Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Flash drive cuts out

Flash drive cuts out

Jim S

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:

> Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:1owkefruy5h12$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
>> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
>> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
>> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of CD/USB
>> catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check what has been
>> copied I find in both cases that they have saved thumbnails od the first
>> 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the tell me the catalog is
>> complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the disk half-way and I
>> have to remove and replace it. This does not happen while accessing the
>> files normally.
>> Any ideas?
>> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

> Sounds like it *might* be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer, writes
> the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the properties of
> the drive in device manager, what choices do you have under settings?
> "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's there. Removable
> should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying only *one* folder and
> see if it finishes that.
>
> What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

If it's any clue. When I copy the files back to my desktop its stops every
now and then and asks me to ' try again ' - which seems to work ok - except
the autoplay box opens each time and needs to be closed.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Keyser Söze

Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:
>
>> Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:1owkefruy5h12$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
>>> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
>>> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
>>> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of
>>> CD/USB catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check
>>> what has been copied I find in both cases that they have saved
>>> thumbnails od the first 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical
>>> order the tell me the catalog is complete. Sometimes it is as if I
>>> had removed the disk half-way and I have to remove and replace it.
>>> This does not happen while accessing the files normally.
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

>> Sounds like it might be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer,
>> writes the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the
>> properties of the drive in device manager, what choices do you have
>> under settings? "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's
>> there. Removable should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying
>> only one folder and see if it finishes that.
>>
>> What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

> If it's any clue. When I copy the files back to my desktop its stops
> every now and then and asks me to ' try again ' - which seems to work
> ok - except the autoplay box opens each time and needs to be closed.

Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers>USB root
hub>Properties>Power Management Tab>'Uncheck' Allow the computer to turn off
this device to save power...

.... Possibly.

--
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
nations, and epochs it is the rule [sic]. Nietzsche

Jim S

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:13:57 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

> Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:
>>
>>> Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:1owkefruy5h12$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Sounds like it might be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer,
>>> writes the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the
>>> properties of the drive in device manager, what choices do you have
>>> under settings? "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's
>>> there. Removable should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying
>>> only one folder and see if it finishes that.
>>>
>>> What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

>> If it's any clue. When I copy the files back to my desktop its stops
>> every now and then and asks me to ' try again ' - which seems to work
>> ok - except the autoplay box opens each time and needs to be closed.

> Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers>USB root
> hub>Properties>Power Management Tab>'Uncheck' Allow the computer to turn off
> this device to save power...
>
> ... Possibly.

No difference.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

chuckcar

Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:
>
>> Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:1owkefruy5h12$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
>>> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
>>> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
>>> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of
>>> CD/USB catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check what
>>> has been copied I find in both cases that they have saved thumbnails
>>> od the first 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the tell me
>>> the catalog is complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the disk
>>> half-way and I have to remove and replace it. This does not happen
>>> while accessing the files normally.
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

>> Sounds like it *might* be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer, writes
>> the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the properties
>> of the drive in device manager, what choices do you have under
>> settings? "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's there.
>> Removable should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying only *one*
>> folder and see if it finishes that.
>>
>> What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

> If it's any clue. When I copy the files back to my desktop its stops
> every now and then and asks me to ' try again ' - which seems to work ok
> - except the autoplay box opens each time and needs to be closed.

Sure sounds like the device has corrupted data. Try to grab what you can
and format it. Might also be a "Monday/Friday drive"<G>.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:49:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:
>
>> Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:1owkefruy5h12$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I have a couple of 4Gb flash drives (Easy Disk).
>>> They contain lots of my photos as a backup in case my HDD fails.
>>> Accessing the files directly is no problem.
>>> However if I try to save the details as thumbnails to a couple of
>>> CD/USB catalog programs they get so far then stop. When I check what
>>> has been copied I find in both cases that they have saved thumbnails
>>> od the first 5 or 6 folders in reverse alphabetical order the tell me
>>> the catalog is complete. Sometimes it is as if I had removed the disk
>>> half-way and I have to remove and replace it. This does not happen
>>> while accessing the files normally.
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Pc XP pro with plenty disc space and memory.

>> Sounds like it *might* be a buffer problem: it fills the buffer, writes
>> the files in it and then doesn't repeat. If you bring up the properties
>> of the drive in device manager, what choices do you have under
>> settings? "Sync data transfer" might be worth enabling if it's there.
>> Removable should be checkmarked obviously. Also try copying only *one*
>> folder and see if it finishes that.
>>
>> What file system is your hard drive formatted to? NTFS or FAT32?

> The only options are General-Policies-Driver-Details
> The only options are in Policies and using Optimise for quick release or
> Optimise for performance does not seem to make ant difference.
> The HDD uses NTFS - the flash drive uses FAT32

Hmm. I was thinking perhaps the reverse and you were running into the
maximum number of directory entries allowed in FAT32.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )