Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Strange onchange behavior

Re: Strange onchange behavior

Neredbojias

On 29 Jan 2009, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

> In many places I have something like:
>
> <select id="foo" name="foo"
> onchange="AJAX('routine.php?id=' + this.value)">
> <option value="1">tic</option>
> <option value="2">toc</option>
> </select>
>
> I use Firebug in my development and always, in the past, when I
> change the option selected I see the command appear in the Console
> tab of Firebug and the action occurs. (AJAX is a javascript utility
> I put together to do all the AJAX stuff).
>
> Today, on one page that I was working on, nothing happened when I did
> an option change. Also, nothing appeared in the console tab. Things
> work on other pages so it is not the browser having javascript turned
> off. I looked at the element in the view source and in the Inspect
> of Firebug and both show the type of code above.
>
> Has anyone ever come across a situation where changing the selection
> in a list having an onchange action doesn't do anything?

Sounds like a j/s error somewhere in the page.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

rf

sheldonlg wrote:
> Neredbojias wrote:
>> On 29 Jan 2009, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
>>
>>> In many places I have something like:
>>>
>>> <select id="foo" name="foo"
>>> onchange="AJAX('routine.php?id=' + this.value)">
>>> <option value="1">tic</option>
>>> <option value="2">toc</option>
>>> </select>
>>>
>>> I use Firebug in my development and always, in the past, when I
>>> change the option selected I see the command appear in the Console
>>> tab of Firebug and the action occurs. (AJAX is a javascript utility
>>> I put together to do all the AJAX stuff).
>>>
>>> Today, on one page that I was working on, nothing happened when I
>>> did an option change. Also, nothing appeared in the console tab. Things
>>> work on other pages so it is not the browser having
>>> javascript turned off. I looked at the element in the view source
>>> and in the Inspect of Firebug and both show the type of code above.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever come across a situation where changing the selection
>>> in a list having an onchange action doesn't do anything?

>> Sounds like a j/s error somewhere in the page.

> I hear you, and I thought that too. However, the only javascript on
> any of the pages is via included files and these are common to all
> pages.

Then validate the HTML on that page.

Neredbojias

On 29 Jan 2009, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

>>> <select id="foo" name="foo"
>>> onchange="AJAX('routine.php?id=' + this.value)">
>>> <option value="1">tic</option>
>>> <option value="2">toc</option>
>>> </select>
>>>
>>> I use Firebug in my development and always, in the past, when I
>>> change the option selected I see the command appear in the Console
>>> tab of Firebug and the action occurs. (AJAX is a javascript
>>> utility I put together to do all the AJAX stuff).
>>>
>>> Today, on one page that I was working on, nothing happened when I
>>> did an option change. Also, nothing appeared in the console tab.
>>> Things work on other pages so it is not the browser having
>>> javascript turned off. I looked at the element in the view source
>>> and in the Inspect of Firebug and both show the type of code above.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever come across a situation where changing the
>>> selection in a list having an onchange action doesn't do anything?

>> Sounds like a j/s error somewhere in the page.

> I hear you, and I thought that too. However, the only javascript on
> any of the pages is via included files and these are common to all
> pages.

Do you have all the ids, classes, and any other necessary references to
which the j/s refers?