Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Etymology of "Sinister

Re: Etymology of "Sinister

Chris Malcolm

HEMI - Powered <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Take a gander at these for the root of the word "sinister".

> http://www.dpjs.co.uk/moon.html
> http://www.yourdictionary.com/sinister

> Quite a number of countries, regions, religions, races, and ethnic
> groups have some varient of "sinister" from it's probably Latin
> origins. These groups/countries view being left handed as somehow
> evil,

[snip]

> So, you can imagine my surprise when I saw that President Obama not
> only signs things like Executive Orders with his left hand, but
> even uses the over-the-top writing style that traces it's origins
> to the pen-and-ink days where penmanship students needed to keep
> their hand from smearing the ink as then moved across the paper.

> Draw your own conclusions from this, of course. And, Happy TGIF!

I'd like to draw your attention to two more suspicious features of
Obama. Firstly not only is he left handed, which as you rightly point
out is most sinister, but he is black, a colour regarded by many
cultures for good reasons as symbolising death and evil. Secondly he a
foreign name, for the very good reason that his father is a
foreigner. As anthropologists have long noted, foreigners are widely
regarded with great suspicion by many cultures, and for very good
reasons.

I'm really surprised that you're actually prepared to live in the kind
of country which can vote for a left handed black foreigner.

--
Chris Malcolm

tony cooper

On 24 Jan 2009 02:51:56 GMT, Chris Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>HEMI - Powered <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Take a gander at these for the root of the word "sinister".

>> http://www.dpjs.co.uk/moon.html
>> http://www.yourdictionary.com/sinister

>> Quite a number of countries, regions, religions, races, and ethnic
>> groups have some varient of "sinister" from it's probably Latin
>> origins. These groups/countries view being left handed as somehow
>> evil,

>[snip]
>
>> So, you can imagine my surprise when I saw that President Obama not
>> only signs things like Executive Orders with his left hand, but
>> even uses the over-the-top writing style that traces it's origins
>> to the pen-and-ink days where penmanship students needed to keep
>> their hand from smearing the ink as then moved across the paper.

>> Draw your own conclusions from this, of course. And, Happy TGIF!

>I'd like to draw your attention to two more suspicious features of
>Obama. Firstly not only is he left handed, which as you rightly point
>out is most sinister, but he is black, a colour regarded by many
>cultures for good reasons as symbolising death and evil. Secondly he a
>foreign name, for the very good reason that his father is a
>foreigner. As anthropologists have long noted, foreigners are widely
>regarded with great suspicion by many cultures, and for very good
>reasons.
>
>I'm really surprised that you're actually prepared to live in the kind
>of country which can vote for a left handed black foreigner.

There's no place for him to move to. All of the rest of the world is
governed by foreigners.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida