Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why cant they close down all P2P Sites..?

Why cant they close down all P2P Sites..?

Gordon

On 2009-01-25, Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 04:48:22 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Not quite.

> You do need some way to get in touch in the first place with the other
> BitTorrent clients that have the file. That is normally done via a
> central tracker. But anyone can run a tracker if they want to, and
> have enough bandwidth.

The tracker needs SFA bandwidth. All it doing is telling one who has what
you need and vica verca. The tracker shifts none of the file as such.

Gordon

On 2009-01-25, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter M wrote:
>
>> What about all these other sites like Bearshare, Limewire, Shareaza,
>> E-Donkey
>> ( kazaa ) and some othere that I have heard off that I can't remember the
>> names off..

> What about them?

Hey! Lawerence, been asleep?

The point is that these are also illegaly download sites maybe yes

EMB

Gordon wrote:
> On 2009-01-24, Peter M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> They closed down Napster buy why not the others,
>> or is it that can make more money by suing people..?
>>

> Troll or ignorant?

Roger Sheppard. 'nuff said.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:

> On 2009-01-25, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter M wrote:
>>
>>> What about all these other sites like Bearshare, Limewire, Shareaza,
>>> E-Donkey
>>> ( kazaa ) and some othere that I have heard off that I can't remember
>>> the names off..

>> What about them?

> Hey! Lawerence, been asleep?
>
> The point is that these are also illegaly download sites maybe yes

And?

Carnations

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 05:31:02 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> You do need some way to get in touch in the first place with the other
> BitTorrent clients that have the file. That is normally done via a
> central tracker. But anyone can run a tracker if they want to, and have
> enough bandwidth.

Azureus uses the Bit Torrent protocol, and does not need a centralised
tracker. It uses a distributed hash table.

All you need at the beginning is a web page with a clickable link and
your copy of Azureus can take care of all the rest.

Stephen Worthington

On 25 Jan 2009 08:27:26 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2009-01-25, Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 04:48:22 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You do need some way to get in touch in the first place with the other
>> BitTorrent clients that have the file. That is normally done via a
>> central tracker. But anyone can run a tracker if they want to, and
>> have enough bandwidth.

>The tracker needs SFA bandwidth. All it doing is telling one who has what
>you need and vica verca. The tracker shifts none of the file as such.

It depends on how many clients are using the tracker. Azureus often
tells me that I am part of a cloud of more than a million users. It
adds up.

Carnations

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:36:02 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> It depends on how many clients are using the tracker. Azureus often
> tells me that I am part of a cloud of more than a million users. It
> adds up.

But surely those million users aren't all using the same tracker.

oneofus

Carnations wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:32:14 +1300, oneofus wrote:
>
>>> Bit Torrent is a protocol that is not dependent on a centralised site.
>>>
>>> It is the perfect decentralised file transfer protocol.

>> Not quite.

> Would you care to elaborate further on that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorr...ulnerabilities

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> P2P doesn't imply any laws a being broken. I have legally downloaded many
> files from P2P sites.

Doesn't prevent ISPs from being pressured into clamping down on it, though.

Another issue is that P2P can easily become a major bandwidth hog.

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:54:48 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:36:02 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> It depends on how many clients are using the tracker. Azureus often
>> tells me that I am part of a cloud of more than a million users. It
>> adds up.

>But surely those million users aren't all using the same tracker.

Yes, as far as I can tell.