Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Torrent speeds on Actrix?

Torrent speeds on Actrix?

Lodi

>On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:43:05 -0800, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Has anyone noticed a major slow-down with torrents? For the last two day
> I'm lucky to get 10kB/sec on *any* torrent (or torrents), regardless of
> seeds:leecher ratio or tracker, whereas, when I test my speed at a
> speedtest page I'm getting 400kB/sec and webpages are loading as fast as
> normal.
>
> Cheers,

Not that I'm admitting to downloading torrents (because that's illegal)
but if I were to have been downloading torrents over the last few days
it's possible that their speeds may have been pretty much how they've
always been. Anywhere between 10kB/s and 120kB/s.

If I were downloading TV programmes via the eztv trackers I'd possibly be
getting the usual 500MB-ish during the day, 1GB-ish over night.

Actrix Go Large here in the sunny Hawke's Bay.

Regards
Lodi (not admitting to having done anything..... ever)

Lodi

>On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:43:05 -0800, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Has anyone noticed a major slow-down with torrents? For the last two day
> I'm lucky to get 10kB/sec on *any* torrent (or torrents), regardless of
> seeds:leecher ratio or tracker, whereas, when I test my speed at a
> speedtest page I'm getting 400kB/sec and webpages are loading as fast as
> normal.
>
> Cheers,

Not that I'm admitting to downloading torrents (because that's illegal)
but if I were to have been downloading torrents over the last few days
it's possible that their speeds may have been pretty much how they've
always been. Anywhere between 10kB/s and 120kB/s.

If I were downloading TV programmes via the eztv trackers I'd possibly be
getting the usual 500MB-ish during the day, 1GB-ish over night.

Actrix Go Large here in the sunny Hawke's Bay.

Regards
Lodi (not admitting to having done anything..... ever)

Lodi

>On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:43:05 -0800, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Has anyone noticed a major slow-down with torrents? For the last two day
> I'm lucky to get 10kB/sec on *any* torrent (or torrents), regardless of
> seeds:leecher ratio or tracker, whereas, when I test my speed at a
> speedtest page I'm getting 400kB/sec and webpages are loading as fast as
> normal.
>
> Cheers,

Not that I'm admitting to downloading torrents (because that's illegal)
but if I were to have been downloading torrents over the last few days
it's possible that their speeds may have been pretty much how they've
always been. Anywhere between 10kB/s and 120kB/s.

If I were downloading TV programmes via the eztv trackers I'd possibly be
getting the usual 500MB-ish during the day, 1GB-ish over night.

Actrix Go Large here in the sunny Hawke's Bay.

Regards
Lodi (not admitting to having done anything..... ever)

Lodi

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:29:48 +0000, Lodi wrote:

Oooops.....anyone having problems with multiple posts via aioe? Or have I
mis-configured Pan

Sorry folks
Lodi

Lodi

>On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:45:22 +1300, Puddle wrote:

>> Lodi wrote:
>>> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:43:05 -0800, ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> Has anyone noticed a major slow-down with torrents? For the last two
>>> day I'm lucky to get 10kB/sec on *any* torrent (or torrents),
>>> regardless of seeds:leecher ratio or tracker, whereas, when I test my
>>> speed at a speedtest page I'm getting 400kB/sec and webpages are
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>> Not that I'm admitting to downloading torrents (because that's illegal)
>> but if I were to have been downloading torrents over the last few days
>> it's possible that their speeds may have been pretty much how they've
>> always been. Anywhere between 10kB/s and 120kB/s.
>>
>> If I were downloading TV programmes via the eztv trackers I'd possibly
>> be getting the usual 500MB-ish during the day, 1GB-ish over night.
>>
>> Actrix Go Large here in the sunny Hawke's Bay.
>>
>> Regards
>> Lodi (not admitting to having done anything..... ever)
>>

> What are you talking about? Torrents are _not_ illegal. Torrents are
> just a way of distributing files. Plenty of perfectly legal material is
> distributed by torrents.

It doesn't matter cos I didn't do anything....but theoretically if I did
it would be a tv programme I would have been downloading courtesy of the
eztv torrent file. And although I'm well aware that downloading the
torrent file itself is legal it doesn't take much brainpower to figure
out that my intention is to download the latest episode of House/NCIS/CSI/
whatever.

Do I feel remorse at watching TV programmes months or years before they
arrive on TVNZ......nope.

Do I really believe that some (to me) nebulous TV production company may
not make a sale to TVNZ because I've already watched the programme via
torrent......nope.

It's a common argument but the law is lagging so far behind current
technology and, more importantly, practice that I would have to be
incredibly unfortunate for the owners of NCIS (Sony?) to track me down
and successfully prosecute me. Out of the hundreds of thousands
(millions?) of torrenters who grabbed last weeks shows.

Agreed that what I (theoretically) did was illegal but so is crossing the
road before the little red man turns green at the traffic lights and
usually I just blow by that little man whenever I feel like it. I'm a law-
breaker but do you seriously expect the law to come after me for that.

Regards
Lodi

Rob S

~misfit~ wrote:

> [1] Top Gear has an actual average running time in the UK of ~61 minutes. By
> the time it gets here we get ~44 minutes, interspersed with moronic ads
> aimed at the lowest common denominator.

So with ads, total running time would be at least 70 minutes? It would
make programming a pita.

--
Rob
Geek by nature, Linux by choice!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gllaeg$m3m$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lodi wrote:

> And although I'm well aware that downloading the torrent file itself is
> legal ...

That's not the issue. The issue is that BitTorrent is capable of substantial
noninfringing uses, as those of us who make heavy use of Free software are
well aware.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gllfvu$3l6$(E-Mail Removed)>, ~misfit~ wrote:

> A typical "1 hour" programme on a commercial channel is in fact 43
> minutes ...

Varies. I've seen anything from 41 minutes up to 46, sometimes more.

Cima

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:11:07 -0800, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rob S wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>

>>> [1] Top Gear has an actual average running time in the UK of ~61
>>> minutes. By the time it gets here we get ~44 minutes, interspersed
>>> with moronic ads aimed at the lowest common denominator.
>>>

>> So with ads, total running time would be at least 70 minutes? It
>> would make programming a pita.

>I think it runs on BBC1, no ads, at least last I knew.
>
>Oh, and it would be more than 70 minutes. A typical "1 hour" programme on a
>commercial channel is in fact 43 minutes so that's 17 minutes of ads to the
>hour. If we got to see *all* of Top Gear it would have to be put into a 90
>minute timeslot.

It's interesting to note how programs have gotten shorter over the years. I'm
working my way through some retro 60s/70s US/UK TV shows and all run 50-52
minutes. 8-10 mins of ads per hour I could live with, unlike what we're
bombarded with these days!

Lodi

>On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:50:10 +1300, Puddle wrote:

> Well with the new laws coming into NZ who knows They may indeed come
> after you or at least cut your internet conncetion off..

Of late I've wondered what I would do if Actrix sent me a letter
threatening to disconnect me if I don't stop torrenting, IRC'ing and
using aMule (the three primary file downloading methods I would be using
if I were downloading copywritten material without the copyright owners
permission which I'm not doing anyway)

I'm pretty sure I'd leave Actrix in a heartbeat and find some less high-
minded ISP. Actrix may well be doing right by Sony/Warner/NewsCorp etc
but they can't expect me to uphold their principles if it means I don't
get to see the latest episode of Heroes. Especially when 89,582 other
people have downloaded it and are already watching and commenting on it.

Pretty simple really. On the net it's me me me and right now.

Regards
Lodi...who is able to distinguish between net-life and real life...usually