Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Webcam help needed

Re: Webcam help needed

Paul

Kayla wrote:
> I have an HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop with a webcam. I have never had
> the urge to use it but last night my son called me on Skype and it was
> great seeing him on Video and wanted it also. I was using my
> headphones. I went to Programs and clicked on Webcam and the only
> option is "uninstall"
> I have searched through programs and can't find any help. Could
> someone please.
>
> Lori

Are you sure a webcam is included on your model of DV9000 ?
One document I looked at on the HP web site, said the
camera was optional and present on certain models (without
going into details). There could be more than one model of
DV9000 for sale.

I found a driver here.

Driver
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...1842189&os=228

The driver mentions Ricoh 5U870, which is presumably the
webcam if present. You could check Device Manager, to see
if something like that is present or not.

The enumeration of the webcam is USB\VID_05CA&PID_1870.

You can check for the presence of USB devices, such as
that video camera, with tools like UVCView. Each device
will have its own unique enumeration numbers.

This program originated on the Microsoft site, but is
no longer offered for download. There are two sites
that have archive copies. web.archive.org also has a
copy, but the copy is damaged (the last byte of
each archived copy is missing, and it is too complicated
to tell people how to fix it). I include the MD5SUM
information below, so people can compare to the
sum check on any other copies they happen to find.

So the purpose of downloading this tool, is to check
for the presence of a device with "VID_05CA PID_1870",
to see if there is any point fighting with drivers
and so on. In this example screen display, you can see
a device with "idVendor" field, and "idProduct" field.
Those fields correspond to VID and PID.

http://www.die.de/blog/content/binary/usbview.png

*******
ftp://ftp.efo.ru/pub/ftdichip/Utilities/UVCView.x86.exe
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...VCView.x86.exe

File size is 167,232 bytes.
MD5sum is 93244d84d79314898e62d21cecc4ca5e

This is a picture of what the UVCView info looks like.

http://www.die.de/blog/content/binary/usbview.png

Some information on the parameters seen in UVCView.

http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb5.htm
*******

If you see a device matching that VID and PID, that
means that particular webcam (Ricoh 5U870) is present.
Then you can try installing the driver from HP. The HP site
has downloads for their computers, and that is where you'd
go to find a driver. The link I provided above, is my best
guess. But by entering your own detailed product information,
you could well end up on a different driver page than the
one I used. Some computer companies have been known to
use more than one webcam, and that can complicate the
process of finding or adding a driver.

If you end up seeing some other value of VID and PID,
the USB devices known about are listed here.

http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/usb.ids

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Kayla wrote:
>> Are you sure a webcam is included on your model of DV9000 ?

> Thanks Paul. I checked to see if I actually do have one and this is
> what I found when I did a search on dv9443 which is on the front
> sticker of my laptop. Above the screen is dv9000. This sad news came
> from HP Support
>
> The Vista webcam can be accessed by only a few specific video
> applications. It does not have a free-standing test viewer, and it is
> not listed as a device in the Computer window.
>
> Lori

I tried looking for references to that camera, and there are very few
web hits. The camera could be made by Z-Star Microelectronics, but
their website offers no drivers, and doesn't even acknowledge
that particular model. I expect anything custom made, would
not be mentioned on the site. I was hoping perhaps the camera
was used in some other product, in which case you could get a
driver from them. But so far, there are too few hits in my
search engine, to help you.

You could pick up a web cam. For example, I picked up a Logicam
Quickcam Pro 9000. What I noticed about that one, is it doesn't
maintain good lip sync, depending on conditions. It uses
variable frame rate, and the frame rate drops, if the lighting
is poor around the camera. If you drop the resolution setting
of the camera enough, and add extra lighting (halogen lamp),
then it works sorta OK. So if you do decide to go shopping
for a camera, make sure you read enough reviews, to get a
good idea of how it will perform. Frankly, I was let down
by the performance of the product I bought. I expect a
cheaper camera might have worked better (or been less of a
waste of money).

To find reviews, Newegg has customer reviews for many of
its products. Another source of reviews is Amazon. And
in a world of "fake reviews", it is pretty easy to tell
the fakes, because really, no webcam works that well.
As long as the defects mentioned are tolerable, then
depending on your finances, you could try one out.

If you're looking for particular application support, then
best type in the name of the application when doing searches
and the like. You'd be surprised what incompatibilities
pop up in things like Skype.

Paul

Jeff Strickland

"Kayla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Are you sure a webcam is included on your model of DV9000 ?

> Thanks Paul. I checked to see if I actually do have one and this is
> what I found when I did a search on dv9443 which is on the front
> sticker of my laptop. Above the screen is dv9000. This sad news came
> from HP Support
>
> The Vista webcam can be accessed by only a few specific video
> applications. It does not have a free-standing test viewer, and it is
> not listed as a device in the Computer window.
>
> Lori

I'm a bit confused. If you do not have a webcam already, I'm concerned that
there is an Uninstall Program for it. Be that as it is, if there is no
webcam, you can go to Walmart and buy a good one for $50-ish, or buy a
lesser quality brand for a few dollars less. I like the Microsoft VX3000 or
VX5000, these are USB-based and have a microphone already installed in them.
Yoiu can use the PC speakers and the camera/mic, and set up a speaker-phone
connection. It really is very easy.

Jeff Strickland

"Kayla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Are you sure a webcam is included on your model of DV9000 ?

> Thanks Paul. I checked to see if I actually do have one and this is
> what I found when I did a search on dv9443 which is on the front
> sticker of my laptop. Above the screen is dv9000. This sad news came
> from HP Support
>
> The Vista webcam can be accessed by only a few specific video
> applications. It does not have a free-standing test viewer, and it is
> not listed as a device in the Computer window.
>
> Lori

Sorry, I really _am_ confused, aren't I?

Skype should be able to see the camera you have, and you will find it in the
Skype Options (TOOLS > OPTIONS > VIDEO SETTINGS).