> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

> Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

Yes, especially with forms

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> sheldonlg wrote:
>> kangax wrote:
>>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't

it?

>> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

> Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

As Jonothan said, especially with forms, but I use the keyboard a lot
anyway. A lot of times I find it easier to tab through a page, and that
becomes even more important when using a ua that does not have a
pointing device, like an older phone. So the answer is, yes, there are
still a lot of people who use keyboard navigation.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

The Natural Philosopher

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> sheldonlg wrote:

> it?
>>> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

>> Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?
>>

> As Jonothan said, especially with forms, but I use the keyboard a lot
> anyway. A lot of times I find it easier to tab through a page, and that
> becomes even more important when using a ua that does not have a
> pointing device, like an older phone.

Ah, so you find pulse dial phones useful in navigating web sites do you?

Even year, I have tone dial phones...

So the answer is, yes, there are
> still a lot of people who use keyboard navigation.

Let me tell you there are alaos a lot of peope who use old type phones
as well.

Ones that wouln't known an internet if it ****ed all over them

What planet ARE you on?

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2009-01-30, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> sheldonlg wrote:
>> kangax wrote:
>>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't it?
>>>

>> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

> Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

Yes. Not often, but there are times when it is faster than reaching
for the mouse.

Author:

Jonathan N. Little

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> As Jonothan said, especially with forms, but I use the keyboard a lot
>> anyway. A lot of times I find it easier to tab through a page, and
>> that becomes even more important when using a ua that does not have a
>> pointing device, like an older phone.

> Ah, so you find pulse dial phones useful in navigating web sites do you?

Not really accurate analogy, a mouse did not *replace* a keyboard. If
you hands are already on the keyboard keys is can be more expedient to
hit another key than reach for the mouse. Also for me, if I am stuck
with a laptop with that blinking touch pad the keyboard is my savior!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Bergamot

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> sheldonlg wrote:
>> kangax wrote:
>>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't it?
>>>

>> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

> Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

I do! I do!

I have poor coordination with pointing devices so can do things much,
much faster using the keyboard. I utilize browser features like
type-ahead-find and tabbing to get almost anywhere in a page pretty quickly.

--
Berg

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> As Jonothan said, especially with forms, but I use the keyboard a lot
>> anyway. A lot of times I find it easier to tab through a page, and
>> that becomes even more important when using a ua that does not have a
>> pointing device, like an older phone.

> Ah, so you find pulse dial phones useful in navigating web sites do
> you?

I'm sorry. I was referring to older cell phones with Internet, not the
newer touchscreen cell phones. I was not referring to land line phones.

> Even year, I have tone dial phones...
>

> So the answer is, yes, there are
>> still a lot of people who use keyboard navigation.
>>

> Let me tell you there are alaos a lot of peope who use old type phones
> as well.

Yes, my boss has an old rotary phone and guess what, it still works
because the service provider still recognizes pulse dialing. We don't
use it for dialing out, only for incoming calls, but it's nice to know
that it still works.

> Ones that wouln't known an internet if it ****ed all over them

Just because one has antiques does not mean one doesn't know what an
Internet is - one does not have to be ****ed on.

> What planet ARE you on?

I happen to be on the planet Earth, in the United States, in California,
the County of Los Angeles, in Glendale.

My computer is sitting on top of the desk that belonged to my great-
grandfather, Monroe Alpheus Majors, who used this desk to write the book
"Noted Negro Women". He also corresponded with Frederick Douglas and
was a good friend of Booker T. Washington.

--

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>>> As Jonothan said, especially with forms, but I use the keyboard a lot
>>> anyway. A lot of times I find it easier to tab through a page, and
>>> that becomes even more important when using a ua that does not have a
>>> pointing device, like an older phone.

>> Ah, so you find pulse dial phones useful in navigating web sites do
>> you?

> I'm sorry. I was referring to older cell phones with Internet, not the
> newer touchscreen cell phones. I was not referring to land line phones.

Well my 'cell phone' doesn't do Internet at all.

The whole point of 'going out' is to get AWAY from internet

>> Even year, I have tone dial phones...
>>

>> So the answer is, yes, there are
>>> still a lot of people who use keyboard navigation.
>>>

>> Let me tell you there are alaos a lot of peope who use old type phones
>> as well.

> Yes, my boss has an old rotary phone and guess what, it still works
> because the service provider still recognizes pulse dialing. We don't
> use it for dialing out, only for incoming calls, but it's nice to know
> that it still works.
>
>> Ones that wouln't known an internet if it ****ed all over them

> Just because one has antiques does not mean one doesn't know what an
> Internet is - one does not have to be ****ed on.
>
>> What planet ARE you on?
>>

> I happen to be on the planet Earth, in the United States, in California,
> the County of Los Angeles, in Glendale.

That's not the *real* world though, is it? Gosh, you are nearly in
HollyWeird.

> My computer is sitting on top of the desk that belonged to my great-
> grandfather, Monroe Alpheus Majors, who used this desk to write the book
> "Noted Negro Women". He also corresponded with Frederick Douglas and
> was a good friend of Booker T. Washington.

Good grief. Well I am sitting watching a chilly sunrise not very far
from where Boudicca and the Iceni made their stand against the Romans..

My computer - a very tired G4 Mac, is sitting UNDER a desk I got free
from a company that threw them out..the server next to it is a giveway
from a mate, and the phone to my left is a 12 year old Nokia that I do
not use.

My mouse was $2.50 on ebay, It says 'IBM' on it. Wonder who they are.
The M is nearly worn off. The scroll wheel is a bit ddy, but I fixed it
with epoxy resin and a smidgeon of carbon fibre rod.

The keyboards is crap Macally.. the cats ****ed on the Macintosh one.
And blew the USB ports and the keyboard input chip.

The house is reasonably new, but nothing in it is.