Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I change my google group posting name?

How do I change my google group posting name?

Sam

Besides each post the person's name or nick name is posted. I wanted
to put my nickname there, but how to I change it. I thought I saw it
somewhere under Profile, but now I can't find it. thanks.

The Real Truth MVP

There is a link to change your nickname just to the right of your name when
you compose a message.

"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Besides each post the person's name or nick name is posted. I wanted
> to put my nickname there, but how to I change it. I thought I saw it
> somewhere under Profile, but now I can't find it. thanks.

VanguardLH

Sam wrote:

> Besides each post the person's name or nick name is posted. I wanted
> to put my nickname there, but how to I change it. I thought I saw it
> somewhere under Profile, but now I can't find it. thanks.

http://groups.google.com
Signin
Profile
Edit
Name field

But why do you need to use Google Groups. In general, a Google Grouper
are seen as boob's boob. They're at the low end of the brain-power
spectrum for users. A large portion of posts coming from Google Groups
are spam or point to malware. Lots of Usenetizens will block or
killfile all posts from Google Groups (http://improve-usenet.org/). Use
a real newsreader and connect it to a real newsgroups server. There are
lots of free newsreaders. There are few good free newsgroup servers,
and some others are super cheap.

Mike Easter

Sam wrote:
> Besides each post the person's name or nick name is posted. I wanted
> to put my nickname there, but how to I change it. I thought I saw it
> somewhere under Profile, but now I can't find it. thanks.

GG googlegroups is a very bad way to read and post to usenet, such as this
group.

GG should only be used for searching GG or for posting to googlespecific
groups. You should use a newsreader and a newsserver for reading and
posting to usenet. If you already know how to use a mailuser agent such
as Outlook Express, Live Mail, or Thunderbird, you know how to use a news
agent.

You change your nickname (globally, for all groups) in 'My Account' -- the
name field in Profile is not the same thing as your nickname (handle, nym)
ie Sam here for your posts.

--
Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark

Mike Easter wrote:

> Sam wrote:
>> Besides each post the person's name or nick name is posted. I wanted
>> to put my nickname there, but how to I change it. I thought I saw it
>> somewhere under Profile, but now I can't find it. thanks.

> GG googlegroups is a very bad way to read and post to usenet, such as this
> group.

Now you're going to have to explain "usenet".

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Sam

Exactly, that is my question how do I change My Sam nickname to
something else. As the other person mentioned to go to Profile,
edit, name, that is no good (right now it is blank name), What I
want to change is the nickname that appears when I post. tx

Sam

Actually, there is also under google's account " Edit personal
information" and one of the fields is Nickname, but the nickname that
I have there is not what appears when I post. Is there two different
nicknames. I can't find any menu in my googles account that even
shows Sam, how is that possible.

Sam

Yes, I have used outlook express before but did not like it as much.
In googles groups with account, I can't keep track of all my post
easily and from any computer. Also, in outlook express I found it
more time consuming to find one of the threads that I posted in the
past.

Mike Easter

Sam wrote:
> Actually, there is also under google's account " Edit personal
> information" and one of the fields is Nickname, but the nickname that
> I have there is not what appears when I post. Is there two different
> nicknames. I can't find any menu in my googles account that even
> shows Sam, how is that possible.

The account you are posting with here is the one which logs in as

If you login to GG with that account, then click My Account, then in the
section 'email address' click Edit, then you can access personal
information which contains firstname lastname nickname. That nickname
should say 'Sam'

You can also see the Sam effect if you are logged in with the
(E-Mail Removed) account and go to 'manage my memberships'. That
membership settings allows you to set the nickname for all groups, or you
can set the nickname independently for each group you participate.

I suspect that if you are seeing something different from Sam, then you
have become confused by a feature of google accounts which causes them to
be logged into various google accounts when they have logged into one.
For example, if you have a gmail account, when you log into gmail, then
you are also logged into GG with that gmail account.

But, you are currently posting not with a gmail account, but with a yahoo
addressed GG account.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Sam wrote:
> Yes, I have used outlook express before but did not like it as much.
> In googles groups with account, I can't keep track of all my post
> easily and from any computer. Also, in outlook express I found it
> more time consuming to find one of the threads that I posted in the
> past.

If you are hopping from computer to computer, one strategy to enable you
to use a newsreader is to use what is called a 'portable app' or
application.

Such as Mozilla Thunderbird is available as a portable app. You keep the
portable app and all of its associated files on a 'thumb drive' - a USB
flash drive. You put the thumbdrive in your pocket as you travel from one
computer to the other and plug the thumbdrive into the next computer's usb
port and fire up the Tbird.

When you are using a newsagent, you keep up with the groups you follow and
post to by subscribing to them. Depending on the newsagent, you can also
flag or color or mark the threads you are participating.

How many different computers do you use to access newsgroups such as this
one?

--
Mike Easter