Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: How to keep a HD awake?

Re: How to keep a HD awake?

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ersity wrote:

> I have a 500gb Seagate drive which has power settings that don't seem
> to be influenced by Vista. After a few minutes of inactivity, the
> drive goes to sleep, and while it might help stop global warming, I am
> finding it extremely annoying having to keep waiting for the drive to
> spin up.
>
> Is there any way I can keep the drive active so that it doesn't drop
> off to sleep?

You say that the drive's own power settings are ignored by Vista; is it
possible that it's Vista's power settings that are shutting down the
drive?

XP's power settings have the option of shutting down the disks after
some period of time; I'd think Vista would have something similar.

Never having even seen a Vista system, I have no way of knowing.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

John Holmes

Bert Hyman "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Never having even seen a Vista system, I have no way of knowing.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

--
<snip>