Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 851W- Terminal has funny Characters

Reply
Thread Tools

Cisco 851W- Terminal has funny Characters

 
 
mousemen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2009
Have a Cisco 851W on which when I try to log in via the console gets
funny characters.

]{----------------------------------~ۿ{o
wط7n&+
K+FC+s+kFKk+V+#o{ww{w3{ w++
+c3^֘X[+6C

s
;+ۻsoo{oo

username <myuser> privilegez;u{e}mo[

{#{v

sF{
V+s

w{ҷls6Ks6{k{v{{6 #k
--*_۽
[n[k+K_]
{-----?__koo{{W{o_wWo?

I have never seen this, Any ideas. I'm using teraterm for my session
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JF Mezei
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2009
Trendkill wrote:
> On Jan 26, 9:29 pm, mousemen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Have a Cisco 851W on which when I try to log in via the console gets
>> funny characters.
>>
>> ]{----------------------------------~ۿ{o



While the improper RS232 settings are the most likely culprit, I have
had a switch that started off properly, but once it got warmed up, would
start spewing gibberish out the serial port like your example and
became dysfunctional (not switching ethernet traffic anymore).
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mousemen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2009
On Jan 27, 9:36*am, JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Trendkill wrote:
> > On Jan 26, 9:29 pm, mousemen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Have a Cisco 851W on which when I try to log in via the console gets
> >> funny characters.

>
> >> ]{----------------------------------~ۿ{o

>
> While the improper RS232 settings are the most likely culprit, I have
> had a switch that started off properly, but once it got warmed up, would
> *start spewing gibberish out the serial port like your example and
> became dysfunctional (not switching ethernet traffic anymore).


The settings should be correct as it works without issue on a pix501
and 1705 router.I also verified them. I pushed the reset switch on
back during power up as per another post I read but didnt work. Before
the green OK light would just flash now the only thing on is the green
ON light. So should I assume this router has had its day. Not sure how
else to reset it considering you can't hit Ctrl+Break during boot-up
as the characters are wacked. Periodically it did come up with the
username/password login at the console. I could run a command but the
output was not legible.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Trendkill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2009
On Jan 27, 4:55*pm, mousemen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 27, 9:36*am, JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Trendkill wrote:
> > > On Jan 26, 9:29 pm, mousemen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >> Have a Cisco 851W on which when I try to log in via the console gets
> > >> funny characters.

>
> > >> ]{----------------------------------~ۿ{o

>
> > While the improper RS232 settings are the most likely culprit, I have
> > had a switch that started off properly, but once it got warmed up, would
> > *start spewing gibberish out the serial port like your example and
> > became dysfunctional (not switching ethernet traffic anymore).

>
> The settings should be correct as it works without issue on a pix501
> and 1705 router.I also verified them. I pushed the reset switch on
> back during power up as per another post I read but didnt work. Before
> the green OK light would just flash now the only thing on is the green
> ON light. So should I assume this router has had its day. Not sure how
> else to reset it considering you can't hit Ctrl+Break during boot-up
> as the characters are wacked. Periodically it did come up with the
> username/password login at the console. I could run a command but the
> output was not legible.


You should not assume the settings are correct. While they may be
right for a factory device, it is possible that someone changed them
on this particular device, which means you need to test the various
speeds on the PC side to see if you can get one of them to work. I
know, its a pain, but definitely worth it before throwing the thing
out. Both sides have to match, and if you can't change one side, you
just have to try trial and error.
 
Reply With Quote
 
franklin.estes@gmail.com franklin.estes@gmail.com is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
 
      03-06-2009
I had the same problem recently and the trouble was a speed mismatch between my router andhyperterminal. I resolved it by changing the speeds on hyperterminal and restarting the router until I found the speed that matched. The problem was the terminal speed on the router was set to 56k. Once I set up hyperterminal for 56k I got into the router and changed the speed to 9600. I hope this helps.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
v = vte.Terminal() AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Terminal' Steve Python 2 12-07-2010 05:48 PM
open a new terminal window from another terminal window in linux/unixsystem gaurav kashyap Python 3 10-31-2008 12:10 PM
OT: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny The Rev [MCT] MCSE 42 05-31-2005 10:42 PM



Advertisments