Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Memory chips

Memory chips

Andy Petro

Is 576 mg of installed memory enough for win xp, pro. I do not download
games, music or songs.

Helpful guy

"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gle08n$49c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is 576 mg of installed memory enough for win xp, pro. I do not
> download games, music or songs.

In my experience 512MB is more than enough for the average XP user but there
may be circumstances when more is required. Has a skilled person examined
your computer to determine whether or not you need more memory or whether or
not you have many unnecessary programs running at startup?

G. Morgan

Andy Petro wrote:

>Is 576 mg of installed memory enough for win xp, pro.

It is, yes.

You will notice improved performance if you upgraded to 1GB. RAM is so cheap
you might as well just buy a 2GB stick.

--
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that,
I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. -Jack Handey

Sven Svensson

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:00:45 -0500
"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is 576 mg of installed memory enough for win xp, pro. I do not
> download games, music or songs.

576 Milligrams......That's way to small

--
We place two copies of PEOPLE magazine in a DARK, HUMID mobile home.
45 minutes later CYNDI LAUPER emerges wearing a BIRD CAGE on her head!

Sven Svensson

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 03:38:46 +0000 (UTC)
G. Morgan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Andy Petro wrote:
>
> >Is 576 mg of installed memory enough for win xp, pro.

> It is, yes.
>
> You will notice improved performance if you upgraded to 1GB.

Not on windows. I've tried with 512 Mb to 4 Gb. No difference.

> RAM is
> so cheap you might as well just buy a 2GB stick.

--
I hope the ``Eurythmics'' practice birth control ...

Blinky the Shark

Andy Petro wrote:

> Is 576 mg of installed memory

That's only a bit over half a gram. Try a gram and see if you can still
see straight.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

catchme

Andy Petro wrote:
> Is 576 mg of installed memory enough for win xp, pro. I do not download
> games, music or songs.

i had no idea memory was sold by weight.....
i must be of the old school, because I prefer to measure by storage
space, as in roughly 1 Gb.

Andy Petro

"catchme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VPIel.1864$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andy Petro wrote:
>> Is 576 mg of installed memory enough for win xp, pro. I do not
>> download games, music or songs.

> i had no idea memory was sold by weight.....
> i must be of the old school, because I prefer to measure by storage space,
> as in roughly 1 Gb.

It is 576 megabytes. Is this enough?

Evan Platt

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:00:45 -0500, "Andy Petro"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is 576 mg of installed memory enough for win xp, pro. I do not download
>games, music or songs.

576 megs? How do you get that? 1 512 and 1 64?

It doesn't matter what you 'download', it's what you do.

Spreadsheets? Word processing? Graphics?

512 should run a barebones XP. I'd go with 1 GB. It's dirt cheap.