Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird infected?

Thunderbird infected?

BlackNikon

I am using Thunderbird dutch Versie 2.0.0.19 (20081209).

Yesterday the firewall of Norman Suite gave a warning on an outgoing
process:

application AntiSpyware Definition Update
C:\Program files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe
external adres 213.0.3.24
external port 110 POP3- Post Office Protocol

I refused this activity, but I donīt like my system to be infected,
whilst using Norman Suite, Prevx Edge, etc.

I remember I got an email from a wellknown person, but send by
reunion.com. I didnīt open the email, but I infact allowed the html
pictures to be loaded and there it went wrong.
Around the same date of 4 jan I got an update of Thunderbird and I
remember that the update procedure didnīt work smoothly.

How can I remove this spyware, which I suppose installs a plugg in
into Thunderbird, because none of my 3 scanners finds anything?
Is it possible to get rid of it by uninstalling and reinstalling
Thunderbird? Can I save my settings and import the mailboxes of Thunderbird.

Hope somebody can help me a little bit=

Best regards,

Eric

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

BlackNikon wrote:
> I am using Thunderbird dutch Versie 2.0.0.19 (20081209).
>
> Yesterday the firewall of Norman Suite gave a warning on an outgoing
> process:
>
> application AntiSpyware Definition Update
> C:\Program files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe
> external adres 213.0.3.24
> external port 110 POP3- Post Office Protocol
>
> I refused this activity, but I donīt like my system to be infected,
> whilst using Norman Suite, Prevx Edge, etc.
>
> I remember I got an email from a wellknown person, but send by
> reunion.com. I didnīt open the email, but I infact allowed the html
> pictures to be loaded and there it went wrong.
> Around the same date of 4 jan I got an update of Thunderbird and I
> remember that the update procedure didnīt work smoothly.
>
> How can I remove this spyware, which I suppose installs a plugg in
> into Thunderbird, because none of my 3 scanners finds anything?
> Is it possible to get rid of it by uninstalling and reinstalling
> Thunderbird? Can I save my settings and import the mailboxes of Thunderbird.
>
> Hope somebody can help me a little bit=
>
> Best regards,
>
> Eric

first, a lesson: all your mail, passwords, settings,
etc, are stored in an area called the TB profile. This
profile is kept separate from the program. When you
uninstall, all you're doing is removing the program.
The profile is not touched. So, if you've received an
infected email, then the email is in the profile.
Therefore, if you uninstall and you're just removing
the program, then when you reinstall, the infection
will still be there.

My suggestion: you're probably not infected. Norton is
notorious for giving false positives, expecially
towards TB. I would get another program.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

kaplan3jiim@example.com

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:23:04 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BlackNikon wrote:
>> I am using Thunderbird dutch Versie 2.0.0.19 (20081209).
>>
>> Yesterday the firewall of Norman Suite gave a warning on an outgoing
>> process:
>>
>> application AntiSpyware Definition Update
>> C:\Program files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe
>> external adres 213.0.3.24
>> external port 110 POP3- Post Office Protocol
>>
>> I refused this activity, but I donīt like my system to be infected,
>> whilst using Norman Suite, Prevx Edge, etc.
>>
>> I remember I got an email from a wellknown person, but send by
>> reunion.com. I didnīt open the email, but I infact allowed the html
>> pictures to be loaded and there it went wrong.
>> Around the same date of 4 jan I got an update of Thunderbird and I
>> remember that the update procedure didnīt work smoothly.
>>
>> How can I remove this spyware, which I suppose installs a plugg in
>> into Thunderbird, because none of my 3 scanners finds anything?
>> Is it possible to get rid of it by uninstalling and reinstalling
>> Thunderbird? Can I save my settings and import the mailboxes of Thunderbird.
>>
>> Hope somebody can help me a little bit=
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Eric

>first, a lesson: all your mail, passwords, settings,
>etc, are stored in an area called the TB profile. This
>profile is kept separate from the program. When you
>uninstall, all you're doing is removing the program.
>The profile is not touched. So, if you've received an
>infected email, then the email is in the profile.
>Therefore, if you uninstall and you're just removing
>the program, then when you reinstall, the infection
>will still be there.
>
>My suggestion: you're probably not infected. Norton is
>notorious for giving false positives, expecially
>towards TB. I would get another program.

I'm getting an occasional similar alarm from Zone Alarm 8.0 Free
Firewall. Just began a few weeks ago. However I just get a URL and
no reference to a POP server. And it is telling me T-Bird wants to act
as a server, not just access the internet which it already has
standing permission to do.

These alerts do not correlate to a time when I am even interacting
with Thunderbird.

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting an occasional similar alarm from Zone Alarm 8.0 Free
>>> Firewall. Just began a few weeks ago. However I just get a URL and
>>> no reference to a POP server. And it is telling me T-Bird wants to act
>>> as a server, not just access the internet which it already has
>>> standing permission to do.
>>>
>>> These alerts do not correlate to a time when I am even interacting
>>> with Thunderbird.

>> yes! With ZA you will get 2 types of alerts. One is a normal alert
>> -- that TB wants to access the internet, and the other is TB wants to
>> "act as a server" alert. Just say yes to both. ZA is different than
>> other firewalls, and insists on this "server" crap. Its just normal,
>> and nothing to worry about.
>>
>> And, with ZA 7 and 8, sometimes it drops your "remember" settings, and
>> asks you again. Its very irritating at times. Its not a problem with
>> TB, but rather ZA.
>>

> I haven't had any such problems with ZA Pro (using SeaMonkey, not TB).
> Yes, I know, YMMV. Still, don't be so quick to condemn a product. This
> is complex stuff and there is an infinite number of configurations.

as you said Ed, YMMV. I get it all the time with
SeaMonkey and Thunderbird. Then again, I'm using ZA Free.

Mozmail vs. Thunderbird... Axl Firefox 5 08-19-2003 07:29 PM
Thunderbird Bryce Hardy Firefox 1 08-12-2003 03:19 PM
Linking Firebird / Thunderbird jimm67(nospam) Firefox 0 07-06-2003 01:46 PM

Advertisments