Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Front Page News > Razer Diamondback Plasma LE Review @ PC Modding Malaysia

Razer Diamondback Plasma LE Review @ PC Modding Malaysia

09-20-2005

Content: "Overall the Razer Diamondback Plasma LE is as perfect a gaming mouse can be as anything better than this would have something to do with lazer sensors. To be short, the Plasma LE is the best in its class. The mouse provided excellent responsiveness, thanks to its 1600 dpi infrared sensor and always ON mode. As for starters, this mouse may be a little too fast for you but fret not because the driver lets you adjust different types of sensitivity and speeds. Changing sensitivity without having to use the “Alt+TAB” button is also possible with the “On-the-fly Sensitivity” feature. Gamers will certainly love this feature as it gives total control over the mouse, which is a critical point for professional gamers."
Link: http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/content.php?review.299

09-20-2005
Ah, a tad behind the times but yes, I've had the Diamondback Plasma LE for about a month now. It's a great gaming mouse but my personal take on it is that as an everyday mouse it falls short in quite a few areas.
First is its weight. It weighs next to nothing and has a tendency to fly about on the desktop more than it should. I actually modded mine and added weights to it to stop this.
For most use the mouse is way too fast, luckily it has on-the-fly sensitivity control.
The side buttons are all but useless. Their positioning was not properly thought out and they tend to be way too difficult to press. I use my Logitech MX1000 (and prior to that, MX700, MX500 and so forth) and the side buttons are an absolute must for me. The Diamondback also has "lefty" buttons but they get in the way for right handers (as the right ones probably would for lefties).
All that aside it's wicked precise and just looks totally killer. But, but... It's now yesterday's news. Razer's new flagship is the Copperhead, a 2000dpi laser mouse with programmable weights and even more insane precision.
Details here:
Quote:

2000 DPI Laser Engine Powered by Razer Precision™
1000 Hz Ultrapolling™ with 1 ms response time as compared with 125Hz/8 ms response time used by other conventional gaming mice
32KB Onboard Memory Powered by Razer Synapse™
7 independently programmable buttons optimized with Razer’s Hyperesponse™ technology for ultra tactile button feedback and maximum actions-per-minute (APM) gameplay
Up to 3 customizable weight standards and optional dummy buttons*
Zero-Acoustic Ultraslick™ Teflon feet
16 bit data path, as compared to 8 bit and 12 bit data paths used by other conventional mice
High speed motion detection, up to 45ips and 20g / Over 7080 frames per second
Always-On™ mode pioneered by Razer™ - the laser engine sensor never powers down to provide instantaneous response at all times during gameplay
Award winning Razer™ drivers featuring On-the-Fly Sensitivity™ DPI adjustment pioneered by Razer
Size: 5.04" length x 2.5" width x 1.54" height
GlowPipe™ non-slip side rails
Ergonomic ambidextrous design
Ultra large non-slip rubber coated mouse buttons
Gold plated USB connector for maximum conductivity
7 foot, lightweight, non-tangle cord
Yeah, it's not cordless/rechargable. That'd be the icing on the cake here but oh well, can't have it all.

Click for larger image

09-21-2005
looks nice, outa my league, i am on of low DPI's, 400 DPI is real sweet for me when gaming.

09-21-2005
Why's it outta yer league? It's just a mouse, not a Yacht. I'm not sure if I'm gonna get the Copperhead myself, Logitech has a new mouse coming out any day now that has almost the same specs.

09-21-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholy
looks nice, outa my league, i am on of low DPI's, 400 DPI is real sweet for me when gaming.
I just got Sunbeam's 600 - 1200 dpi mouse in yesterday. It would prolly suit you.

09-23-2005
it prolly would hey? u know why... kause SUNBEAM ROCKS