Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Generic profilers?

Generic profilers?

ssylee

Inspired from the responses to my question at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....33195600597ac9
, I'm wondering if the profiler would be dependent on how I'm building
and running the application, as well as the operating system. I'm
running the C/C++ file to be generated as a mex file, used by m-file
in Matlab. However, I'm not sure if there are any generic profiler
libraries where I can just insert profiler function calls between the
function execution that I want to test out. It would be great for some
feedback. I'm not sure if I have asked my question in the wrong place.

Ian Collins

ssylee wrote:
> Inspired from the responses to my question at
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....33195600597ac9
> , I'm wondering if the profiler would be dependent on how I'm building
> and running the application, as well as the operating system. I'm
> running the C/C++ file to be generated as a mex file, used by m-file
> in Matlab. However, I'm not sure if there are any generic profiler
> libraries where I can just insert profiler function calls between the
> function execution that I want to test out. It would be great for some
> feedback. I'm not sure if I have asked my question in the wrong place.

Profilers are compiler/platform specific. Some platforms require you to
build with profiling enabled, others do not.

--
Ian Collins

Bill Cunningham

"ssylee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Inspired from the responses to my question at
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....33195600597ac9
> , I'm wondering if the profiler would be dependent on how I'm building
> and running the application, as well as the operating system. I'm
> running the C/C++ file to be generated as a mex file, used by m-file
> in Matlab. However, I'm not sure if there are any generic profiler
> libraries where I can just insert profiler function calls between the
> function execution that I want to test out. It would be great for some
> feedback. I'm not sure if I have asked my question in the wrong place.

Hi ssylee. I think comp.compilers is the group you want.

Bill

ssylee

On Jan 27, 12:08*pm, "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "ssylee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Inspired from the responses to my question at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/comp....d/thread/ac93b...
> > , I'm wondering if the profiler would be dependent on how I'm building
> > and running the application, as well as the operating system. I'm
> > running the C/C++ file to be generated as a mex file, used by m-file
> > in Matlab. However, I'm not sure if there are any generic profiler
> > libraries where I can just insert profiler function calls between the
> > function execution that I want to test out. It would be great for some
> > feedback. I'm not sure if I have asked my question in the wrong place.

> * * Hi ssylee. I think comp.compilers is the group you want.
>
> Bill

Thanks Bill. I'll post on that group then.