Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > And now for something COMPLETELY different...

And now for something COMPLETELY different...

thanatoid

Hi gang,

About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an ad.

I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.

It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO much work
to turn on the scanner...)

Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few moments.

///WTF is the fourth one?///

In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces and
post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you can tell
me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3 I can see so as
not to influence/wreck the results.

--
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
Anais Nin

Keyser Söze

thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Hi gang,
>
> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an ad.
>
> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
>
> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO much work
> to turn on the scanner...)
>
> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few moments.
>
> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
>
> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces and
> post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you can tell
> me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3 I can see so as
> not to influence/wreck the results.

'Negative' view may reveal all.

--
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
nations, and epochs it is the rule [sic]. Nietzsche

Keyser Söze

philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Keyser Söze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) mus.Corpus.edimus...
>> thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hi gang,
>>>
>>> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an ad.
>>>
>>> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
>>>
>>> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO much work
>>> to turn on the scanner...)
>>>
>>> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few moments.
>>>
>>> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
>>>
>>> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces and
>>> post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you can tell
>>> me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3 I can see so as
>>> not to influence/wreck the results.

>> 'Negative' view may reveal all.
>>

> Didn't need a negative space image,
> all the faces were in the rocks,
> just one was large and in the foreground
> so easy to miss

I don't know about that as I couldn't gain access to the image, but that
doesn't matter now.

About forty years ago, I visited a family friend whose father had an
'original' painting of a similar ilk - to the best of my recollection the
subject matter was of naked African ladies (but I could be wrong, and that
may just be wishful thinking) but that the ladies were painted in such a way
it wasn't altogether obvious how many there were.

Now, there were supposed to be fourteen of them, or perhaps rather 'faces'
to be found - needless to say, after many visits and viewings of the
painting I never did spot them 'all'.

It's fair to say though, when such an image is created, only the artist or
those close to the artist may ever know the true number of, 'faces' in that
instance, there actually are; so in essence one could be chasing one's tail
for those that may never actually exist [wait a minute, I've experienced
that somewhere else before].

--
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
nations, and epochs it is the rule [sic]. Nietzsche

Keyser Söze

Lookout <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:53:03 -0500, "Keyser Söze"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hi gang,
>>>
>>> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an ad.
>>>
>>> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
>>>
>>> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO much work
>>> to turn on the scanner...)
>>>
>>> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few moments.
>>>
>>> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
>>>
>>> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces and
>>> post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you can tell
>>> me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3 I can see so as
>>> not to influence/wreck the results.

>> 'Negative' view may reveal all.

> Actually printing it in B\W does the trick.
> I posted it in the gogo group.

I looked but I didn't see.

--
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
nations, and epochs it is the rule [sic]. Nietzsche

richard

On 27 Jan 2009 08:15:38 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi gang,
>
>About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an ad.
>
>I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
>
>It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO much work
>to turn on the scanner...)
>
>Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few moments.
>
>///WTF is the fourth one?///
>
>In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces and
>post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you can tell
>me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3 I can see so as
>not to influence/wreck the results.

I am assuming the 4th face you question is the one hidden in the
shadows. You can barely make out the mouth and nose.

coordinates:
1) G4 in foreground on back.
2) D8 upper right corner
3) D2 maybe a little tricky to see right off.
4) E6 I can make out the left eye, nose and mouth.

thanatoid

"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an
>> ad.
>>
>> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
>>
>> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO
>> much work to turn on the scanner...)
>>
>> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few
>> moments.
>>
>> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
>>
>> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces
>> and post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you
>> can tell me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3
>> I can see so as not to influence/wreck the results.
>>

> Maybe you missed to large , brown, face in the foreground?

The one with the chest attached to it, lying down? No I didn't.

I guess I did not make my post clear. Tell me where the F O U R
faces are. I can find 3, but my 3 may not be your 3, although my
1 is almost bound to be ONE of yours.

--
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
Anais Nin

thanatoid

"Keyser Söze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) mus.Corpus.e
dimus:

> thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an
>> ad.
>>
>> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
>>
>> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO
>> much work to turn on the scanner...)
>>
>> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few
>> moments.
>>
>> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
>>
>> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces
>> and post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you
>> can tell me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3
>> I can see so as not to influence/wreck the results.

> 'Negative' view may reveal all.

It hid one of the 3 I saw before. Not a bad idea, though.

--
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
Anais Nin

thanatoid

"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Keyser Söze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) mus.Corpus
> .edimus...
>> thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hi gang,
>>>
>>> About 4.5 years ago an inkjet printer manufacturer ran an
>>> ad.
>>>
>>> I have posted it in alt.binaries.test.gogo, 4faces.jpg.
>>>
>>> It has been driving me insane ever since. (But it's SO
>>> much work to turn on the scanner...)
>>>
>>> Two faces are instantly visible. The third took a few
>>> moments.
>>>
>>> ///WTF is the fourth one?///
>>>
>>> In case you don't have the capability to circle the faces
>>> and post the new image, I am supplying coordinates so you
>>> can tell me where the 4 faces are. I am not marking the 3
>>> I can see so as not to influence/wreck the results.

>> 'Negative' view may reveal all.
>>

> Didn't need a negative space image,
> all the faces were in the rocks,
> just one was large and in the foreground
> so easy to miss

The company CLAIMS all 4 faces are in the rocks. A blind person
would see the huge-ass one on the bottom. I am waiting for
someone to tell me where all FOUR are.

--
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
Anais Nin

thanatoid

"Keyser Söze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) mus.Corpus.e
dimus:

<SNIP>

> I don't know about that as I couldn't gain access to the
> image, but that doesn't matter now.
>
> About forty years ago, I visited a family friend whose
> father had an 'original' painting of a similar ilk - to the
> best of my recollection the subject matter was of naked
> African ladies (but I could be wrong, and that may just be
> wishful thinking) but that the ladies were painted in such
> a way it wasn't altogether obvious how many there were.
>
> Now, there were supposed to be fourteen of them, or perhaps
> rather 'faces' to be found - needless to say, after many
> visits and viewings of the painting I never did spot them
> 'all'.
>
> It's fair to say though, when such an image is created,
> only the artist or those close to the artist may ever know
> the true number of, 'faces' in that instance, there
> actually are; so in essence one could be chasing one's tail
> for those that may never actually exist [wait a minute,
> I've experienced that somewhere else before].

We've all seen such trick drawings/paintings. Surely EVERYONE
has seen the one where a bearded man's face {not unlike Fraud's,
excuse me, Freud's) is a sprawling naked woman.

This is an AD supposed to prove the (of course more than
debatable) superiority of a product. So the damn 4 faces better
be there, AND for all morons to see! I am NOT a complete moron,
I have looked at the ****ing image for 4.5 years (on and off)
and while I DO see something which COULD be a 4th face is quite
distorted and hardly visible and I would like another opinion
but I can't tell you what 3 (or 4) I see first so as not to
influence you.

Sigh.

--
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
Anais Nin

thanatoid

Lookout <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Actually printing it in B\W does the trick.
> I posted it in the gogo group.

Going there now, full of hope. The replies so far have been MOST
disappointing.

(...)

OK, FINALLY. Yes, the one in the middle, vertical, dark,
distorted, is what after about 3.5 years I decided MIGHT be the
fourth face but I was not sure. Apparently you concur. Good eye
- it took /me/ 3.5 years to find it.

Thank you.

P.S. Nice pointers.
P.P.S. It never occurred to me to print it, but I'll convert it
to gray now.

--
"We don't see faces as they are, we see things as Epson do."
Ana Non