Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Professional

XP Professional

Emrys Davies

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gllbnm$eoc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Emrys Davies wrote:

> >> Is this a laptop or a desktop?

> > It is a desktop
> >>
> >> Dumb question - have you pressed delete?

> > Not so dumb, she had pressed delete but now when she presses it it
> > says "Enter Password" and she has no password as the tv is a gift
> > and was not new.
> >>
> >> If so, try a different keyboard. This is the BIOS screen. Try a
> >> known, working keyboard.

> > A working keyboard does not solve the problem.

> Ask the prior owner of this "used" computer (and *not* TV) for the
> password. Then go into the BIOS again to either change it to

something
> your daughter will remember or remove it. The BIOS has a password
> enabled. You have to enter it to get further. Alternatively, remove
> the side panel of the case and short the 2-pin CMOS Clear header with

> jumper for about 10 seconds. This will clear out the CMOS; however,

it
> will reset all customized settings back to the EEPROM defaults. If the
> CMOS clear header is not clearly marked then read the manual to find

it.
> If you didn't get a manual, go online to the motherboard or pre-built
> computer maker's web site to see if they have one.
>
> What was the reason your daughter couldn't contact the prior owner of
> this used desktop for help on how THEY had set it up?

My daughter was given this twelve month old computer desktop and now
that she knows of the password problem she will try and find out the
password from the previous owner. In the meantime, thanks to everyone
for being so helpful.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Buffalo

Evan Platt wrote:
[snip]

> "I think your address is missing a letter, it should be
> bex43@********** not co.uk."
>
> I told you to create a new Start Shortcut. Pretty basic. You asked
> how.

Is that actually someone's real email addy that you just spread though the
Usenet, or is it a phoney and just an example?

Dan C

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:22:00 +0000, Emrys Davies wrote:

> My daughter has a XP Professional with a blue screen which is absolutely
> static and will not respond in any way.

HAR! ROFL!

> Any ideas please.

Format the hard drive and install Linux.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:08:36 -0700, "Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is that actually someone's real email addy that you just spread though the
>Usenet, or is it a phoney and just an example?

It's from a post from a few months ago..... I've not seen any spam
from putting an e-mail address in the body of a message. Done some
serious testing.

Aardvark

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:08:36 -0700, Buffalo wrote:

> Evan Platt wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> "I think your address is missing a letter, it should be
>> bex43@********** not co.uk."
>>
>> I told you to create a new Start Shortcut. Pretty basic. You asked how.

> Is that actually someone's real email addy that you just spread though
> the Usenet, or is it a phoney and just an example?

It can't be a real addy. There is no such thing as hotmail dot COM dot
UK. Or ANYTHING dot com dot UK, for that matter.

Evan Platt

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 03:21:03 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>It can't be a real addy. There is no such thing as hotmail dot COM dot
>UK. Or ANYTHING dot com dot UK, for that matter.

Err yeah... Good point.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> What was the reason your daughter couldn't contact the prior owner of
>> this used desktop for help on how THEY had set it up?

>My daughter was given this twelve month old computer desktop and now
>that she knows of the password problem she will try and find out the
>password from the previous owner. In the meantime, thanks to everyone
>for being so helpful.

Find the Bios and touch the power pin to the ground pin
http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html

It will clear the BIOS, so have a flash upgrade available.

FWIW: I have a corrupt BIOS on one of my machines, I'm going to have
to do the same myself pretty soon.
--

More signs
http://eightsolid.com/24-very-strange-funny-signs/

sandy58

On Jan 26, 7:22*pm, "Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My daughter has a XP Professional with a blue screen which is absolutely
> static and will not respond in any way.
>
> The screen contains the following words:
>
> Asus P4PE2-X
>
> Intel
> Inside
> Pentium 4
>
> Press delete to run set-up
>
> Any ideas please.
>
> Regards,
> Emry Davies.

Emrys Davies
Ian Galbraith
White Lady
Joe Feise.........whoever, by this time you will have realized that
you have stirred up the original "Idiot's Ant Farm". I bet you wished
you'd taken up acapuncture or some other game.
Take your problem to a pc shop. At least you can smack whoever in the
face.

Buffalo

> "Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> What was the reason your daughter couldn't contact the prior owner
>>> of this used desktop for help on how THEY had set it up?

>> My daughter was given this twelve month old computer desktop and now
>> that she knows of the password problem she will try and find out the
>> password from the previous owner. In the meantime, thanks to
>> everyone for being so helpful.

> Find the Bios and touch the power pin to the ground pin
> http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html
>
> It will clear the BIOS, so have a flash upgrade available.
>
> FWIW: I have a corrupt BIOS on one of my machines, I'm going to have
> to do the same myself pretty soon.

Shorting out those pins merely resets the BIOS, it doesn't erase it AFAIK.
You can also just reomove the MB battery for an hour or so and it will do
the same.

Emrys Davies

"Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gln7j1$jsk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> My daughter was given this twelve month old computer desktop and

now
> >> that she knows of the password problem she will try and find out

the
> >> password from the previous owner. In the meantime, thanks to
> >> everyone for being so helpful.

> > Find the Bios and touch the power pin to the ground pin
> > http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html
> >
> > It will clear the BIOS, so have a flash upgrade available.
> >
> > FWIW: I have a corrupt BIOS on one of my machines, I'm going to have
> > to do the same myself pretty soon.

> Shorting out those pins merely resets the BIOS, it doesn't erase it

AFAIK.
> You can also just reomove the MB battery for an hour or so and it will

do
> the same.

My daughter will be away until the weekend and she will then be able to
use the knowledge which you have all contributed, but in the meantime
can anyone explain why the computer performed perfectly since she
received it about a month ago without asking for a password and now it
has suddenly decided to ask for the password, as outlined in my initial
post.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.