Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Do you need the stun server?

Re: Do you need the stun server?

Philippe Deleye

"Nigel" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:glf6bf$3lc$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put in the
> Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or is it best not
> to use it. Also is it worth using:-
> stun.justvoip.com:5060

If your FritzBox is used as a ADSL Modem, or directly connected to the
internet (e.g. Cable modem), then you do not need to enter a stun.
If your FritzBox is connected behind a router (e.g used as an ATA, or as a
"Client" in your local network, then you should enter a stun.
The only function of a stun server, is to find out behing which kind of
firewall you are. The stun also detects your external IP.

Philippe

Ivor Jones

In news:497b669e$0$2846$(E-Mail Removed),
Philippe Deleye <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
:
: > I am just setting up Just voip using a fritzbox. Do I need to put
: > in the Stunserver or not ? Will I get better quality if I do or is
: > it best not to use it. Also is it worth using:-
: > stun.justvoip.com:5060
:
: If your FritzBox is used as a ADSL Modem, or directly connected to the
: internet (e.g. Cable modem), then you do not need to enter a stun.
: If your FritzBox is connected behind a router (e.g used as an ATA, or
: as a "Client" in your local network, then you should enter a stun.
: The only function of a stun server, is to find out behing which kind
: of firewall you are. The stun also detects your external IP.
:
: Philippe

Hmm, which Fritz!Box..? My 7170 doesn't appear to have anywhere to put
stun server details. Unless I'm being particularly thick this evening, but
I can't see it anywhere.

Ivor

André Tuytschaver

Nigel a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I think you only get the option if you don't connect the 7170 directly to
> the internet.
> I don't because I use a cable modem which I then connect to a LAN socket on
> the Fritzbox. It could be also i have the geramn fritzbox?
>
> Has anybody charged a Fritzbox from German to English I have been looking at
> the forums and it seems quite easy - but I don't want to brick my box.

You will find more information here:
http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthr...hlight=english
Let us know how you did it and what happened.

--
Cordialement,
________________

__o
_'\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Philippe Deleye

"Nigel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:glhj65$rhh$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I don't because I use a cable modem which I then connect to a LAN socket

on
> the Fritzbox. It could be also i have the geramn fritzbox?

In this case you don't need stun.
You are connected directly trough the internet (via the Cable Modem), and
your device is not behind a router/firewall

> Has anybody charged a Fritzbox from German to English I have been looking

at
> the forums and it seems quite easy - but I don't want to brick my box.

I tried one and broke one Box already. Unless you desperately need the
English version, I won't do it.
Once your Box is set-up there is no frequent need anymore to go into the web
interface ...

Ph