Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > ip unnumbered

ip unnumbered

tweety

Hi folks,

Im a newbie to cisco hardware and configuration.

I was wondering if there was anyway i could do an ip unnumbered sort
of set up for the following.

I am being presented with a leased line via ethernet, i wil terminate
this on fa0/0, i want fa0/1 to be the LAN interface, however i need
that to have the same ip as fa0/0, same sort of idea with a leased
line provided via x21. Int s0/0 ip unnumbered fastethernet 0/1. I know
i ban't do an ip unnumberered on a non point to point multi access
interface.

Anyone any ideas? Maybe a loopback with some policy routing?

Im totally stumped, any pointers would be apprecited guys, thanks.

Andrew

bod43

On 28 Jan, 20:32, tweety <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Im a newbie to cisco hardware and configuration.
>
> I was wondering if there was anyway i could do an ip unnumbered sort
> of set up for the following.
>
> I am being presented with a leased line via ethernet, i wil terminate
> this on fa0/0, i want fa0/1 to be the LAN interface, however i need
> that to have the same ip as fa0/0, same sort of idea with a leased
> line provided via x21. Int s0/0 ip unnumbered fastethernet 0/1. I know
> i ban't do an ip unnumberered on a non point to point multi access
> interface.
>
> Anyone any ideas? Maybe a loopback with some policy routing?

Bridging.

It can be a bit confusung (I found) so I have guessed
at a config - not typed it in to verify.

bridge irb
bridge 1 protocol ieee
bridge 1 route ip

! type in again - they are order sensitive and this fixes it.
bridge irb
bridge 1 protocol ieee
bridge 1 route ip
! check you have no errors reported

int bvi 1
ip address whatever.you.want mask...

int fa 0/0
no ip address
bridge group 1

int fa 0/1
no ip address
bridge group 1

tweety

On Jan 28, 8:44*pm, bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 28 Jan, 20:32, tweety <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,

> > Im a newbie to cisco hardware and configuration.

> > I was wondering if there was anyway i could do an ip unnumbered sort
> > of set up for the following.

> > I am being presented with a leased line via ethernet, i wil terminate
> > this on fa0/0, i want fa0/1 to be the LAN interface, however i need
> > that to have the same ip as fa0/0, same sort of idea with a leased
> > line provided via x21. Int s0/0 ip unnumbered fastethernet 0/1. I know
> > i ban't do an ip unnumberered on a non point to point multi access
> > interface.

> > Anyone any ideas? Maybe a loopback with some policy routing?

> Bridging.
>
> It can be a bit confusung (I found) so I have guessed
> at a config - not typed it in to verify.
>
> bridge irb
> bridge 1 protocol ieee
> bridge 1 route ip
>
> ! type in again - they are order sensitive and this fixes it.
> bridge irb
> bridge 1 protocol ieee
> bridge 1 route ip
> ! check you have no errors reported
>
> int bvi 1
> ip address whatever.you.want *mask...
>
> int fa 0/0
> no ip address
> bridge group 1
>
> int fa 0/1
> no ip address
> bridge group 1

Thanks i will give it a try, so routing wise i can point a defaul
route to int fa0/0 etc?

Your a diamond for replying

tweety

On Jan 28, 8:48*pm, tweety <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 8:44*pm, bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On 28 Jan, 20:32, tweety <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Hi folks,

> > > Im a newbie to cisco hardware and configuration.

> > > I was wondering if there was anyway i could do an ip unnumbered sort
> > > of set up for the following.

> > > I am being presented with a leased line via ethernet, i wil terminate
> > > this on fa0/0, i want fa0/1 to be the LAN interface, however i need
> > > that to have the same ip as fa0/0, same sort of idea with a leased
> > > line provided via x21. Int s0/0 ip unnumbered fastethernet 0/1. I know
> > > i ban't do an ip unnumberered on a non point to point multi access
> > > interface.

> > > Anyone any ideas? Maybe a loopback with some policy routing?

> > Bridging.

> > It can be a bit confusung (I found) so I have guessed
> > at a config - not typed it in to verify.

> > bridge irb
> > bridge 1 protocol ieee
> > bridge 1 route ip

> > ! type in again - they are order sensitive and this fixes it.
> > bridge irb
> > bridge 1 protocol ieee
> > bridge 1 route ip
> > ! check you have no errors reported

> > int bvi 1
> > ip address whatever.you.want *mask...

> > int fa 0/0
> > no ip address
> > bridge group 1

> > int fa 0/1
> > no ip address
> > bridge group 1

> Thanks i will give it a try, so routing wise i can point a defaul
> route to int fa0/0 etc?
>
> Your a diamond for replying - Hide quoted text -

Hi,

When i use the above config i cant send a default route to e0/0

int e0/0
no ip address
bridge-group 1

int e0/1
no ip address
bridge-group 1

int bvi1
ip address 192.168.172.9 255.255.255.0

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks for any input

Andrew

bod43

On 28 Jan, 23:05, tweety <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 8:48*pm, tweety <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Bridging.

> > > It can be a bit confusung (I found) so I have guessed
> > > at a config - not typed it in to verify.

> > > bridge irb
> > > bridge 1 protocol ieee
> > > bridge 1 route ip

> > > ! type in again - they are order sensitive and this fixes it.
> > > bridge irb
> > > bridge 1 protocol ieee
> > > bridge 1 route ip
> > > ! check you have no errors reported

> > > int bvi 1
> > > ip address whatever.you.want *mask...

> > > int fa 0/0
> > > no ip address
> > > bridge group 1

> > > int fa 0/1
> > > no ip address
> > > bridge group 1

> > Thanks i will give it a try, so routing wise i can point a defaul
> > route to int fa0/0 etc?

> > Your a diamond for replying - Hide quoted text -

> Hi,
>
> When i use the above config i cant send a default route to e0/0
>
> int e0/0
> no ip address
> bridge-group 1
>
> int e0/1
> no ip address
> bridge-group 1
>
> int bvi1
> ip address 192.168.172.9 255.255.255.0

You will need to make the default gateway of your
internal devices the address of the ISP's router.
They will tell you what it is.

Perhaps you should really be doing NAT
on this box. I did not think beyond your
detailed request.

If you explain in detail what you are trying to do
and what you have then perhaps we can assist.

You can mangle the iP addresses that you have
if you like but leave any octets not
covered with a 255 mask alone.

e.g. 1.2.3.4 255.255.248.0

change it to something like
7.8.3.4

and keep changes consistent.

tweety

On Jan 29, 12:43*am, bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 28 Jan, 23:05, tweety <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Thanks i will give it a try, so routing wise i can point a defaul
> > > route to int fa0/0 etc?

> > > Your a diamond for replying - Hide quoted text -

> > Hi,

> > When i use the above config i cant send a default route to e0/0

> > int e0/0
> > no ip address
> > bridge-group 1

> > int e0/1
> > no ip address
> > bridge-group 1

> > int bvi1
> > ip address 192.168.172.9 255.255.255.0

> You will need to make the default gateway of your
> internal devices the address of the ISP's router.
> They will tell you what it is.
>
> Perhaps you should really be doing NAT
> on this box. I did not think beyond your
> detailed request.
>
> If you explain in detail what you are trying to do
> and what you have then perhaps we can assist.
>
> You can mangle the iP addresses that you have
> if you like but leave any octets not
> covered with a 255 mask alone.
>
> e.g. 1.2.3.4 255.255.248.0
>
> change it to something like
> 7.8.3.4
>
> and keep changes consistent.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Bod thanks for your reply,

I have a leased line from site A to site B, site A address of router
port terminating leased line is 192.168.172.5, the site B address is
lets say 10.80.80.1, this used to run via ip unnumbered on the serieal
interfaces on both routers, however the ISP have provided Fastethernet
presentation, i cannot do ip unnumbered on these interfaces. So at
site A i need fa 0/0 to be 192.168.172.5 /24 however fa 0/1 must be in
this range also as it hops traffic onto the 192.168.172.0 /24 lan
towards a firewall at 192.168.172.9.

I want traffic destined for the 10.80.80.0 /24 net to exit fa 0/0
interface and all other ( default ) traffic to exit the fa 0/1
interface towards the firewall. I need both my interfaces using the
192.168.172.5 address for lan and wan access just like when using ip
unnumbered on serial interface. Does this help?

FW 192.168.172.9<<R1 192.168.172.5 <<leased line >>R2 10.80.80.1

I appreciate any help/pointers you can give me.

Andrew

bod43

On 29 Jan, 08:25, tweety <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 12:43*am, bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Hi,

> > > When i use the above config i cant send a default route to e0/0

> > > int e0/0
> > > no ip address
> > > bridge-group 1

> > > int e0/1
> > > no ip address
> > > bridge-group 1

> > > int bvi1
> > > ip address 192.168.172.9 255.255.255.0

> > You will need to make the default gateway of your
> > internal devices the address of the ISP's router.
> > They will tell you what it is.

> > Perhaps you should really be doing NAT
> > on this box. I did not think beyond your
> > detailed request.

> > If you explain in detail what you are trying to do
> > and what you have then perhaps we can assist.

> > You can mangle the iP addresses that you have
> > if you like but leave any octets not
> > covered with a 255 mask alone.

> > e.g. 1.2.3.4 255.255.248.0

> > change it to something like
> > 7.8.3.4

> > and keep changes consistent.- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Bod thanks for your reply,
>
> I have a leased line from site A to site B, site A address of router
> port terminating leased line is 192.168.172.5, the site B address is
> lets say 10.80.80.1, this used to run via ip unnumbered on the serieal
> interfaces on both routers, however the ISP have provided Fastethernet
> presentation, i cannot do ip unnumbered on these interfaces. So at
> site A i need fa 0/0 to be 192.168.172.5 /24 however fa 0/1 must be in
> this range also as it hops traffic onto the 192.168.172.0 /24 lan
> towards a firewall at 192.168.172.9.
>
> I want traffic destined for the 10.80.80.0 /24 net to exit fa 0/0
> interface and all other ( default ) traffic to exit the fa 0/1
> interface towards the firewall. I need both my interfaces using the
> 192.168.172.5 address for lan and wan access just like when using ip
> unnumbered on serial interface. Does this help?
>
> FW 192.168.172.9<<R1 192.168.172.5 <<leased line >>R2 10.80.80.1
>
> I appreciate any help/pointers you can give me.

Forget the bridging.

Just use a new network (or subnet) for the new link.
Anything that is not is use in your network.

e.g.

10.2.3.1 255.255.255.252 for one end
10.2.3.2 255.255.255.252 for the other

You will need to change the routes too.

ip route xxxxx xxxxx next.hop.address

poori401 poori401 is offline
Junior Member

Hi all
Please can any one through a light on unnumbered pppoe implementation

i am not gettinfg a head or tail from the searches that i have made on google.
what ever i search about unnumbered pppoe it gets stopped at "ip unnumbered" of cisco IOS

the big question cant any one implement "ip unnumbereed" command on linux kernel?
I tried but failed by showing message as
"Object "unnumbered" is unknown, try "ip help"."

iam new to linux and pppoe
so
please clarify me about unnumbered pppoe

1) is there something like unnumbered pppoe server?

2) suppose i have lan interface as "eth0" and wan interface as "eth1" and "eth1" interface is directly connected to pppoe server, Then am i supposed to get ip from pppoe server as for virtual interface ppp0 ?
if yes then i have seen in google some where that ppp0 interface ip is set to etho (lan) interface. and eth1 has no ip
if no then please explain me what should i have to do to implement unnumbered pppoe.

3) iam having linux as os and my i have rppppoe ..Does these two are enough to implement unnumbered pppoe?

Ip unnumbered loopback0 AM Cisco 8 09-13-2005 05:36 PM
unnumbered for ethernet? Cen Cisco 1 08-29-2005 01:42 PM
DHCP-relay via unnumbered interfaces Arjan Cisco 0 07-20-2004 03:35 PM
IP unnumbered..in a ring? A. Andrews Cisco 5 01-19-2004 12:00 PM
unnumbered interfaces in routing information ? Evgeny Vainerman Cisco 1 01-15-2004 01:58 PM

Advertisments