Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Standby/Hibernate

XP Standby/Hibernate

kentuckianatickets@gmail.com

Hello, I am trying to set my laptop to allow me to put it in standby
and hibernate. Neither of which is an option in power management. How
do I get my computer to allow these options?

Thanks,
Tyler

On Jan 27, 12:38*pm, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hello, I am trying to set my laptop to allow me to put it in standby
> > and hibernate. Neither of which is an option in power management. How
> > do I get my computer to allow these options?

> You start by telling us the make & model of your laptop and the
> operating system you are using.

Its a Compaq Presario laptop running on Windows XP Pro.

Evan Platt

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:38:32 +0000, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You start by telling us the make & model of your laptop and the
>operating system you are using.

Chucktard will be along shortly to tell the OP you cannot use
hibernate and standby on the same machine...

Keyser Söze

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:38:32 +0000, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> You start by telling us the make & model of your laptop and the
>> operating system you are using.

> Chucktard will be along shortly to tell the OP you cannot use
> hibernate and standby on the same machine...

Is that, simultaneously?

--
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
nations, and epochs it is the rule [sic]. Nietzsche

Evan Platt

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:16:16 -0500, "Keyser Söze"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is that, simultaneously?

See the thread
"Subject: how to enable hibernation on vista:

Chucktard did so much backpedalling, it's not even funny...

CT: Hibernation only applies to laptops.
Me: Really? I just put my desktop into hibernation mode.
CT: I didn't say it *couldn't* be done, just that it's inapplicable.
It's also a pointless thing to do. Now *without* changing anything,
put your desktop into standby.
ME: Umm.. no you said "Hibernation only applies to laptops." Which it
doesn't.
CT: Inapplicable is not the opposite of applies then??
CT: *no*. I said it there's no *reason* to use it on a desktop. They
don't run off batteries. Hence it only applies to pecularities of
laptops. Note that word again.
ME: Umm.. no, you didn't. "Hibernation only applies to laptops."
CT: Yeah, well the only fact here is that you're an idiot, plain and
simple.
ME: Just got a laptop with Vista installed. It had Standby and
hibernate available on it. Used both of them, works like a charm.
CT: No, you didn't.
ME: (After much arguing, sent over the ****tard independent
screenshots showing both hibernate and standby..)
CT: It's still a pointless combination.

He's a backpedalling idiot.

Keyser Söze

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:16:16 -0500, "Keyser Söze"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is that, simultaneously?

> See the thread
> "Subject: how to enable hibernation on vista:
>
> Chucktard did so much backpedalling, it's not even funny...
>
> CT: Hibernation only applies to laptops.
> Me: Really? I just put my desktop into hibernation mode.
> CT: I didn't say it *couldn't* be done, just that it's inapplicable.
> It's also a pointless thing to do. Now *without* changing anything,
> put your desktop into standby.
> ME: Umm.. no you said "Hibernation only applies to laptops." Which it
> doesn't.
> CT: Inapplicable is not the opposite of applies then??
> CT: *no*. I said it there's no *reason* to use it on a desktop. They
> don't run off batteries. Hence it only applies to pecularities of
> laptops. Note that word again.
> ME: Umm.. no, you didn't. "Hibernation only applies to laptops."
> CT: Yeah, well the only fact here is that you're an idiot, plain and
> simple.
> ME: Just got a laptop with Vista installed. It had Standby and
> hibernate available on it. Used both of them, works like a charm.
> CT: No, you didn't.
> ME: (After much arguing, sent over the ****tard independent
> screenshots showing both hibernate and standby..)
> CT: It's still a pointless combination.
>
> He's a backpedalling idiot.

pmsl - I needed that! Ta.

--
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
nations, and epochs it is the rule [sic]. Nietzsche

§ñühw¤£f

> On Jan 27, 12:38 pm, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hello, I am trying to set my laptop to allow me to put it in standby
>>> and hibernate. Neither of which is an option in power management. How
>>> do I get my computer to allow these options?

>> You start by telling us the make & model of your laptop and the
>> operating system you are using.

> Its a Compaq Presario laptop running on Windows XP Pro.

I think micro$oft might be able to klew you in...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02march25.mspx

FYI
HTH