Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP home 64 bit with drivers 32 bit

XP home 64 bit with drivers 32 bit

Fabien Voland

Hello,

I would like to know :

In the case that I will use a version XP Home 64-bit,
the drivers must necessarily be written in 64 bit or is it possible to
use 32 bit drivers in XP 64 bit ?

Looking forward to your support, I offer you my best regards.

Fabien Voland

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

64 bit, so make sure that you check drivers are available before
installation! If possible, download them beforehand and burn them to a CD
or DVD. One of the commonest requests for help is for NIC drivers without
which the PC cannot get other drivers, updates etc etc!
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Fabien Voland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know :
>
> In the case that I will use a version XP Home 64-bit,
> the drivers must necessarily be written in 64 bit or is it possible to
> use 32 bit drivers in XP 64 bit ?
>
> Looking forward to your support, I offer you my best regards.
>
> Fabien Voland

Bobby Johnson

There is no 64-bit XP Home. Windows XP Pro x64 is the only
version, and, yes, the drivers MUST be 64-bit for the Win
x64 system. 32-bit drivers will not work!

Fabien Voland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know :
>
> In the case that I will use a version XP Home 64-bit,
> the drivers must necessarily be written in 64 bit or is it possible to
> use 32 bit drivers in XP 64 bit ?
>
> Looking forward to your support, I offer you my best regards.
>
> Fabien Voland

Charlie Russel - MVP

As Bobby says, there is no Home version of XP that is 64-bit. There was only
an OEM XP Professional x64 Edition. Drivers must be 64-bit, and at this
point if you can't find a driver for something, your chances are not good
that one will be available later. Most companies have focused their 64-bit
drivers around Vista 64-bit. (There are, btw, both Home Basic and Home
Premium versions of Windows Vista 64bit. )

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64