Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > slow home network xfer speed

slow home network xfer speed

Mac

Trying to copy a 350 MB file from a PC hardwired to my router (nic is set to
10Mbps fullduplex, 100 doesnt work) to a laptop with wireless enabled. It
takes almost 20 mins which seems much too slow. AT 10Mbps I estimate it
should take approx 6 mins. Are there some settings I am missing?

Thanks

why?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:30:43 GMT, Mac wrote:

>Trying to copy a 350 MB file from a PC hardwired to my router (nic is set to
>10Mbps fullduplex, 100 doesnt work) to a laptop with wireless enabled. It

The PC-router-laptop when all cabled gives you what sort of speed?

10/FD is very unusual. Assume you mean 100/FD doesn't work.

You don't mention model of router, nic or driver versions, or the OS
just in case, or even the wireless link info.

Does the NIC have an auto / hardware default? Try that instead of a
manually fixed speed.

You know it's the wired side of the setup that's slow and not the
wireless link? The wireless link won't be 100Mbps.

>takes almost 20 mins which seems much too slow. AT 10Mbps I estimate it

10Mbps isn't what you can assume the PC/Laptop will actually transer at.
It's the max line speed of the hardwired link.

>should take approx 6 mins. Are there some settings I am missing?

The wireless link speed is also a best effort it won't run at what ever
it's max speed is either.

Depending on the OS, try ttcp / pcattcp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ttcp
http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/pcattcp.htm

iperf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iperf
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf
tutorial
http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php
A Java front end
http://code.google.com/p/xjperf/

>Thanks

Me

Mac

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:30:43 GMT, Mac wrote:
>
>>Trying to copy a 350 MB file from a PC hardwired to my router (nic is set
>>10Mbps fullduplex, 100 doesnt work) to a laptop with wireless enabled. It

> The PC-router-laptop when all cabled gives you what sort of speed?

Same as wireless 20mins+ for 350MB file

> 10/FD is very unusual. Assume you mean 100/FD doesn't work.
>
> You don't mention model of router, nic or driver versions, or the OS
> just in case, or even the wireless link info.
>
> Does the NIC have an auto / hardware default? Try that instead of a
> manually fixed speed.
>
> You know it's the wired side of the setup that's slow and not the
> wireless link? The wireless link won't be 100Mbps.

XP SP2 to XP and XP to vista both ways are all slow, Router is 2Wire
2700HG-E
Wont work on auto negotiate ....I manualy have to set to 10FD
Nic is 3C905TX pci card
wireless is 802.11G

>>takes almost 20 mins which seems much too slow. AT 10Mbps I estimate it

> 10Mbps isn't what you can assume the PC/Laptop will actually transer at.
> It's the max line speed of the hardwired link.
>
>>should take approx 6 mins. Are there some settings I am missing?

> The wireless link speed is also a best effort it won't run at what ever
> it's max speed is either.
>
> Depending on the OS, try ttcp / pcattcp
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ttcp
> http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/pcattcp.htm
>
> iperf
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iperf
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf
> tutorial
> http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php
> A Java front end
> http://code.google.com/p/xjperf/
>
>>Thanks

> Me

why?

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 04:12:50 GMT, Mac wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:30:43 GMT, Mac wrote:
>>
>>>Trying to copy a 350 MB file from a PC hardwired to my router (nic is set
>>>10Mbps fullduplex, 100 doesnt work) to a laptop with wireless enabled. It

>> The PC-router-laptop when all cabled gives you what sort of speed?

>Same as wireless 20mins+ for 350MB file

So the laptop is also then 10FD when wired to the router. That isn';t
going to help at all.

>> 10/FD is very unusual. Assume you mean 100/FD doesn't work.
>>
>> You don't mention model of router, nic or driver versions, or the OS
>> just in case, or even the wireless link info.
>>
>> Does the NIC have an auto / hardware default? Try that instead of a
>> manually fixed speed.
>>
>> You know it's the wired side of the setup that's slow and not the
>> wireless link? The wireless link won't be 100Mbps.

>XP SP2 to XP and XP to vista both ways are all slow, Router is 2Wire
>2700HG-E

Don't know those models well never had problems , 2wire is what BT
use here for ADSL and with 5 on site, only 1 psu has failed. They just
sit there working.

http://www.2wire.com/index.php?p=106
Doesn't list a 2700, there is a 2701HG-E

Support search has 2700/270 series guides.

>Wont work on auto negotiate ....I manualy have to set to 10FD
>Nic is 3C905TX pci card

I have had some drivers for those do odd things, especially on a WAN
link monitor. A 16 port dual speed 10/100 FD/HD hub. 2 connections
manually fixed at 100/FD and the PC with 905TX set to 100/FD was
introducing errors on the WAN port.

The PC was Win 2000 SP4 and the 3Com drivers had few options and were 4
or 5 years old, the newest at 3Com as well as being unsupported due to
age.

I had to remove that PC, however others I have with 905TX's PCI have to
be set to hardware default IIRC, not even Auto Detect worked all the
time. That is to Cisco and Avaya switches. Manual settings speeds seemed
to confuse the switch port autodetection.

I did have a 3C905C-TX-M PCI at home and oddly enough never a problem
with that one for years.

Get hold of another nic to try, they are so cheap nowdays it's worth
doing.

Even if you could borrow a 4 port switch and try a file transfer. Say
something like -

2wire -> uplink port on switch and the PC/laptop wired into the switch
so you aren't using the 2wire LAN ports for transfer.

>wireless is 802.11G

User guide for 2wire says on pg 6 it's 10/100. Nothing about an option
to set the values, so you are relying on the auto detection of the link
speed working.

There is a page for viewing, Local Network - Statistics Page you may
want to see if the ethernet errors is 0 or clocking up as you transfer a
file.

>>>takes almost 20 mins which seems much too slow. AT 10Mbps I estimate it

>> 10Mbps isn't what you can assume the PC/Laptop will actually transer at.
>> It's the max line speed of the hardwired link.
>>
>>>should take approx 6 mins. Are there some settings I am missing?

>> The wireless link speed is also a best effort it won't run at what ever
>> it's max speed is either.
>>
>> Depending on the OS, try ttcp / pcattcp

<snip links>

Try the iperf tests, these actually allow you to say push 100Mbps / 10
Mbps to see what you really are getting over the link.

Me